Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Decision time/Sigma service

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 02, 2010 18:17 |  #1

Hey again :/

Sorry to start another thread on this, I'm not getting any replies on the old one and figured a new thread would be less confusing. I recently purchased both a Sigma and Canon 50mm f/1.4. I love the sharpness, build, and bokeh of the Sigma (really no comparison IMO), but of course it has an AF issue.

In addition, Amazon didn't package the lens properly, and it was sliding around freely in the packaging box during shipping. No idea if this affected anything...

Finally, there's a bit of dust in the lens (it was present before use). Will Sigma clean this for free under warranty? In general, what costs are involved in calibrating (shipping, etc.)? How long does it usually take?

Ugh, maybe I should just keep the Canon.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 02, 2010 18:21 |  #2

If there is an af issue, just send it in, I don't see what is with the anxiety people have with sending gear in for calibration.

Costs, you pay to ship it to them, they do the rest.

Time? Mine took less than a week, but it may take longer depending how fast you ship to them and how far they are, how busy they are, etc.

Dust, don't worry about it, it won't affect anything.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2010 18:23 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Send it in. The turn around time is usually within a week. Lens recalibration is under warranty coverage. I have mine done 2 weeks ago. They will also clean the lens too and even updating the firmware. The issue here is that if they can get the focus fixed without your body. I actually visited Sigma in person. They needed my 1dmarkIII to recalibrate the lens. Everything was done within an hour or so.

If the first time they can't get the focus fixed, you may have to send in the lens and body the second time.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,807 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2010 19:35 |  #4

What is the AF issue?

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, & MLI explained (external link)

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 02, 2010 20:44 |  #5

Front focus. Amazon's sending me a replacement, which hopefully will be usable for an event I'm shooting on Monday. Microadjust would make this a lot easier...

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,807 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2010 20:49 |  #6

I think you did the right thing. Imo, you (or anyone else) shouldn't have to send a brand new lens in for "calibration".

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2010 20:50 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

twoshadows wrote in post #11385846 (external link)
I think you did the right thing. Imo, you (or anyone else) shouldn't have to send a brand new lens in for "calibration".

Yeah but we all know Sigma...:) Canon isn't any better...

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,807 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2010 20:54 |  #8

No question, Victor. Duds come in all brand names and sizes. :)

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2010 22:41 |  #9

James Weaver wrote in post #11385826 (external link)
Front focus. Amazon's sending me a replacement, which hopefully will be usable for an event I'm shooting on Monday. Microadjust would make this a lot easier...

Without microadjust, buying a 3rd party lens with large aperture is often frustrating, you definitely need some good luck in order to get a decent copy. I once ordered a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on Amazon, exchanged twice and the 3rd copy is not much better than the 1st 2. I returned it instead. I would get at least a 50D before venturing into 3rd party large aperture territory.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 02, 2010 23:43 |  #10

Aside from MFA I honestly have no need for a 50D for the "work" I do. If the 60D supported microadjust and had a decent AF system I'd consider it (I could go on a 60D rant at this point :mad:) I'll probably use the 40D until the shutter goes and get a 5D Mk III or 7D Mk II at that point. If I'm lucky Sigma #2 will at least be usable until I have time to get it calibrated.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Decision time/Sigma service
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.