Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!

this thread is locked
TheAnt
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 03, 2010 16:00 |  #8176

neilbui wrote in post #11388837 (external link)
Just want to ask 1D owners what bag to fit 1D with 70-200 F2.8 mounted ? I ordered few bags including Kata 3in1 30 before find out it won't fit my 1D 2N with 70-200 F2.8II mounted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 20. It's MADE for a 70-200 2.8 mounted to a body, but i've got a 300 f/4, and my 1D fits quite nicely in there.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
xblindx
95 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2010 01:58 as a reply to  @ TheAnt's post |  #8177

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5230765220_a56183ba26_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/saidur/52307652​20/  (external link)
streets of santan (external link) by Saidur Rob (external link), on Flickr

it was a quick shot at relatively low street lights

-Saidur
www.Saidurrob.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/saidur/ (external link)

1D MK II,6D, 17-40L, 135L, 28mm IS. building my strobist gear.

xblindx
95 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2010 02:00 as a reply to  @ xblindx's post |  #8178

ISO 1250 jpeg shot

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5248/5230151351_08ba56db8a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/saidur/52301513​51/  (external link)
chitol pitha (external link) by Saidur Rob (external link), on Flickr

-Saidur

cathy51
26 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 05, 2010 09:21 |  #8179

Christmas poinsettia, I look forward to these every year!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

cathy :)

MakeMeShutter
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 05, 2010 11:28 |  #8180

I really wish I would have gotten this camera a long time ago.
I started with film many years ago, switched to a Nikon Coolpix, then went to a 10D, then a 1Ds, then a 40D and now the 1D mkIIn.
I still have the 40D, but am considering getting rid of it and getting another 1D mkIIn.
All I can say is I simply love the 1D mkIIn.
For the money, it is a hard camera to beat !!!

New York Dragonflies (external link)
NYDragonflies.com

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 05, 2010 11:44 |  #8181

I said, the other day:

One of my 1Dmk2 bodies is in Jamesburg for repair. The pin that locks the lens onto the mount became stuck in the "release" position.

If anyone is curious, the cost is $290 to fix it.

I also asked them to give me a shutter count while they had it on the bench. I asked them if they can tell if the shutter has been previously replaced, and she said no they cannot tell just be looking at it. She said they do "rest the counter" when a shutter is replaced though.

Followup:

I am so freaking ticked off at Canon service right now. Got the 1D2 back. On the invoice, they state that they fixed the locking pin, and they also state, "adjusted focus and exposure".

Uh oh.....I SHOULD have told them don't even freakin TOUCH the AF. This camera worked well as for AF previously. As does my other 1D2 and my 1DS. So this morning I thought I would test out the 'repaired' camera. Awful. Just plain awful. It is so far off on focusing the 70-200 and the 300 ( both shot wide open at 2.8 ) that it is not even usable. Put the other bodies on these two lenses....and they are still perfect.

So....lesson learned....if you have a body that is focusing correctly, and you send it in for other repairs tell them don't f-ing touch the focus.

Not that they will pay any attention to it....it said right on the work order to give me a shutter count, and they didn't bother to do that.
I dunno....not sure here, I'm thinking maybe I should try my luck with the service center in California instead of NJ. I'm gonna call Jamesburg in the morning and see what they say.

Thanks for letting me vent ! I still ain't happy....but I feel better ! LOL. I think.....

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

GuitarFreak
894 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 05, 2010 11:48 |  #8182

spiralspirit wrote in post #11378823 (external link)
MOAR PICTURES PLS

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

1dmk2 & 17-40mm f4/l

Awesome shot! I can't wait til we get some snow on the ground here. I hate it when it's cold and there's no snow on the ground.

1D MkIII | A2E + VG-10 | 430EX II | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Σ 14-24 f/2.8
DA (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Flour ­ Power
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2010 14:54 |  #8183

Flour Power wrote in post #11371869 (external link)
:shock: Good grief!

I've got the same problem intermittently with my mkIIn. I was going to get it sorted but I'd have to get a mortgage.

