Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Unabashed (17)

this thread is locked
ShaneHunter
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2010 06:44 |  #9766
bannedPermanent ban

I'm here Chet. Just got home from work. Now to take a nap and go back and close the store at 6pm. Worked from 11p-7a earlier, then 6p-4a later. Yay for black Friday!

Bryson Shane Hunter (external link) Unicorns are my thing.
Flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
I don't have any gear, I make photos with paint cans. (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2010 08:11 |  #9767

Good morning. I'm still suffering from turkey overload.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2010 11:45 |  #9768

I went back to sleep, I couldn't wait. The 4am Black Friday purchase is currently programming itself.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2010 13:56 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #9769

Howdy All...

Hope everyone is having a good day of shopping, recovering or whatever.

Still fighting the computer battles here.

Returned the nVidia card but they wouldn't sell me a 512 ATI over the counter so I ordered one from Newegg. FedEx overnight and it's still cheaper than brick & mortar retail.

Next computer will be a freaking Mac. I give up...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2010 13:59 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #9770

I have to say that I've had my mac for 5 years. Husband has had his for the same length of time. No issues. It's just getting too old for current tech. Mac's worst problem is that like Adobe, after so many "updates" they stop offering updates for something this age. Except they will do security updates.

sorry about your computer probs Jay. :(

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Zilly
Cream of the Crop
5,086 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 26, 2010 13:59 |  #9771

Greg_C wrote in post #11347578 (external link)
In the words of 10cc.

In case you haven't guessed I'm just home from a day at the Cricket. Had a great time.

I stayed up (and inadvertently went 38 hours with no sleep) just to watch us get thrashed by you guys :rolleyes:

Happy thanks giving ya'll!

Dom
Follow my adventures on twitter (external link)
Car Photography (external link)

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 26, 2010 14:53 |  #9772

Zilly wrote in post #11349484 (external link)
I stayed up (and inadvertently went 38 hours with no sleep) just to watch us get thrashed by you guys :rolleyes:

Happy thanks giving ya'll!

Happy Thanksgiving to all

I reckon the game is about even now. We had a couple of slow sessions yesterday and only picked up our game when Hussey came in to bat. The late rain stopped things an hour early so we retired to the bar for a few more drinks. :D I had a great day but see more of the game when I'm at home and watch it on TV.

I don't think Clarke should have been in the team, the telling thing for his back injury will be whether he gets asked to bowl in the 2nd innings. The pitch is still looking green so will have some life left in it today and tomorrow. They got the covers on quickly yesterday but it did get a few drops of rain on it as the shower was quite heavy, this will help keep it green.

Like last year, we spent the day stirring our colleagues back at work, and the work mate that was sitting one bay over from us. We were in special members area, fully catered drinks with a sit down 3 course lunch.... which we sent photos of. He had beer and pizza... which he sent photos of.

I sent Harm an SMS early on in the day becuase I wasn't sure of his plans but haven't heard back. He had mentioned here that he might be there for a day. I had previously heard from him last weekend.

One from the phone. Interestingly the split looked to be 50/50 between Canon and Nikon shooters.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Greg
Blog (external link) | Photogallery (external link) | 1DmkIV + other stuff
Sanity is a madness put to good use.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2010 17:42 |  #9773

Permagrin wrote in post #11349483 (external link)
I have to say that I've had my mac for 5 years. Husband has had his for the same length of time. No issues. It's just getting too old for current tech. Mac's worst problem is that like Adobe, after so many "updates" they stop offering updates for something this age. Except they will do security updates.

sorry about your computer probs Jay. :(

It's just so damn frustrating...

You pay someone a fairly decent chunk of money and they don't do what you truly need them to do for you. I can't afford to just toss the system I have, re-buy all my software and stop everything to convert all my images from PC to Mac. Wish I could though.

I guess I just need to get better educated on what makes a computer work well with digital photography and learn to do this chit on my own. I really, really appreciate the help offered here.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2010 17:48 |  #9774

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11350527 (external link)
It's just so damn frustrating...

You pay someone a fairly decent chunk of money and they don't do what you truly need them to do for you. I can't afford to just toss the system I have, re-buy all my software and stop everything to convert all my images from PC to Mac. Wish I could though.

I guess I just need to get better educated on what makes a computer work well with digital photography and learn to do this chit on my own. I really, really appreciate the help offered here.

Unfortunately switching to a mac won't necessarily solve those problems Jay. Did you read the thread about the guy with a Macbook Pro that has had nothing but trouble and finally had to write Steve Jobs to get someone to try and fix it?
Being an educated consumer certainly helps though! and I find that I can solve most of my problems (electronically speaking as well as household items) on my own with help from internet friends. But if I have to rely on a shop to fix something for me, they better not screw me!!! I can see why you are upset.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Nov 26, 2010 17:53 |  #9775

First thing....you don't need a fancy video card for photo editing. There are only a couple of things in PS5 that can even take advantage of a power card. Key things for photo editing....RAM....lots of it and an OS that lets it all be recognized. XP can't recognize more than 4 gb of RAM....including the RAM found on the video card. Vista and 7 remove that limitation. Fast hard drives help....using a fairly small drive for your OS and placing your programs out to a second drive will speed the system up considerably.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 26, 2010 18:01 |  #9776

Woolburr wrote in post #11350570 (external link)
XP can't recognize more than 4 gb of RAM....including the RAM found on the video card. Vista and 7 remove that limitation.

It isn't the OS that limits how much RAM can be recognized. It's the bit level. Windows 7 32-bit can't see more than 4Gb, either. You need a 64-bit OS to see more (and there is a 64-bit version of XP).

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Nov 26, 2010 19:52 |  #9777

You are correct. I should have been more specific. 32 bit OSs can't address over 3gb of RAM effectively, most will report up to 4gb....even if they can't use it.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2010 19:55 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #9778

I guess this experience falls under the heading of "never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it twice (or three times, four times...)

<Shrug>

Jay

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2010 20:37 |  #9779

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11351028 (external link)
I guess this experience falls under the heading of "never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it twice (or three times, four times...)

<Shrug>

I'm approaching the "four times" on my recovery deal! :o I just bought a 1.5TB external to prepare for my move to Windows Home Server. Now I just need the newer version to finally come out!

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2010 00:03 |  #9780

Still eating left over mac 'n' cheese. :)

sponsored links

413,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Unabashed (17)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.