Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WEAPONS OF CHOICE

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2010 09:34 |  #61

george m w wrote in post #11180858 (external link)
I remember standing at the counter of a local camera repair shop one day. The year was about 1974, and I was picking up my camera from a repair, and I casually asked the shop owner, "do you have any tips on shooting weddings?" He stopped what he was doing, peered over the top of his glasses and said, "yeah. Don't".

bw!

Hey, you were duly warned! :p

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

sponsored links
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 28, 2010 09:51 |  #62

Hey, you were duly warned!

Yeah, and you know what Richard ? I pretty much took his comment to heart ! However, I did some wedding shooting in the 80's. A few of them were kinda fun, but for the most part, I found that for me personally, it's just not what I enjoy doing with a camera. I did cave in this last summer and traveled to Vegas to shoot the wedding of some close friends. It was fun because it was four days of partying leading up to it ! LOL. But it did remind me that it's not something I want to shoot a lot.
However, the 1Dmk2 with a 24-70 2.8, on a custom bracket with a 430EX on top, did the deed. That was my number one workhorse for the day.....and it's a pretty solid combo for that kind of work.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2010 10:17 |  #63

george m w wrote in post #11181042 (external link)
Yeah, and you know what Richard ? I pretty much took his comment to heart ! However, I did some wedding shooting in the 80's. A few of them were kinda fun, but for the most part, I found that for me personally, it's just not what I enjoy doing with a camera. I did cave in this last summer and traveled to Vegas to shoot the wedding of some close friends. It was fun because it was four days of partying leading up to it ! LOL. But it did remind me that it's not something I want to shoot a lot.
However, the 1Dmk2 with a 24-70 2.8, on a custom bracket with a 430EX on top, did the deed. That was my number one workhorse for the day.....and it's a pretty solid combo for that kind of work.

I've shot numerous weddings for friends and relatives. All for free, and I give them the service and the photos as a gift. This is fun for me, as friends and relatives tend to be a bit more forgiving. I can tell you however that there are some friends and relatives I absolutley would NOT shoot a wedding for, and have in fact declined for made-up reasons. If you want perfection, call a pro. I've seen some people who employed seasoned professional wedding photographers yell, scream and sue over photo packages that I was really impressed with after reviewing. People want way too much, expect way too much, and then complain about everything after the fact.

Would I want to do weddings for a living? I'd rather stick forks in my eyes!

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 28, 2010 10:18 |  #64

george m w wrote in post #11180858 (external link)
I remember standing at the counter of a local camera repair shop one day. The year was about 1974, and I was picking up my camera from a repair, and I casually asked the shop owner, "do you have any tips on shooting weddings?" He stopped what he was doing, peered over the top of his glasses and said, "yeah. Don't".
LOL....probably the best advice I ever got on the subject !

Good call:lol:

Without this sounding like a CV,, I first picked up a SLR in 1972 or 1973 (can't rightly remember).. Landed a job as a photography assistant in 1978 and department head by 1984 for the photographic unit of a large steel plant shooting industrial and commercial photography.. Four years study in commercial photography and four years self employment as a photographer.. Then I was offered a job in 1990 for a newspaper which I took and worked there for 17 years.. Retired from pro photography in mid 2007..

Yep,, I shot a few paid weddings but my last two were for favours to friends and the only ones shot on digital.. I probably only shot a dozen or so weddings in my time..

Would I today shoot a paid wedding.. No way Jose!!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2010 10:19 |  #65

reecesp wrote in post #11179603 (external link)
oh not a problem....

The people who have booked have had recommendations from the seasoned photogs that I know, and have seen a number of shots including studio portraits and live (natural) open air shots with parades/dancers and so on....

I'm in the uk North East, and its more a stroke of luck than anything else (I assumed most starts are) - I have relatives who work in charities and pr agencies up here, and Ive photographed several of their public events, alongside their official photographers... (hense meeting the pros)..... and its these meetings that seem to be leading the dance (i.e. asking me to join em on shoots/working in the studio etc).....

