Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Loosing a job to someone that is willing to do it for free...

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 17:26 |  #31

Grunch:

Stop taking the same pictures that someone can take for free

Edit...she sounds like any number of four letter words to me. You probably dodged a bullet. People that say "I'll get ya next time!" or "this could lead to future work!" are always full of ****.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,148 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 28, 2010 17:36 |  #32

You know, I do a lot of Pro Bono work but at my discretion. i have shot a small wedding for free where the couple were both 19 years old and the bride was 5 months pregnant. Both were in school and working full-time minimum wage jobs. Their baby needed the money more than I did. But that was my choice. I have also shot all my nieces and nephews weddings but I can also tell them "No Complaints" is the contract they sign or else I'll punch them in the chops ;)

I can't imagine someone using the "free" card as leverage. I would walk away.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:10 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #33

See if her closest competitor needs some photography work :)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2010 18:21 |  #34

To those recommending that she raise her rates or decline working for the lady in the future: be careful because you're starting to wade in the waters of discrimination. That water is hot.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mikekelley
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:24 |  #35

cdifoto wrote in post #11360195 (external link)
To those recommending that she raise her rates or decline working for the lady in the future: be careful because you're starting to wade in the waters of discrimination. That water is hot.

Doubt it. How is that discrimination? It's not like he's saying he's going to charge more because she's a certain ethnicity.

A good line to use would be "you got bad results the first time because the photographer couldn't pull it off, so now I'm going to charge more, because now I know exactly how hard the job really is."

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 28, 2010 18:28 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

mikekelley wrote in post #11360202 (external link)
Doubt it. How is that discrimination? It's not like he's saying he's going to charge more because she's a certain ethnicity.

A good line to use would be "you got bad results the first time because the photographer couldn't pull it off, so now I'm going to charge more, because now I know exactly how hard the job really is."

That's fine and dandy...as long as you can back up those big words. My understanding is the OP never shot dance before. What makes the OP an expert for this job? I shoot landscapes and I sure would not go into a dance studio thinking I can do better than someone else...even is that someone else does it for free.

mikekelley
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:32 |  #37

Hogloff wrote in post #11360224 (external link)
That's fine and dandy...as long as you can back up those big words. My understanding is the OP never shot dance before. What makes the OP an expert for this job? I shoot landscapes and I sure would not go into a dance studio thinking I can do better than someone else...even is that someone else does it for free.

Fake it till you make it, what else can I say. Pretty sure the likes of Chase Jarvis, Zack Arias, Joe McNally, etc, all have subjects that they haven't shot before, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't come back with something great - and you can bet your butt they're charging their full prices!

BrodieButler
94 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 28, 2010 18:35 |  #38

I really hate it when you get a client like this, but their business is something you really want to photograph. But at the end of the day, you have to let them go.

you need to make them want to go and save $$ and come back to you next year to do it properly. I had that once. felt good.

Brodie Butler (Perth, West Australia)
5D MK III, 5DMK II, Pro Lenses, Speedlights galore, Elinchrom User.
Automotive / Glamour / Portrait Photographer
www.brodiebutler.com/b​log (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2010 18:37 |  #39

mikekelley wrote in post #11360237 (external link)
Fake it till you make it, what else can I say. Pretty sure the likes of Chase Jarvis, Zack Arias, Joe McNally, etc, all have subjects that they haven't shot before, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't come back with something great - and you can bet your butt they're charging their full prices!

Full price, sure. But not a **** surcharge. You can't have someone pay extra fees just because you think they MIGHT be difficult. Your rates better be higher across the board and for everyone if you're going to up them if/when she comes back.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mikekelley
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:38 |  #40

cdifoto wrote in post #11360262 (external link)
Full price, sure. But not a **** surcharge.

It's not a **** surcharge - it's an updated estimate gained from new information about the job.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2010 18:41 |  #41

mikekelley wrote in post #11360265 (external link)
It's not a **** surcharge - it's an updated estimate gained from new information about the job.

That "new information about the job" better be legitimate. As it stands, she simply has an attitude and that makes it a **** surcharge.

mikekelley
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:43 |  #42

cdifoto wrote in post #11360277 (external link)
Without something legitimate to back that up, it's a **** surcharge.

What is she going to do, sue me for services I didn't render or something?

Ha. Seriously. I wouldn't be afraid to charge more for a job after finding out that someone had tried to do it and failed. Now I know that the job is probably more difficult than I anticipated, and an updated quote would reflect that.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2010 18:45 |  #43

mikekelley wrote in post #11360283 (external link)
What is she going to do, sue me for services I didn't render or something?

Ha. Seriously. I wouldn't be afraid to charge more for a job after finding out that someone had tried to do it and failed. Now I know that the job is probably more difficult than I anticipated, and an updated quote would reflect that.

Good luck with that. You'd have to find out why the original photographer failed first. Their failure is not an indication that it's more difficult than you anticipated in an of itself.

mikekelley
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 28, 2010 18:46 |  #44

cdifoto wrote in post #11360297 (external link)
Good luck with that. You'd have to find out why the original photographer failed first.

No, I really wouldn't. I'd just have to know that they failed.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2010 18:48 |  #45

mikekelley wrote in post #11360304 (external link)
No, I really wouldn't. I'd just have to know that they failed.

It's not that simple. If you're a popular, well known, excellent portrait photographer and the original photographer never shot a portrait in his or her life, you cannot charge more for a particular portrait session just because the original photographer failed at shooting portraits.

sponsored links

7,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Loosing a job to someone that is willing to do it for free...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.