Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy the Sigma 50?

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2010 12:51 |  #1

Hey everyone,

I received my Canon 50mm f/1.4 yesterday and am not particularly impressed. It's not a bad lens, but it definitely seems like a compromise in every sense (contrast, build quality, bokeh, cheap micro USM, etc.). I guess I should have expected this based on the reviews...Anyway, I can't afford the 50L at this point, so the Sigma 50mm seems like the best choice. So I have a few questions:

-Is the 50mm shipping with the new finish? Specifically from Amazon as B&H is sold out.
-If you've sent one in for focus calibration, how long did you have to wait for it to be returned?
-What aperture do you consider the Sigma usable at (in terms of contrast and sharpness)? f/2-f/2.2 seems to be my limit on the Canon.
-How's the hood? Do you use it?

Thanks!

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2010 12:57 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

The lens finish should not matter. It would be nice if the one you are getting has the newer finish. I believe the service turnaround time is within a week, assuming they didn't need your camera to match the lens. I have Sigma recalibrated mine with my 1dmarkIII on the spot, an hour wait. Once it is recalibrated, f1.4 is usable but depending on the subject. I won't shoot half portraits at 1.4. Maybe at F2 or F2.5. I noticed that once it is recalibrated, the lens AF faster. Yeah, I use the hood, why now. It is a much better hood than the Canon one.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 30, 2010 13:00 |  #3

-Is the 50mm shipping with the new finish? Specifically from Amazon as B&H is sold out.

Does it really matter?

-If you've sent one in for focus calibration, how long did you have to wait for it to be returned?

It was pretty fast, less than a week I believe, but mine was only sent one state over

-What aperture do you consider the Sigma usable at (in terms of contrast and sharpness)? f/2-f/2.2 seems to be my limit on the Canon.

That depends how sharp you really want it, wide open it is a little "dreamy" but stopped down to 2.0 and I would not really hesitate to use it. Mine becomes super sharp at 2.8.

-How's the hood? Do you use it?

Good and yes

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2010 13:02 |  #4

themadman wrote in post #11370703 (external link)
Does it really matter?

It's not a factor in my purchase decision, just curious and if there was a particular retailer that had it in the new finish I would buy from them.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

DDL
453 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 30, 2010 13:29 as a reply to  @ jt354's post |  #5

I was hoping to get the new finish one just because it's newer (which may mean that it's been around long enough to get the manufacturing and design bugs out but who knows) plus the fact that some people have had issues with the old finish flaking (but there is no long term history on the new smooth finish to say it's more durable than the old EX textured finish).

I felt p*ssed when the salesguy forgot to give me a price match (less than $15) but felt better about it when I realized that I had the received a new finish 50 mm lens.

I guess it's just human nature to want the "latest".

DDL

GearList

rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2010 13:56 |  #6

If it's not sharp at 1.4 why not consider the nifty fifty 1.8(mine is very sharp wide open), and the Siggy 85 1.4(drool)

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Please 'Like' my fan page by clicking here (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 30, 2010 13:58 |  #7

rsieminski wrote in post #11371026 (external link)
If it's not sharp at 1.4 why not consider the nifty fifty 1.8(mine is very sharp wide open), and the Siggy 85 1.4(drool)

You know what the OP said about the Canon 50 1.4? It all applies to the nifty as well, lol

(slightly edited portion in bold)

It's not a bad lens, but it definitely seems like a compromise in every sense (contrast, build quality, bokeh, cheap AF, etc.).

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2010 14:00 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

themadman wrote in post #11371034 (external link)
You know what the OP said about the Canon 50 1.4? It all applies to the nifty as well, lol

(slightly edited portion in bold)

To add that the 50 f1.8 is all plastic!!!!! Can break in half too...... What AF?

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2010 15:13 |  #9

I'd love to have the 85mm -- on a full frame camera. I used to have an 85mm f/1.8 and didn't like the FL on crop. As for the nifty, I'm not thrilled with the bokeh samples I've seen and would rather have the durability of the Sigma over the two Canon lenses. I've also been spoiled by ring USM :cool:

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)

StuDizzle
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2010 15:26 |  #10

TooManyShots wrote in post #11371046 (external link)
To add that the 50 f1.8 is all plastic!!!!! Can break in half too...... What AF?

FYI, size difference from the Sigma 50mm to the Canon 50mm f1.8

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1393/4731283061_ba20fd49a5_z.jpg

O_o Flickr (external link)

Canon 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F/4 IS | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,807 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 30, 2010 15:40 |  #11

James, nice portfolio. I especially like the B&W landscape of the tree on top of the mesa. :)

I think you're going to like the Sigma 50/1.4. I too had the Canon 50/1.4 - a very good copy - and found it somehow lacked "character" when compared to the Sigma. My second attempt at getting a Sigma landed me a gem (the first was not good, not at all). I'm shooting it wide open at distances from a few feet to 30 feet and it's delivering consistently good results. Same thing with all aperture settings; consistently good results.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, & MLI explained (external link)

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2010 18:37 |  #12

Thanks! Just ordered it off Amazon and I'm praying it's usable enough to get me through New Years without needing calibration.

Stu, as for the size and weight difference, I'm not too concerned. It probably won't see much time as a "backpacking lens," and when it does I'll probably leave the 100mm macro and 70-200mm behind. I do wish it were a little smaller to minimize the "intimidation factor" for street photography.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2010 19:48 |  #13

Does the finish matter I say yes although I just ordered one and will get it Friday. I am hoping for the new finish because I hate the finish of the Sigma lenses. But the most important is getting a good one I would not send it back if it comes with the old finish.

I just ordered from Abes of Maine and they are selling them for $444 also a person here got one from them about three weeks ago and it had the new finish

StuDizzle
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2010 21:32 |  #14

James Weaver wrote in post #11372526 (external link)
Stu, as for the size and weight difference, I'm not too concerned. It probably won't see much time as a "backpacking lens," and when it does I'll probably leave the 100mm macro and 70-200mm behind. I do wish it were a little smaller to minimize the "intimidation factor" for street photography.

Ah! Don't get me wrong, the sigma is bigger but it feels like a solid quality lense. Once I got mine, I can't remember the last time I took it off my camera :)

O_o Flickr (external link)

Canon 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F/4 IS | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 30, 2010 21:37 |  #15

My Sigma 50/1.4 is very sharp at 1.4 -- shots at infinity focus are all very sharp at 1.4, suggesting that any 'softness' in closer subjects is a function of DoF and not softness.

The contrast increases a bit if you stop down to 1.8 or 2.0. The bokeh at 1.4 when you have a close subject is indeed very dreamy. If your background blur includes a lot of out of focus circles and highlights, I think the uniformity of illumination (and the roundness) get a little better stopping down a bit too.

That said, its performance at 1.4 is outstanding, just because it improves stopping down is not an indictment of its performance wide open.

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

sponsored links

5,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy the Sigma 50?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.