Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Nov 2010 (Friday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photek Softligther II

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 21, 2010 21:57 as a reply to  @ post 11324437 |  #151

I've never found the Softlighter to be fragile at all, and I don't exactly baby mine.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 21, 2010 22:04 |  #152

No, I don't think it's fragile at all either.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 21, 2010 22:04 |  #153

TMR Design wrote in post #11324449 (external link)
I've never found the Softlighter to be fragile at all, and I don't exactly baby mine.

Mine blew over in the wind outside and bent in two of the inner rods. I bent em back into place and it still works so far.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 21, 2010 22:09 |  #154

Nickc84 wrote in post #11324483 (external link)
Mine blew over in the wind outside and bent in two of the inner rods. I bent em back into place and it still works so far.

Well, that's a different story. Any umbrella that tumbles to the ground is more than likely to have some damage but I've never found the modifier to be fragile.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 21, 2010 22:11 |  #155

Mine have done well after a couple of years of light location work.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 21, 2010 23:39 |  #156

Ryan,
I think that's right.
I have two Softliters, several V1 PLMs, silver and white, and now several V2 PLMs silver and white.
Along with a collection of Octaboxes, softboxes etc. Also, a Moon Unit for an ABR800.
I think its time to do some comparison shooting. Unfortunately, I can't find an attractive model willing to spend the day while I do the shooting so it will have to be a mannequin.

Or, we could meet at a friend's studio just over the border into Indiana and spend a day testing all the various modifiers. You seem to have a ready supply of attractive test subjects. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

rohicks
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2010 00:08 |  #157

dmward wrote in post #11324850 (external link)
Ryan,
I think that's right.
I have two Softliters, several V1 PLMs, silver and white, and now several V2 PLMs silver and white.
Along with a collection of Octaboxes, softboxes etc. Also, a Moon Unit for an ABR800.
I think its time to do some comparison shooting. Unfortunately, I can't find an attractive model willing to spend the day while I do the shooting so it will have to be a mannequin.

Or, we could meet at a friend's studio just over the border into Indiana and spend a day testing all the various modifiers. You seem to have a ready supply of attractive test subjects. :-)

hah. The lack of studio would be our problem over here.

The SL2 and PLM are very similar and I think it's hard to nitpick each modifier from the other. Which is the main reason i bought the SL2 to replace my broken PLM. It's the closest you can get to that type of light. An octabox, softbox, and beauty dish will all be different in their output. Some more contrasty, some with the shadows wrapping better, and etc. It also depends on your subject and how their skin is too.

I've only used the SL2 on 3 or 4 shoots and it's pretty close to the PLM light. Big and soft spotlight. You'll get more output and throw from the PLM though. That's probably the main difference between them. Once thing I notice about both is that feathering the modifiers seems to create the best light. It creates wonderfully wrapped shadows and soft light on the subject.

Ryan O. Hicks
---------------
Portfolio (external link) - 500px (external link)
flickr (external link) - Dribbble (external link)
twitter (external link) - facebook (external link)

rohicks
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2010 13:07 as a reply to  @ rohicks's post |  #158

Aurielle

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Ryan O. Hicks
---------------

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 22, 2010 13:09 |  #159

Love it, Ryan.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 22, 2010 13:11 |  #160

Yep.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bulayog
568 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2010 13:20 |  #161

Ryan, I've been looking at your work lately and man, how much you have improved! They're simple and yet powerful. You are now my second sensei next to your buddy, Pham. I guess a very good model helps, too.

5D3|Some lenses|Some accessories

rohicks
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2010 13:27 |  #162

Seanzky wrote in post #11327345 (external link)
Love it, Ryan.

Thanks.
It helps that Aurielle is so beautiful to start with.

Ryan O. Hicks
---------------

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 22, 2010 13:28 |  #163

rohicks wrote in post #11327462 (external link)
Thanks.
It helps that Aurielle is so beautiful to start with.

Yes and no. I'm pretty sure if I took the photograph, I would have managed to ruin it. :lol:

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

rohicks
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 22, 2010 13:28 |  #164

bulayog wrote in post #11327416 (external link)
Ryan, I've been looking at your work lately and man, how much you have improved! They're simple and yet powerful. You are now my second sensei next to your buddy, Pham. I guess a very good model helps, too.

haha yes see post above ^.
Thanks a lot. I try to improve on every shoot, but not always possible with certain subjects in what they request or require. But personal work allows me to do things that I wish.

Seanzky wrote in post #11327466 (external link)
Yes and no. I'm pretty sure if I took the photograph, I would have managed to ruin it. :lol:

agh now i doubt it.
All i did was get her dad to hold a fan and blow her hair.
Mimicked a pose for her and positioned a light.

Ryan O. Hicks
---------------

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 22, 2010 13:34 |  #165
bannedPermanent ban

rohicks wrote in post #11324941 (external link)
Some more contrasty, some with the shadows wrapping better, and etc.

Shadows don't wrap, light does.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

sponsored links

94,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photek Softligther II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.