Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 18:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is it worth to change?

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 03, 2010 10:36 |  #136
bannedPermanent ban

illrooster132 wrote in post #11387853 (external link)
this would be very noisey to my tastes. hence the use of low iso on my cameras.
im not professional. but i would not keep anything that shows a hint of noise. is too distracting for me.
i guess i will have to rent a lens a try it for my self.

The 1DsIII will be quite a bit worse than my shot (remember that's a 12800iso shot on D3s so 6400iso on D3). It's also a 100% crop with not lumi NR added. So it can be cleaned up if noise is distracting. Personally I don't mind the grain, it's nice and smooth (unlike the grain on the 40D) and adds character (YMMV).

I wonder though, you said a 50d shooting 1600 was impressive to you. I'd imagine 1600 on a 50D would be at best like shooting at 3200 on a D3. Shooting at 800 would therefore be super clean for you. :)

Really it comes down to the MP. :)

sponsored links
Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 03, 2010 10:45 |  #137
bannedPermanent ban

VinnieJ wrote in post #11387675 (external link)
When I had my 7D I tried never shooting over 1600 or 800 for video. Now I have no issues shooting at 6400 with the D700.

When I had a 5Dii I mainly kept to 3200 or below. Only going to 6400 for emergencies. With the D3s I keep it 12800 or below going to 25600 for emergencies... Unbelieveable. :) on a D3/D700 I would go to 6400 no problem and keep 12800 for emergencies.

A 1DsIII has worse noise than a 5Dii I hear :shock:
Great AF and lots of MP though... Oh and nice files when used for landscape/studio stuff for sure. :)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 03, 2010 10:46 |  #138

the D3 file will be alot cleaner than the 50D file for sure, even the 1Ds mk3 file will be cleaner but not as much

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

illrooster132
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 03, 2010 10:49 |  #139

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11388468 (external link)
The 1DsIII will be quite a bit worse than my shot (remember that's a 12800iso shot on D3s so 6400iso on D3). It's also a 100% crop with not lumi NR added. So it can be cleaned up if noise is distracting. Personally I don't mind the grain, it's nice and smooth (unlike the grain on the 40D) and adds character (YMMV).

I wonder though, you said a 50d shooting 1600 was impressive to you. I'd imagine 1600 on a 50D would be at best like shooting at 3200 on a D3. Shooting at 800 would therefore be super clean for you. :)

Really it comes down to the MP. :)

NOW! there is hope!:D . remember i do enlargements. so no noise is good for me. i dont do much p-p all i do is sharpening on gimp. and is good to go. some pimple removal at max. :lol: i meant a little clean up. :rolleyes:

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 03, 2010 11:24 |  #140

You can get a 5D Mark II for just about what you can sell the Nikon for, you might have to come up with a few hundred more but the 5D Mark II is pretty close to the Nikon D3.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2010 13:09 |  #141

illrooster132 wrote in post #11388041 (external link)
hummm. where to start? what is the highest iso without noise to make an enlargement 18x24 per say?. i could go as high as 20x30 depending on the picture .
like i said. i use natural light so indoors high iso is likely my situation. my 50D has done a good job at 1600:D ( very impressed ). but i dont think i can push it more.
dont really know.:( . so far i've only done one concert and few indoor shoots but i see more in the future as they were pleased with the results.;)

The native ISO on the 1Ds III is 1600 and expands to 3200. Most of the things I shoot is landscapes so I'm always in the ISO 50-400 range. The 1Ds III is nice but, it's nothing compared to your Nikon D3 when it comes to ISO performance. If you're going to shoot low light stuff, the Nikon D3 is the winner in ISO.

illrooster132
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 03, 2010 18:09 |  #142

i just made a mistake... went browsing and found amazons reviews from actual users and some that switched from canon.
there is no stop of praises given. maybe there is something about this camera:confused:
i think is time to focus on something besides cameras. ( right!! ):o
anyhow. i will give this baby a run. will post when i can get evrything together. ttfn for now.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2010 18:30 |  #143
bannedPermanent ban

illrooster132 wrote in post #11388553 (external link)
NOW! there is hope!:D . remember i do enlargements. so no noise is good for me. i dont do much p-p all i do is sharpening on gimp. and is good to go. some pimple removal at max. :lol: i meant a little clean up. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. Noise isn't too bad if you're enlarging though because it's relative to the viewing distance (I often go up and pixel peep billboards :p ).

It's really up to you. As you said, you should try out the D3 an make up your own mind. :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2010 20:36 |  #144

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11390904 (external link)
Fair enough. Noise isn't too bad if you're enlarging though because it's relative to the viewing distance (I often go up and pixel peep billboards :p ).

It's really up to you. As you said, you should try out the D3 an make up your own mind. :)

Hi! I'm Adrian and I'm a pixel peeper. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:;)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2010 22:02 |  #145

I just love photo equipment (camera-any brand, lens, flash, everything).
I use Canon and have a lot of investment in it already, but if someone gave me a Nikon D3, I'd just buy a nice normal lens (prolly a 50 or the 35) and use that as it is... just for fun.... unless of course, you have other need.....
Have fun...

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2010 02:26 |  #146
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #11391364 (external link)
Hi! I'm Adrian and I'm a pixel peeper. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:;)

LOL

Hi! I'm Julian and I'm a Megapixelaholic. I just can't get enough of that pixelhol!

(in case the casual viewer wonders, my name is Adrian and JDizzle's name is Julian).

RL.
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 04, 2010 02:52 |  #147
bannedPermanent ban

i would sell the d3 and 1 5d and get a 5d mark 2

Canon > Nikon

illrooster132
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 04, 2010 17:42 |  #148

i got it today . from my relatives. is missing the battery , charger , the box and the paper work. it does have 2 sandisk extreme ducati edition 8GB cards:D. my 2 50D's are very afraid. ;)
i just purchased the battery and charger . ( third party ) to try it out . i will get the nikon nifty for testing purposes. if i dont like is for sale or tarde for 5d mk2:p

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

illrooster132
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 04, 2010 18:47 |  #149

how do you know what lens fit what body?????????????

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2010 18:51 |  #150

illrooster132 wrote in post #11396110 (external link)
how do you know what lens fit what body?????????????

All Nikon lenses fit. Even from waaay back.

The way back ones though may not have all the functions (for example you may have to focus manually).

edit:

Actually this (LINK (external link)) is the ONLY lens that fits :D

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

sponsored links

15,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
is it worth to change?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.