Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TESTED :: Canon 70-300 L 4-5.6 IS vs. Canon 70-200 L f4 IS vs. Tamron 70-300 VC

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 29, 2010 15:51 |  #16

Combatmedic870 wrote in post #11365225 (external link)
Gotta wonder if the turkey may have been undercooked and hes been in the er of a couple of days :)

Maybe he had to kill the turkey him self and the tables turned in favor of the turkey while he was tring to take a close up shot of the turkeys eyeball....

Maybe he is waiting to catch a turkey in flight. This might be a while.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

sponsored links
Combatmedic870
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2010 15:54 |  #17

bw!

CheshireCat wrote in post #11365293 (external link)
Indeed this is possible.
If so, the turkey has probably stolen his POTN account and I hope it posts the shots we all requested :p

I sure hope so!:D

Nikon D700: 16-35 F4, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8,105 VR Micro, 135F2 DC, 80-200 2.8 AFS
Olympus XZ-1
,Ryan
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.:oops:

Combatmedic870
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 29, 2010 15:55 |  #18

Roroco wrote in post #11365296 (external link)
Maybe he is waiting to catch a turkey in flight. This might be a while.

Hahahahhahaha! Yes that would.

Nikon D700: 16-35 F4, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8,105 VR Micro, 135F2 DC, 80-200 2.8 AFS
Olympus XZ-1
,Ryan
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.:oops:

onin60
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2009

Nov 30, 2010 23:58 |  #19

Sorry for the delay guys - the turkey was delicious, I had my fair share for sure!

I think I might have wished the turkey was bad instead of my office getting broken into over the holiday =( I spent the majority of my time dealing with that mess... it could have been worse, but I lost about $1500 worth of stuff (none of it photo gear luckily).

On to the tests. Thanks for all the suggestions - going into this I had really high hopes of being able to accommodate everyone, but here is what I learned (among other things)

1) Testing takes TONS of time. Holy cow. I had no clue. Also making up the 100% crop comparison sheets took hours and hours just by themselves. This might be the last time I do a test like this - I don't think it is my cup of tea. Much respect to those that that have tons of patience to do hundreds and hundreds of shots and scenarios!

2) There are so many variables and "scenarios" the combinations become staggering when you do the math. This is just one test, from one dude. THIS IS NOT THE END-ALL BE-ALL TEST... by any stretch of the imagination. It is just MERELY MEANT TO BE ONE TEST to cater to the curiosity of people that might not have ready access to these lenses at this point. Nothing less, nothing more. Thanks in advance for respecting that =)

3)The main reason I was doing these tests was to compare the 70-300 Tamron against the 70-300 Canon to decide which to purchase. So I wanted to put it through pacing that I would follow on a regular basis with my camera body (this included how well auto-focus on the MKII worked with these). I realized I had to pick my testing criteria selectively, so here was my formula - I know I will get a lot of complaints from the nitpicky, but hey it was my test and circumstances, so I look at it as "some test is better than no test"

Outside, Full Sun
Tripod mount
Remote Trigger
Auto-Focus (I shoot a lot of AF so this was important to me)
Known Distances
Test for Detail (vs Saturation or Contrast)
Test f5.6 and 4.0 apertures
Test maximum apertures on focal lengths matching the 70-200mm f4
RAW, full manual controls (except AF) ISO 100
Images grids posted as JPGs low compression (very little visual difference)

4) The ones with RED X's are ones where the auto focus was clearly not correct. So please don't consider them in the tests.

5) I also did some tests under a strobe, and some misc ones with a watch and some other fabric.

6) I didn't have time to do the 100-400mm, sorry =(

MY CONCLUSIONS

1) The Canon was the clear winner in my book. The Tamron consistently had a "haze/glow/softness" on a lot of shots, and exhibited a fair amount of chromatic aberrations.

2) The construction quality between the two lenses was dramatic. The Canon just felt solid.. it was great to work with.. much like all their other L-series. The Tamron wasn't awful, it just couldn't compare though.

3) Don't really know how I feel about it, but the Tammy seemed to punch in a little closer at the same focal length markings. 300mm on the Tammy compared to the Canon looked like 310ish. Odd.

