Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 02:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

would you buy an ipad now?

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 05, 2010 02:03 |  #1

i know there are a lot of topics about this specifically about the 24-70 IS. But apple are pretty good with their product cycles so its safe to assume there is a new Ipad not too far away. Would you buy one now or wait for the new one?

We know there will be a better screen (retina display) and ofcourse a camera because lets face it apple is obsessed with Facetime at the moment, but what else? The latest advancements of the iphone and touch should be a pretty good indication

So, tell me your thoughts! Also when do you think it will be announced?

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 05, 2010 02:09 |  #2

Not just a new iPad, there's also the clones that may be worth considering.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

tohara
THREAD ­ STARTER
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 05, 2010 02:12 |  #3

ive owned an ipad and i loved it, and i use mac and im not too fussed by android so alternatives aren't being considered at the moment.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

kingdavidd
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2010 02:15 |  #4

I thought about that when I bought mine a few months ago, but there will always be something new around the corner, and apple products are good with carrying their value for resale :o)

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

tohara
THREAD ­ STARTER
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 05, 2010 02:21 |  #5

But the ipad version 1 was announced in Jan '10. So that would suggest an announcement not too far away!

500px (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 05, 2010 06:02 |  #6

krb wrote in post #11397675 (external link)
Not just a new iPad, there's also the clones that may be worth considering.

Until they release one with an IPS display then the iPad would have to be the choice for photographers. With the iPad you can easily have six or seven people looking at your pics. With the Android screens I've seen the viewing angle isn't wide enough to accomodate that many.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 05, 2010 06:06 |  #7

I have been trying to justify getting one since launch, but I cant. Now I am glad I have not. Retina display will be a big bonus, but to be hones the Offering from RIM (Blackberry) looks like it may be a better option now.

LINK (external link)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 05, 2010 06:29 |  #8

I'd wait ... saw the practical/fun value immediately the current version was released but always knew the v2 would be better and likely cheaper.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Fodowsky
590 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 05, 2010 06:51 |  #9

I've heard there's a new display, camera (or two), more memory, thinner and possibly a USB port. I've heard there may be an announcement in February. I'd wait.

That said, I love mine!

Gear and Feedback

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2010 07:04 |  #10

I love mine

I'd probably wait if you can though

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 05, 2010 08:36 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

condyk wrote in post #11398077 (external link)
I'd wait ... saw the practical/fun value immediately the current version was released but always knew the v2 would be better and likely cheaper.

Yep, and the v3 is going to be even better. You can wait forever. If today's iPad fits what you need, get it. If not, wait for a new version or look at other clones...but don't get paralyzed playing the endless new rev game with technology. It never ends.

workerdrone
209 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 05, 2010 08:41 |  #12

I bought one a few weeks ago used and am now selling it - pretty disappointed. I wanted a super capable PDA and I got an iPod touch with a bigger screen.

Fantastic for displaying and browsing photos but for just about everything else I far prefer my 13" macbook pro - including for web browsing, email...

Just not worth the $ IMHO. Looking at the differences between the original ipod touch and the current ones, I'm prepared to give gen 2 or 3 another shot but I was really disappointed in some of the functionality - for instance, I love the Evernote program but on the iPad it wasn't any better than on an iPod touch - still wasn't able to edit notes like on a laptop.

The Calendar was useless, while on my MBP and my Android phone it's fully enabled. Apple handicaps it on purpose to get you to pay extra for Mobileme.

I also frequently had apps crash, including Safari, which was annoying.

I was really MUCH more impressed with the iPod touch and would probably like an iPhone as well but AT&T is a no-go in my area.

I know squat about PP. Old: Canon 10-22, 18-55, 24L, 50 1.4, 50L, 85 1.8, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L nonIS, Sigma 30 1.4, Tamron 18-200 lenses. t2i, 7D, Xsi bodies. New: D700, 14-24, 50G, 105 VR Macro, 70-300 VR, SB700

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 05, 2010 10:37 |  #13

Hogloff wrote in post #11398344 (external link)
Yep, and the v3 is going to be even better. You can wait forever. If today's iPad fits what you need, get it. If not, wait for a new version or look at other clones...but don't get paralyzed playing the endless new rev game with technology. It never ends.

Fair comment but the iPad just isn't something I 'need' in that way. My McBP does all I need so the iPad is more a confection for when I want to travel super-light. So, given where we are now, with a new one due, and the original question posed, be silly to buy and then be pissed off in a few months when they release the new one.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2010 12:47 |  #14

I'd (and am) personally wait until the second generation one comes out before buying one.

It'll have the retina display and a better battery - or claimed to have a better one.

spamster
911 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 05, 2010 13:26 |  #15

I use my iPad a lot. It's fun to use.

Gear List

sponsored links

13,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
would you buy an ipad now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.