Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't plan a photography holiday in Kuwait

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 23, 2010 15:15 |  #16

nate42nd wrote in post #11334280 (external link)
This is just scary that a government entity can "ban" something like a DSLR. This is where we are all headed unless we open our eyes. Every government wishes it could have this kind of power. It makes me sick. (and makes me want to hoard AR-15s and ammo...haha) If someone comes to take my camera they will be in for a lot of armed resistance.

I'll let you have my DSLR when you can pry it from my cold, dead fingers. :D . . . just teasing. I don't disagree. That law is scary and a warning.

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 23, 2010 15:18 |  #17

DSLRs are overrated anyway.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 23, 2010 15:24 |  #18

cdifoto wrote in post #11334697 (external link)
DSLRs are overrated anyway.

Heh!

Is anyone living in Kuwait or nearby seeing this thread? I'm curious, I've never been there but it doesn't seem to be a "police state" -- I wonder how it's affecting people, and if it may just be a "passing fancy"...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MJF830
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 23, 2010 15:25 |  #19

glad my cell phone has a 8mp camera who needs a stinking DSLR lmao

Mike
Canon 7D / Canon Xti / Canon Rebel X 35mm /Canon 70-200mm f/4 L / Canon 28-135mm is usm / Canon 50mm 1.8 mk ii / Canon 18-55mm / Canon 35-80 mm / Kodak 80-210mm EF mount / 70-300 P.O.S. / Vivtar 383 / Tamarac Aero 75 /

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 23, 2010 16:13 |  #20

nate42nd wrote in post #11334642 (external link)

And this fact does not concern you? Here in the US we vote our reps into office. The people are supposed to control the government. it's not the govenrment's place to "ban" anything except under VERY RARE curcumstances. (like nuclear bombs) They shouldn't be able to "ban" guns....and certainly not DSLRs! It's more astounding every time I think about it!

Actually no it does not concern me.

The checks and balances in the countries I have lived means this is not likely to occur, or if it did, it would get overturned by courts very quickly. Living in countries where the rule of law is respected is a good thing.

One of the check and balances in the US method of government, is that if an elected representative votes for something (or does anything else) you disagree with, you have the right to vote for someone else at the next election. This means that the politicans tend to do what the majority of people want (not strictly true - but glossing over that), as they want to get reelected next term. That said - the only way the people control the government is with their votes, once an election has occurred, you are at the mercy of the individuals voted in until the next election (assuming other check and balances dont stop what they try to do).

There are other checks and balances beyond votes, being the courts, that can overturn laws that have been passed, but they are not in my mind controlled by 'the people', it's controlled by the rule of law.

Based on a quick read of Wikipedia, Kuwait operates a similar system of government, so I will respect their country's individual decision to govern itself how it wishes, especially since the report actually says most Kuwaiti people support the ban.

I'm not continue discussing this - as this is going to turn very political very quickly (if it hasn't already), and I like this forum....

Daniel

Ps. - I think Kuwait is off my list of ever visiting while this law is enforced, I dont agree with the ban, but respect it is the right of the Kuwaiti people to govern themselves.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 23, 2010 20:16 |  #21

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand, it is a bit on the excessive side. Unnecessary and poorly thought out.

On the other hand, we should respect other cultures as well. Within reason, of course, but it's not like this is genocide or female circumcision or something.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

TheGaffer
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2010 00:32 |  #22

tonylong wrote in post #11334730 (external link)
Is anyone living in Kuwait or nearby seeing this thread?

Well, I'm off to Kuwait shortly. I had been planning to take some rather conspicuous kit:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

My friends out there seem to be completely surprised by the news.

Some suggest that this is about journalists working out there without clearance from the authorities. Others suggest that it is one of the rules that can be ignored. There is more confusion than information at the moment.

Andrew

http://www.tug.com/ (external link)

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 24, 2010 00:47 |  #23

Last time I was in Singapore, it was illegal to chew gum.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 24, 2010 04:05 |  #24

Jeffro250 wrote in post #11334228 (external link)
I thought it was common knowledge that only spys and terrorists use DSLR's with huge, obnoxious lenses??
:lol:

SHUTTTTUPPPPP, You're gonna blow my coverrrrr!!!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 24, 2010 04:26 |  #25

mckinleypics wrote in post #11337384 (external link)
Last time I was in Singapore, it was illegal to chew gum.

To be fair I think it only illegal to litter or sell gum (you can import for private use). The reasoning is a bit unusual but makes some sense - their MTR (train) doors could get stuck with gum, so they eliminated the problem. If you look at most city streets they are covered with gum - which is pretty yukky and near impossible to clean off - we just don't notice any more.

Do canon make gum? For in the field sensor cleaning? He He.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 24, 2010 06:01 |  #26

:lol: The irony is that it may not be the reason but I came into some info that may explain their level of concern. I'm waiting for the first person to use a non-DSLR and try and argue why they can legal use it.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 24, 2010 07:36 |  #27

Hi. I was actually in kuwait this summer lugging around a dslr and I didn't run into any trouble. The best advice I can give is to never take pics of oil refinery equipment or infrastructure. Also do not take pics of ppl wihout permission. It is a very diverse place that accepts westerners. A large part of the population are foreigners working there.

To the people who are planning trips soon, im sure you will have an amazing experience. The best part about traveling is learning and experiencing and respecting other cultures.

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 24, 2010 13:17 |  #28

Grimes wrote in post #11338228 (external link)
Hi. I was actually in kuwait this summer lugging around a dslr and I didn't run into any trouble.

The ban only came into effect last week.

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 24, 2010 16:25 |  #29

TheGaffer wrote in post #11337353 (external link)
There is more confusion than information at the moment.

That's pretty much business as usual for Kuwait.

John.

Createsean
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2010 00:53 |  #30

I just saw the news here: http://www.geek.com …-obvious-reason-20101124/ (external link) and was planning to post about it, but looks like I was late to the party.

I'm looking for harsh criticism of my photos - tell me how to improve, I will be grateful.
My Gear | My web development business Caffeine Creations (external link) | flickr (external link) |My Photo Blog (external link)

sponsored links

5,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't plan a photography holiday in Kuwait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.