4) If you have the 4x budget over the Tamron.. get the Canon. If you are on a budget, honestly the Tamron is a pretty remarkable lens for the price point. Great photography is about technique, great composition, and being at the right place, at the right time to get the perfect shot. If you have something fantastic to look at, no average person is going to critique it like all of us are doing.

I have more thoughts, but I'll hold them for now - it's late, and I wanna get these results posted, so you can form your own opinions (which I am sure you will.. ha!) I need to get to bed.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Gallery: 1740 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 01, 2010 00:19 |  #20

What a shoe. :lol:

Jokes aside, appreciate the effort. Though I must say... there were quite a few more OOF shots than I would have expected across the board... but seemingly more (albeit slightly) with the 70-300L. Probably just a fluke and I hope it's not a cause for concern.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 01, 2010 01:19 |  #21

onin60 wrote in post #11374087 (external link)
I think I might have wished the turkey was bad instead of my office getting broken into over the holiday =( I spent the majority of my time dealing with that mess...

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're able to bounce back quickly.

1) Testing takes TONS of time. Holy cow. I had no clue. Also making up the 100% crop comparison sheets took hours and hours just by themselves.

I call this "preaching to the choir". :D

4) The ones with RED X's are ones where the auto focus was clearly not correct. So please don't consider them in the tests.

Talk about a time-consumer, but I eventually settled down on taking around 15-20 shots per focal length and aperture, usually consisting of 5 using AF (forcing refocus each time), 5 with MF, 5 with live view, with a few bonus frames taken. Then I'd choose the single best out of that whole lot. Yes, it takes time, so good effort here.

I've actually got a bunch of comparison shots between the 7-3 VC and 7-2 f4 IS (with and without 1.4x TC). Let's just say that the Tamron is a good lens and the L is a freak of nature. :lol: Maybe I'll take the time to post them up and comment. Or maybe just piggy back off this thread ;)

Good effort.

ABC

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 01, 2010 02:34 |  #22

You do occasional get out of focus ones which is why I tend to shoot a couple shots. If I am indoors, I also preview on my computers while testing.

Regardless, thanks for the test!

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

mapawe
34 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 01, 2010 03:59 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #23

Thanks for this big comparison. I was a little nervous about the 70-300 being sharper than the 70-200. I did not realize, that we were talking about the L-Version until i read jwcdds' post. Whew!
Sold the normal 70-300 to finance the 70-200 some months ago.

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2010 05:27 |  #24

Thank you so much for the tests, Onin60!! We really appreciate your effort!

Is it my eyes, or does the 70-300 look sharper than the 70-200 when it acquired focus well?

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

kingbob734
869 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 01, 2010 05:39 |  #25

Great comparison thanks! Will be having a look at this a lot more i think :D

Gear List flickr (external link)
5DIII | 7D | 24L | 35 | 85 | 105 | 17-40L | 70-200L II | 430EX II | 580EX II

TheNewGuy01
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 01, 2010 06:25 |  #26

sorry to hear about the break in....

Thanks

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2010 08:30 |  #27

Good job! Sure wish the Canon 70-300mm IS (non L) could have been included.

Thanks for your efforts!

John57
162 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 01, 2010 12:13 |  #28

Alex_Venom wrote in post #11374866 (external link)
Is it my eyes, or does the 70-300 look sharper than the 70-200 when it acquired focus well?

Yes it does look sharper ....

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 01, 2010 12:35 |  #29

Very nice comparison - looks like the new 70-300 L is a winner! I wonder how the 70-300 IS compares to the new L. Obviously, the L is of better build quality but I wonder in terms of image quality how it stacks up.

This 70-300 is sharper wide open than my 100-400, that's for certain. Hopefully, that lens is on Canon's list for updates soon also.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 01, 2010 12:49 |  #30

After a lot of research - this thread included - I decided to bite the bullet and get the 70-200 f/4 IS (found a refurb for $950) and maybe a TC instead of this lens. Not because I think the results are better on the 70-200 - because it looks like the opposite is true - but because it is very hard for me to justify 6-700 dollars more for the 70-300L.

Hopefully the price will come down on this bad boy next year and I can make the trade, but for now... I hope I made the right decision.

Thanks!

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

sponsored links

26,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
TESTED :: Canon 70-300 L 4-5.6 IS vs. Canon 70-200 L f4 IS vs. Tamron 70-300 VC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.