Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 02, 2010 20:54 |  #1531

In my case I requested no Loctite with my order. The delivered ball, stud and clamp had no evidence of being previously assembled with Loctite. The delivery was approx 4 weeks ago.

darthjones
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 03, 2010 20:56 |  #1532

I noticed that the twist locks on my new Gitzo 1541T look kind of faded. The effect is cool but I suspect that I was given a used set. Considering how much I paid for it, that just won't fly. Is this normal, or did B&H pull a fast one on me?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2010 21:01 |  #1533

Huh, that is odd. Mine set is over two years old now and dont look that faded. Try a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol on them, maybe its just dust or something from the manufacturing process.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

static808
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 03, 2010 21:38 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1534

actually, that faded look seems about the norm for tripods that have been sitting on the shelf for a bit. i use my 1541t frequently, so the oils on my hands are probably keeping the rubber looking nice and fresh.

i just went tripod shopping and purchased some gt3530s gitzo legs and the locks looked like that on three copies of the same legs. im assuming it was because these were the discontinued models and were sitting on the shelves while the gt3531s' were being sold. they all looked and functioned brand new (i tried three copies because im THAT anal). FWIW, the gt3530s and gt3531s are practically the same tripod minus a weight hook, and because it was a discontinued item the store sold it to me for 550. oddly enough, i called gitzo and it also qualifies for the current rebates, so i just got a $725 tripod for $510. score!

Rob

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2010 21:42 |  #1535

static808 wrote in post #11391642 (external link)
actually, that faded look seems about the norm for tripods that have been sitting on the shelf for a bit. i use my 1541t frequently, so the oils on my hands are probably keeping the rubber looking nice and fresh.

i just went tripod shopping and purchased some gt3530s gitzo legs and the locks looked like that on three copies of the same legs. im assuming it was because these were the discontinued models and were sitting on the shelves while the gt3531s' were being sold. they all looked and functioned brand new (i tried three copies because im THAT anal). FWIW, the gt3530s and gt3531s are practically the same tripod minus a weight hook, and because it was a discontinued item the store sold it to me for 550. oddly enough, i called gitzo and it also qualifies for the current rebates, so i just got a $725 tripod for $510. score!

Oh wow! Thats a pretty darn good deal! Lucky find!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

static808
249 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 03, 2010 22:12 |  #1536

ben_r_ wrote in post #11391666 (external link)
Oh wow! Thats a pretty darn good deal! Lucky find!

thanks ben. lucky indeed. if anyone in the Los Angeles area is looking for these legs, Silvio's camera in Torrance had two more when i left.

just used some rubber conditioner on the leg locks, wiped them down real well afterwards (since the conditioner makes them a tad slippery), and they look like new. all is well.:D

Rob

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2010 20:01 |  #1537

Andyh77 wrote in post #11342378 (external link)
That is very interesting Peter. Now that I am back in my workshop I have made a few measurements. I have measured the longitudinal float of the Gitzo stud part-way engaged in the Q3T base. I have made a similar measurement on a generic 3/8 inch – 16 TPI bolt and nut. The longitudinal float on the Q3T is 0.38 mm while on the generic bolt / nut engagement it is 0.10 mm. So there is nearly 4 times the float / play in the longitudinal direction when comparing the Q3T with a generic bolt / nut. Subjectively the bolt /nut has a reassuring feel to the fit, where-as the Gitzo stud / Q3T just feels sloppy and raises my concerns regarding strength.

Just to clarify a point I would like to stress that Loctite does not contribute to the tensile strength of the thread connection. It merely resists the undoing of the connection due to rotation. The tensile strength is largely a factor of the penetration of the thread crests into the valleys of the mating thread. If they do not penetrate too far then there is a risk that loading the connection, by tightening or by normal service loads, will just shear off the tips of the thread crests, with a catastrophic failure of the connection, (i.e. camera on the rocks). Loctite will not help in this situation.

