Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 30 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A session with Aurielle

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2010 06:48 |  #1

some shots from recent session with a model that has crazy potential to become a model

Behind the Scenes Video here http://www.facebook.co​m …/video.php?v=47​0107648356 (external link)

and another thread of aurielle here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=961765

---------------

Aurielle Model ~ Crazy Hair

another shot from Aurielle's shoot

here i have her doing some crazy motions with her hair, head banging was requested by me and both Ryan O Hicks that night,

so after the shoot i bet you she was saying to her mom.. about how sick she was with head banging - lol.. haha..

but the head banging was well worth it..

it achieved for us:

1. Motion
2. Interestingness
3. Edge

lighting was 2 lights in this hall way

1. Back lighting was AB1600 Gelled with Red filter with 86 PLM way back high up. (i had to clone out the stand)
2. Quadra with Deep Octa about 5 feet camera left

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed100
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOff, Did not fire

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5281/5218945715_d0652d7076_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/5218945715/  (external link)

---------------

Aurielle Model ~ Portfolio Grey Seemless

Aurielle and I are trying to get a portfolio started for her..

she is in her early 20's and i feel she has great potential to go far in the beauty business of modeling ..

The Grey Seemless was provided by Ryan O Hicks, setting this thing up and taking down is a real pain.. thanks for bringing this Ryan..

to get this shot we had to have..

1. A fan for hair
2. Key lighting was the Quadra camera left @ 2.8 power
3. Side lighting was the 60 inch Softlighter in with AB1600 @ 1/2 power camera right rear for the fill

about the skin work.. (i am still learning skin work, the dodge and burn, at pixel level, takes really long.. so i am experimenting with other methods that gets good results but much less time.. ) i do know the simple plug in's don't get the pro results you want so don't do plug ins..

3 layers..

1. top layer is a high pass filter @ opacity of 33 percent with blending mode of overlay
2. 2nd layer is a cleaned up layer of skin smoothing opacity of 88-90 percent
3. original layer that was hand cleaned up with photoshop spot healer manual mode

BTW it is weird to work with Grey Seemless for me.. it isn't my style... haha

Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed50
Exposure Bias0 EV

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5214566472_25e2d262cb_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …214566472/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)

---------------

had another shoot last night..

this shot is classified as personal work...

this fall hasn't given me much time for any personal work. So i am glad things slowed down for me to do some work with my friend Ryan and Aurielle (bride to be)

this shot was 2 lights..

1. back ground light on the wall is a 86 Inch PLM with AB1600 @ about 1/2 power

2. key lighting was the Elichrom Quadra with 40 inch Deep Octa @ 2.0

set up shot here www.facebook.com/photo​.php?fbid=101002165079​43278&set (external link)... by Ryan O Hicks

i had the cactus V4 trigger on the side of the camera to trigger the Alien Bee system

Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed50
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOff, Did not fire
Image Width5616
Image Height3744

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5208009282_1df3aab24c_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/5208009282/  (external link)

---------------

Aurielle Model ~ Platinum with film leak

just working on some split toning..

added a layer of Film Light Leak just to see what happens

The Grey Seemless was provided by Ryan O Hicks, setting this thing up and taking down is a real pain.. thanks for bringing this Ryan..

to get this shot we had to have..

1. A fan for hair
2. Key lighting was the Quadra camera left @ 2.8 power
3. Side lighting was the 60 inch Softlighter in with AB1600 @ 1/2 power camera right rear for the fill

about the skin work.. (i am still learning skin work, the dodge and burn, at pixel level, takes really long.. so i am experimenting with other methods that gets good results but much less time.. ) i do know the simple plug in's don't get the pro results you want so don't do plug ins..

3 layers..

1. top layer is a high pass filter @ opacity of 33 percent with blending mode of overlay
2. 2nd layer is a cleaned up layer of skin smoothing opacity of 88-90 percent
3. original layer that was hand cleaned up with photoshop spot healer manual mode

Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed50

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5247262601_26a95189ab_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …247262601/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)

Set up shots... courtesy of Ryan O Hicks

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sponsored links
slikscott
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 30, 2010 08:10 |  #2

Simply put... WOW!

Scott O. Amateur Photography

JFusion
851 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 30, 2010 08:58 |  #3

All great shots. I think her body position looks a little off to me though in the first for some reason. Maybe her leg positioning is a bit too extreme, I don't know. I'll look again after I finish my morning coffee. :D

Jeremi
http://www.jeremiblurt​on.com (external link)
JB Photography - Facebook Fan Page (external link)
5D Mark iii, 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 Macro 2.8, Nifty, 100-400 4.5-5.6L and a bunch of other stuff.

charlesml3
245 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 30, 2010 13:58 |  #4

I wish her hair wasn't covering her right eye in the first shot. I keep looking at it and thinking "I wish I could see both eyes." Outside of that, it's really striking. Lots of impact in this shot.

