Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Nov 2010 (Friday) 12:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where & How can I buy a Canon 550D in the USA? Instead of it being Branded T2i

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 27, 2010 10:16 |  #76

I dunno why, part I partially agree with the op about the image of a Rebel body...

Here's why.

Most people have walked into a Best Buy or Ritz and looked at a DSLR casually. Maybe some even did extensive research. Maybe clients have some photographic background.

A rebel, while not a bad camera series just shows a lower tier in product quality. This could manifest into "He has cheap gear, his shots probably suck" or "He probably doesn't do this often enough to make real money and afford good gear"

While this is completely false, on a photographers stand point, perception is everything.

It's like putting a fully worked 2nd gen Rx7 with a stock body next to a porche boxster. The avg Joe schmoe will assume the porche will win everytime based on "perception of cost"

Or even better, you could pair an underpowered car with an experiences driver (i.e. The gwc) and he has a much better chance to succeed

I'm not going to lie. When I do shoots on location with clients, 75% of the time I'll shoot with a flash bracket I don't need because a client needs to feel they are working with a "pro" for them to feel comfortable (not always but for the most part)
I get always get a comment like "wow that's some serious gear" with a gripped 50D 430ex II and a 70-200F4

While it's not top tier equip, the bracket makes is presentable.

My .02

"Nobodys built like you....
.... You design yourself"
www.NeillDrake.com (external link)
Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

sponsored links
patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 27, 2010 10:41 |  #77

Same reason I buy the 1D mark II even though the picture quality is worst than my cheap 1Ti :D and I can't crop as much

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 27, 2010 12:32 |  #78

Some of that is true, however, the idea that a different sticker on the front is going to fool anyone into thinking you are using a "pro" camera is a bit far-fetched.

Drakeskakes wrote in post #11353296 (external link)
I dunno why, part I partially agree with the op about the image of a Rebel body...

Here's why.

Most people have walked into a Best Buy or Ritz and looked at a DSLR casually. Maybe some even did extensive research. Maybe clients have some photographic background.

A rebel, while not a bad camera series just shows a lower tier in product quality. This could manifest into "He has cheap gear, his shots probably suck" or "He probably doesn't do this often enough to make real money and afford good gear"

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 27, 2010 12:40 |  #79

I remember these types of discussions back when we had the choice between a silver body and a black body. I never thought I'd see things get to where we are discussing what sticker to have on a body.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 27, 2010 12:44 |  #80

If you really want to look professional, you should be using one of these:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

or these:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 27, 2010 14:07 |  #81

Drakeskakes wrote in post #11353296 (external link)
A rebel, while not a bad camera series just shows a lower tier in product quality. ...

This is absolutely untrue! Now, if you had said "a Rebel without a battery grip" I would have had to agree with you. :wink:

Only about 3% of the population have the knowledge necessary to watch me take pictures and realize that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. For the other 97%, a battery grip and a big white lens would give me unquestionable credibility. But that all falls apart if someone looks closely (or asks) and notices that I have the Costco T2i. A 550D logo and a couple of red rubber bands solve that problem.

With the encouragement of the camera makers, whether we want to or not, we all play this game to some degree. It's no coincidence that the most sought after cameras are the ones that look and feel like the old professional film cameras.

This reminds me of the conversations we used to have in high school. "I don't have long hair because it's cool, I just like it better this way."

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 27, 2010 15:09 |  #82

This conversation has a been brought up in terms of L lenses and the red ring

I sometimes feel like a fellow photographer or a hobbyist with limited knowledge who sees me from afar, sees that I use a 17-55 2.8 is without a red ring on it might not see me as "pro", yet the lens out performs most L's

I agree the size of the t2i conveys a cheaper look, a grip will certainly help the "image"
I feel that the text used on the rebel seems a little childish. Its too cartoonish for my taste

I feel a text more like the EOS would make it look better.

When it comes to racing cars, i'm all go and show. When it comes to instilling confidence in clients with an overly saturated market of GWC's, perception of professionalism may mean the difference between a paid gig or not

Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2010 15:11 |  #83

There's a whole thread on here for showing off gear, with people constantly asking for XXX lens on XXX body so they can see how it looks. So yes, people do care.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

dannn
189 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 27, 2010 15:56 |  #84

Dustman wrote in post #11348998 (external link)
Does anyone know of a place I can order this?? I just would prefer it to say 550D instead of the bright red T2i, no reason, except the red logo seems less proffessional & toyish in my opinion. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Technically for you (someone living in the US) the t2i and 550D are NOT the same products. the difference being that you will not have a US warranty if you purchase and import a 550D. just FYI in case you might not have picked up on this piece of advice from the others that have mentioned it.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Nov 27, 2010 15:58 |  #85

Send me the money, I will get one for you.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 28, 2010 10:24 |  #86

I wouldn't hesitate sending money to Neil; hell Ide send that man my kidney if he asked for it lol. That might be your best bet

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 28, 2010 13:37 as a reply to  @ Drakeskakes's post |  #87

The 550D's seem to be priced at least $150 higher than the T2i's. Is it even possible for a foreign retailer to compete with the US prices?

The only possibility I can see is to arrange a trade with someone from outside the US who wants the T2i logo instead of the 550D logo. Good excuse for a trip to Australia!

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Raizer
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 28, 2010 19:05 |  #88

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11349600 (external link)
As a true Nissan enthusiast, I can vouch for most of us on my350 since that has been a topic of discussion since the G35 came out and most of us feel as though it's blasphemy. The G is a great car in it's own right but most of us also think the Japanese version shouldn't have been labeled a skyline either as it's a V6 not straight 6 and didn't come with a GT-S or GT-R option. I swear that's the last I'll talk about it haha :)

Why does that matter?
Skylines didn't only come with straight 6's and from memory the GTR badge wasnt used before the PGC-10 and GTS came about with the R31.

flickr (external link)

theelectrician
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 28, 2010 20:30 |  #89

You say you wont spend a penny more on a 550D than you would a T2i but in essence you would be since you would be paying the same $amt but the 550D would not have a warranty

Photography is like a drug and I think I need an intervention.
50D w/BG-E2 - Sigma 30 f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 - Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon 430exII - Slik 500DX and Smith-Victor BH5 Ball Head

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 29, 2010 21:02 |  #90

If you want to look real professional, put an R-Type logo on it.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

sponsored links

5,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where & How can I buy a Canon 550D in the USA? Instead of it being Branded T2i
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.