Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Dec 2010 (Friday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Photography Newbie

johnle15
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2010 12:18 |  #1

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a T2i and currently playing with Lightroom. How would I got about making this photo better. I imagine I'm going to be taking a lot of people shots for my finance. This is my feeble attempt below.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
marcus769
642 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 03, 2010 12:35 |  #2

maybe post your Exif data.. its OOF, but would need that data to possibly know why.

7D, 40D, 28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, 580 ex II

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2010 13:20 |  #3

when i do group shots and one person bends down, i always tell them to stand nice and tall!! she isnt blocking anything important.
and to get this shot better, just correct the white balance.

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 03, 2010 13:39 |  #4

my guess is your shot was taken at a really slow shutter speed. It's tough to hand hold and shoot slow. Also, the lighting in the room was bad. If your image was shot .jpeg, not too much can be done to salvage the WB.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

johnle15
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2010 14:44 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #5

Here's my EXIF data and link to the RAW file.

RAW image (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2010 17:56 |  #6

what lens are you using?

if possible use f2.8, they are standing in a line so DOF should be fine ( i did one with f1.4 and the second person was just slightly OOF), use a lower ISO setting, combined with a larger aperture you should be able to use the same shutter speed. if they dont move 1/30 is fast enough.

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

MindlessConsumer
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2010 18:21 |  #7

Thats quite a high ISO, which accounts for the graininess,

johnle15
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2010 22:24 |  #8

I was using the kit lens 18-55mm. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

1shot4u
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2010 18:09 |  #9

Quick edit

[IMG]<script src='http://img560.imagesha​ck.us …e/?i=img4301org​.jpg&p=tl' (external link) type='text/javascript'​></script><noscript>[IMG]http://img560.imagesha​ck.us/img560/1792/img4​301org.jpg (external link) (external link)</noscript>

Stephen Shell
Canon G12.

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 04, 2010 21:31 |  #10

The quick edit above looks pretty good, just not sure about the "squatter." I would have to second the "stand up nice and tall" comment.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2010 08:17 as a reply to  @ jsinon's post |  #11

My guess would be a bit of camera shake at that shutter speed. Assuming that you were standing about 10-12 feet away from the subjects, the DOF at f/5 should have been plenty to keep everyone in focus. Shooting wide open at 3.5 also would have provided enough DOF at that same distance. Also, be mindful of your focus point...if you leave it up to the camera, it will choose the point where there is a distinct change in contrast (such as that at the edge of the sign and the lighter colored wall...which could be why I can almost read the small print). At that image size, the edit looks "okay", but any larger and you'll notice that its OOF. Also, the the left arm on the girl third from left is completely blown out...keep an eye out for this sort of thing when composing. Unfortunately, except for re-shooting, you can't fix an OOF image...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom Photography Newbie
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.