I have put my observations to markins@gmail.com (external link) and hope to hear their considered opinion soon. I’ll report back here when that happens.

Andy

Aren't the rubber bands an issue in your test set up? If so, why not?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 04, 2010 20:35 |  #1538

While I'm not Andy, I'd venture a guess that his apparatus is pushing down on the ball head rather than trying to lift it. So the rubber bands would be irrelevant.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2010 20:43 |  #1539

Why is up and down play such a concern? I'd be much more worried about side to side.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2010 21:46 |  #1540

The rubber bands are holding down the head with a vengeance. A force of several kilograms is required to initiate any movement at all between the Q3T and the timber member under it. On the other hand only minimal force is required to lift and lower the stud (to overcome the weight of the stud and the gentle spring tension of the dial gauge). It is this up and down movement of the stud that the gauge is measuring.

There certainly is a lot of slop on the side to side movement but this is more difficult to quantify in a repeatable way. The up and down movement is a good indicator of the overall slop in the connection and gives repeatable results. The vertical float is almost independent of how far the stud is engaged into the Q3T, unlike the side to side movement.

I have not heard back from Markins yet, so it’s about time to send off a reminder.

Andy

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2010 22:38 |  #1541

What this doesn't account for is the stabilizing pressure of the ballhead screwed down onto the platform of the tripod. The Ballhead does not depend on the stud strictly for up and down stability. The interference of the tripod platform is going to cause any slop in the bolt/threads to be driven to one side or the other of the tolerance - it I'm understanding what you are trying to look at. If you were to look at any play here, you need to do it when mounted on the tripod and measure it that way. If I have this correctly, this may be an interesting artifact but not representative of the mechanical system when installed.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 05, 2010 05:33 |  #1542

If there is too much slop / play in a threaded connection prior to the final tightening, then there is a risk that the connection may fail upon tightening or service loading. In the limit case this is due to the high stress concentrations that occur as the load attempts to be transferred from the very tip of the thread crest on one side of the connection to the corresponding tip on the other side.

I am curious to know whether the manufacturing tolerances of Markins and Gitzo can explain my observation of a very loose thread and

peter_n’s observation in #1524 that:

“…… it's very loose to screw on. Not as loose on the Benro, but not by much. I have a second Q3T and that is definitely tighter on the Gitzo.”

Andy

CitizenMinistry
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 05, 2010 23:04 as a reply to  @ Andyh77's post |  #1543

Quick questions:

Does a Q20 fit on a series 2, specifically GT-2531? Or is the Q10 a perfect fit?

If you don't order the quickshoe with the ballhead, do you still have to remind them not to loctite the center bolt?

What is the minimum equipment you would recommend for a 7D/gripped + 70-200 f/2.8?

ddong
405 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 05, 2010 23:22 |  #1544

CitizenMinistry wrote in post #11402279 (external link)
Quick questions:

Does a Q20 fit on a series 2, specifically GT-2531? Or is the Q10 a perfect fit?

If you don't order the quickshoe with the ballhead, do you still have to remind them not to loctite the center bolt?

What is the minimum equipment you would recommend for a 7D/gripped + 70-200 f/2.8?

Q20 will work with series 2 tripod no problem at all but Q10 is an ideal one. I have Q10 on my Gitzo 2542L. Q20 normally is recommended for series 3 or above.

I didn't quite understand the second question. I guess ballhead panning lock will do this.

Last question is hard to answer for now because we don't know if you'll upgrade your gear and lens in the future. If you only have one tripod for general purpose use, Gitzo series 2 should be good enough.

CitizenMinistry
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 06, 2010 11:15 as a reply to  @ ddong's post |  #1545

Sorry! I meant when ordering a Markins ballhead, if you don't order the quickshoe with it, do they still loctite the center bolt into the ballhead prior to shipping?

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

727,179 views & 1 like for this thread, followed by 6 members.
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.