Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

mayuka
245 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2010 11:44 |  #1516

seb87 wrote in post #11270636 (external link)
the gitzo GC1201T or others ?

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=5382​98&page=46

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 16, 2010 06:00 |  #1517

Just taken delivery of 1541T and Q3T. Thank you Ben, and others, for all your in-depth observations.

There is just one issue that surprised me a little. The threads involved in the connection between the stud on the 1541T and the base of the Q3T appear to be quite a loose fit. It is as if the thread on the stud is UNC and the Q3T is Whitworth. Can anyone shed light on this?

Andy

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,609 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 16, 2010 17:32 |  #1518

Any of you using the RRS L brackets happen to have one on a 5D mark II? I've got an off-brand cable release and I have a VERY hard time getting it into portrait orientation. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the canon-brand cable release as well or if the connector on my off-brand cable is just too big.

- Kody

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 16, 2010 19:41 |  #1519

theague wrote in post #11296537 (external link)
Any of you using the RRS L brackets happen to have one on a 5D mark II? I've got an off-brand cable release and I have a VERY hard time getting it into portrait orientation. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the canon-brand cable release as well or if the connector on my off-brand cable is just too big.

According to the users, you have to loosen the screw and physically slide the L-bracket away from the body to make room for the cables.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,609 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 16, 2010 20:00 |  #1520

klr.b wrote in post #11297232 (external link)
According to the users, you have to loosen the screw and physically slide the L-bracket away from the body to make room for the cables.

Thx, I'll have to find the tool and try that!

- Kody

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 17, 2010 17:21 |  #1521

Andyh77 wrote in post #11293126 (external link)
There is just one issue that surprised me a little. The threads involved in the connection between the stud on the 1541T and the base of the Q3T appear to be quite a loose fit. It is as if the thread on the stud is UNC and the Q3T is Whitworth. Can anyone shed light on this?

Andy it's only initially that you're experiencing this right? Once you screw the ballhead on a few turns the stud fits the threaded hole properly? As I recall that's how mine worked, but it's been awhile since I put the ballhead on.

~Peter

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 18, 2010 00:47 |  #1522

Peter, it’s more than a looseness on the initial mating of the threads. It is loose until the platform of the 1541T begins to bear on the underside face of the Q3T. At this point you can achieve a rigid connection with a little more rotation and applying reasonable torque. Even though you can readily achieve a rigid connection I am concerned what is happening at the thread profile level (ie. Transfer of the load from the 1541T thread to the Q3T thread)

In another context I have experienced a failed threaded connection where UNC and Whitworth are mixed. In this case the nominal diameters and thread pitch were identical. However, because of the difference in thread angles between the two thread specifications there is the potential of high stress concentrations on the very tip of the threads. Let me say that I have no evidence that a mixed thread situation exists here. But I am concerned that the two components I have received have such a loose thread connection. Hence my canvassing the experience of others.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 18, 2010 08:59 |  #1523

I agree that you probably don't have mixed threads. I just tried to get my Q3T off the 1541T but I tightened it with a strap wrench and now it won't come off! :( Two things: 1- It's entirely possible you're suffering from tolerance, a teeny bit small on the stud, a teeny bit large on the ballhead. Just one of those things with the pieces you have. 2 - If you're really happy with both the tripod and the ballhead, dab a touch of blue Loctite onto the middle part of the stud and tighten the ballhead on quickly. That'll give you peace of mind.

~Peter

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2010 21:38 |  #1524

Well Andy I did get the Q3T off the Gitzo tonight and it's very loose to screw on. Not as loose on the Benro, but not by much. I have a second Q3T and that is definitely tighter on the Gitzo. So it looks like it's a tolerance issue on the inside thread of the ballhead base. I use a little Sears strap wrench (external link) on the panning base and it was really tough to unscrew, they seem to get tighter over time or something. If you use a strap wrench no need to over-tighten it...

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2010 21:40 |  #1525

Huh, well that would explain why some people felt they had to Loctite the head onto the tripod while mine has never even come loose... Interesting. I wouldnt have expected a variance in tolerance there of all places.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 24, 2010 22:45 |  #1526

peter_n wrote in post #11336734 (external link)
Well Andy I did get the Q3T off the Gitzo tonight and it's very loose to screw on. Not as loose on the Benro, but not by much. I have a second Q3T and that is definitely tighter on the Gitzo. So it looks like it's a tolerance issue on the inside thread of the ballhead base. I use a little Sears strap wrench (external link) on the panning base and it was really tough to unscrew, they seem to get tighter over time or something. If you use a strap wrench no need to over-tighten it...

That is very interesting Peter. Now that I am back in my workshop I have made a few measurements. I have measured the longitudinal float of the Gitzo stud part-way engaged in the Q3T base. I have made a similar measurement on a generic 3/8 inch – 16 TPI bolt and nut. The longitudinal float on the Q3T is 0.38 mm while on the generic bolt / nut engagement it is 0.10 mm. So there is nearly 4 times the float / play in the longitudinal direction when comparing the Q3T with a generic bolt / nut. Subjectively the bolt /nut has a reassuring feel to the fit, where-as the Gitzo stud / Q3T just feels sloppy and raises my concerns regarding strength.

Just to clarify a point I would like to stress that Loctite does not contribute to the tensile strength of the thread connection. It merely resists the undoing of the connection due to rotation. The tensile strength is largely a factor of the penetration of the thread crests into the valleys of the mating thread. If they do not penetrate too far then there is a risk that loading the connection, by tightening or by normal service loads, will just shear off the tips of the thread crests, with a catastrophic failure of the connection, (i.e. camera on the rocks). Loctite will not help in this situation.

I have put my observations to markins@gmail.com (external link) and hope to hear their considered opinion soon. I’ll report back here when that happens.

Andy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2010 00:14 |  #1527

Excellent work Andy! Very informative! Im anxious to see how they respond!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 25, 2010 08:19 |  #1528

Andy I bow to your mechanical ingenuity! You are right about the Loctite too, it's merely a seal on the connection and has nothing to do with the strength of it. Let's see what Markins have to say...

~Peter

seb87
35 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 02, 2010 10:22 |  #1529

if i buy the q3t and the rrs clamp , the screw comes with the clamp o i can use the one is just installed ? or i must buy another one ?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 02, 2010 14:25 |  #1530

The clamp screws into the stud that's on the ballhead. Markins use red Loctite to seal their clamp onto the stud, so when you order make sure you send them an instruction to remove the Markins clamp and they will do it for you using heat. It sounds bad but it's fine; they did it for me with no ill effects. If you want to use Loctite yourself to seal the RRS clamp onto the Q3T use the blue Loctite, the red is totally unnecessary IMHO. Enjoy the Q3T, it's a fantastic ballhead! :)

~Peter

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

727,180 views & 1 like for this thread, followed by 6 members.
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.