Thank you reecesp,

It does appear that you're able to use initiative and I congratulate you upon that at a time when many idle their time away and are content to remain unemployed - I'm talking UK here.

If there's one piece of advice I'd like to give you which I don't think has already been mentioned in this thread is, not only to get hold of a decent flash gun such as a Canon 430ex2 or, better still, a 580ex2 and learn how to use flash properly both indoors and out. Practise using it in all sorts of situations and in varying weather conditions from very dull to bright sunshine as a fill-light. Learn how to bounce it indoors and have some sort of diffuser handy.

Good luck with what you're going to do because you'll definitely need some of that.

David :)

David

rweav72
137 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 27, 2010 23:12 |  #66

Check out the equipment line and take note of general consensus
Zooms -2.8
Primes at least 1.8
Overlap of ranges so if you accidently drop a lens, you're not dead in the water.
At least 2 bodies with ISO 1600 capability (ISO 3200 would be better)
Back up batteries for cameras
Back up memory cards (Sandisk, some like Transend)
Two flashes (backup to everything.)
Go to Neil Vankirk's site on on-camera flash
Search for http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com (external link)

Not trying to be a pain, just sharing what I've learned in the last 2 years.

Ron Weaver
Canon 7D, 50D, 1D classic, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS
Nissan 622, Vivitar 383, Yongnuo 560 (3)

Cyl0n
93 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 27, 2010 23:21 |  #67

Wow incredible thread:lol:

CANON IDMII 5DII 7D 16-35mm f/2.8L 17-40mm f/4L USM 24-70mm f/2.8L USM 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM 50mm f/1.8 II 85mm f/1.8 USM 135mm f/2L USM 200mm f/2.8L-II USM 2X EF II 1.4X EF II

MP4/8
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 28, 2010 01:50 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Apollo.11 wrote in post #11177403 (external link)
I'd like the OP to start a thread on how to get gigs. 4 weddings and no kit, incredible.

bw!

Canon T2i ** EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 ** EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS ** EF 50mm f/1.8 II ** EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro ** Lensbaby ** Canon S5 IS P/S camera
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." : Albert Einstein

Flint666
114 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 29, 2010 16:50 |  #69

insurance?

A Camera & Some Lenses

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 29, 2010 18:26 as a reply to  @ richardfox's post |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

So, did the OP pull it off or what? Guess we would never find out.....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 29, 2010 18:52 |  #71

I just read through this all and just realized this thread is at least a month old into the grave until it was brought back to life!

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2010 19:49 |  #72

Subscribed for end results.

Gear List

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 29, 2010 20:10 |  #73

As a hobbyist who enjoys reading here to improve my own skills AND also as someone who has been interviewing photogs for my own wedding, I always ask for examples and equipment list. Just as many of us use these forums to learn, brides and grooms use the net to learn what questions to ask of any potential photographer for their wedding. Show me what you have done and show me what you use are my first two questions. If you are a professional, you should be equipped as such. Just my $0.02.

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2010 20:32 |  #74

CaptB412 wrote in post #11366740 (external link)
As a hobbyist who enjoys reading here to improve my own skills AND also as someone who has been interviewing photogs for my own wedding, I always ask for examples and equipment list. Just as many of us use these forums to learn, brides and grooms use the net to learn what questions to ask of any potential photographer for their wedding. Show me what you have done and show me what you use are my first two questions. If you are a professional, you should be equipped as such. Just my $0.02.

Very good points. Everybody started out knowing nothing! There's nothing wrong with asking questions, and no question is dumb!

albatros
71 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Nov 30, 2010 08:55 |  #75

Attention potential wedding photographers, it's all in here:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …r-first-wedding-acronymss (external link)

Have fun.

sponsored links

8,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
WEAPONS OF CHOICE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.