The 2nd shot has one of my pet peeves in it. The arm extends out of the frame.... and then it comes back. It's OK to chop off part of the outside of the elbow, but if you're going to do that, loosen up or move left to catch the inside of the elbow in the frame.

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 30, 2010 14:57 |  #5

Great shots like always pham! I might be coming down to Indiana over christmas break, maybe we can line something up to shoot together!

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

amckenzie4
507 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2010 15:24 |  #6

Very nice! I'm especially fond of the third, though I have to wonder about the blur -- what is it? Something you did, or something passing in front of her?

-Alex (Flickr (external link))
Gear:
Canon AE-1P with a Tokina 50-250 zoom and some shorter lenses
Canon 60d, Canon 28-135 IS USM Tamron 70-300 VC, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 85 1.8.

glxtrix
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 30, 2010 16:57 |  #7

Beautiful shots!

Lee
5D Mark III
flickr (external link)

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 30, 2010 17:01 |  #8

Wow, love your work. #3 is downright amazing.

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 01, 2010 09:51 |  #9

JFusion wrote in post #11369454 (external link)
All great shots. I think her body position looks a little off to me though in the first for some reason. Maybe her leg positioning is a bit too extreme, I don't know. I'll look again after I finish my morning coffee. :D

lol.. i didn't know creative posing had any rules..haha.. i know personal choices..

charlesml3 wrote in post #11371037 (external link)
I wish her hair wasn't covering her right eye in the first shot. I keep looking at it and thinking "I wish I could see both eyes." Outside of that, it's really striking. Lots of impact in this shot.

The 2nd shot has one of my pet peeves in it. The arm extends out of the frame.... and then it comes back. It's OK to chop off part of the outside of the elbow, but if you're going to do that, loosen up or move left to catch the inside of the elbow in the frame.

about the crop.. i have the full arms but i wanted to focus on her face and hair, so to me, the hair is so much more important than the elbow.. but again, it is personal choices for crops..

amckenzie4 wrote in post #11371545 (external link)
Very nice! I'm especially fond of the third, though I have to wonder about the blur -- what is it? Something you did, or something passing in front of her?

it was a blur layer in post.. just needed some motion tied in to the photo and i thought that worked for me..

@ everybody else.. thanks replying.. i know this board active and getting replys are difficult at times.

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

amckenzie4
507 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 01, 2010 10:05 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #10

it was a blur layer in post.. just needed some motion tied in to the photo and i thought that worked for me..

Ah! It definitely works.

-Alex (Flickr (external link))
Gear:
Canon AE-1P with a Tokina 50-250 zoom and some shorter lenses
Canon 60d, Canon 28-135 IS USM Tamron 70-300 VC, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 85 1.8.

JFusion
851 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 01, 2010 10:09 |  #11

phamster wrote in post #11375805 (external link)
lol.. i didn't know creative posing had any rules..haha.. i know personal choices..

"Creative posing" follows the same general "rules" as any posing. For example, the same things that look awkward/unnatural in standard or traditional posing have the same affects in creative posing. Of course it's pretty common to throw out all sorts of things in the name of creativity and/or art, but to suggest there aren't "rules" (more like guidelines, suggestions,...) is kind of silly. That obviously could also lead to a discussion of what is creative or what is art, but like you said..."personal choices".

Anyway I don't think it was the pose that bothered me before my coffee really. After looking at it again I think I found the bright spot distracting.

Jeremi
http://www.jeremiblurt​on.com (external link)
JB Photography - Facebook Fan Page (external link)
5D Mark iii, 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 Macro 2.8, Nifty, 100-400 4.5-5.6L and a bunch of other stuff.

karlos108
84 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 01, 2010 10:12 |  #12

I have really loved seeing this series as it comes up on flickr Pham! Each shot is so unique she will have a fantastic portfolio already just from you. Crazy model potential indeed!

I keep getting drawn back to the "Crazy Hair" shot, love the colours in that!

Karl.

flickr (external link) facebook (external link)

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 01, 2010 10:35 |  #13

JFusion wrote in post #11375897 (external link)
Anyway I don't think it was the pose that bothered me before my coffee really. After looking at it again I think I found the bright spot distracting.

i sorta agree with the bright spot.. i can't control that area, the ground was too reflective..

i did try to burn down that area, and it made it look too dark for her cloths because it kinda blended into her black outfit..

i guess i could have turned down the back ground lights..

live and learn.. right?

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

JoJo2fast
Goldmember
1,758 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 01, 2010 10:36 |  #14

Awesome set Pham! This stuff is amazing!

Jordan
http://jordanvoth.com/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/jordanvothphotograph​y (external link)

kraaazymike
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 01, 2010 10:59 |  #15

Hey Pham,

As much as as we appreciate your work, I also want to add a thanks for including the setup info and a little behind the scenes so we can continue to learn! Great shots!

sponsored links

7,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
A session with Aurielle
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.