Are they just fixing the pin or carrying out a full service to justify the cost?

george m w wrote in post #11371916 (external link)
That's just fixing the pin. I suspect there must be a fair bit of disassembly to get to it, based on the quoted price.

george m w wrote in post #11399051 (external link)
I said, the other day:

Followup:

I am so freaking ticked off at Canon service right now. Got the 1D2 back. On the invoice, they state that they fixed the locking pin, and they also state, "adjusted focus and exposure".

Uh oh.....I SHOULD have told them don't even freakin TOUCH the AF. This camera worked well as for AF previously. As does my other 1D2 and my 1DS. So this morning I thought I would test out the 'repaired' camera. Awful. Just plain awful. It is so far off on focusing the 70-200 and the 300 ( both shot wide open at 2.8 ) that it is not even usable. Put the other bodies on these two lenses....and they are still perfect.

So....lesson learned....if you have a body that is focusing correctly, and you send it in for other repairs tell them don't f-ing touch the focus.

Not that they will pay any attention to it....it said right on the work order to give me a shutter count, and they didn't bother to do that.
I dunno....not sure here, I'm thinking maybe I should try my luck with the service center in California instead of NJ. I'm gonna call Jamesburg in the morning and see what they say.

Thanks for letting me vent ! I still ain't happy....but I feel better ! LOL. I think.....

Thought it sounded a it steep! feeling your pain.

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2010 15:18 |  #8184

I said, the other day:

Followup:

I sent mine in to Irvine for a sensor cleaning this summer. When I got it back, the first thing I did was go outside and shoot a f/22 shot of blue sky. I found dust all over it still. I called them and they sent me a label to ship it back. A week later, I had the camera returned, and free of any dust on the sensor.

Then, a week or so later, I went to Yellowstone. First time I used it since I got it back. Shutter dies within 20 shots. I called them again when I got back home and they fixed it (shipping included) for free!

My point, hopefully you get some good customer service like I did, and then fix it for free. It's still a huge inconvenience, but good service.

And thanks for this lesson for us...make sure to tell them not to touch the focus!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 06, 2010 04:47 as a reply to  @ pantherphotos's post |  #8185

was wondering to all sports shooters out there...how is your AF configured? How many AF pts are you guys using?

I have mine configured for 9 AF pts(C. Fn 13 set to #3) along with C. Fn 11 set to #2 and C. Fn 17 set to #1. This combination allows me to scroll thru all 9 AF points very quickly on the thumb wheel like on the 50D and also provide 7 AF expansion points surrounding the selected point should the it momentarily lose track of my subject.

I'd like to take advantage of all 45 AF pts though...but i dont know how to without having to fiddle with both the thumbwheel and finger scroll.

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

w7cma
459 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 06, 2010 07:40 |  #8186

zarray wrote in post #11403062 (external link)
was wondering to all sports shooters out there...how is your AF configured? How many AF pts are you guys using?

I have mine configured for 9 AF pts(C. Fn 13 set to #3) along with C. Fn 11 set to #2 and C. Fn 17 set to #1. This combination allows me to scroll thru all 9 AF points very quickly on the thumb wheel like on the 50D and also provide 7 AF expansion points surrounding the selected point should the it momentarily lose track of my subject.

I'd like to take advantage of all 45 AF pts though...but i dont know how to without having to fiddle with both the thumbwheel and finger scroll.

Try this

http://www.siphoto.com​/?canon1DM2.inc (external link)

With the touch of a button, I can speak a thousand words.

xblindx
95 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2010 13:40 as a reply to  @ w7cma's post |  #8187

photo taken yesterday..so far loving the 1D markII

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/5238907924_3f1f724dd1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/saidur/52389079​24/  (external link)
you are not alone (external link) by Saidur Rob (external link), on Flickr

-Saidur

RSphoto
Goldmember
1,098 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 06, 2010 15:31 |  #8188

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5236442914_034b272a22_b.jpg

Rylan Strongman
rylanstrongman@gmail.c​om
Canon 5D Mark III | EF 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 35L | Canon 85L

xblindx
95 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2010 18:24 |  #8189

I said, the other day:

Followup:

sorry to hear that George...

see if they could fix it for free since they screwed up

-Saidur

xblindx
95 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2010 18:29 |  #8190

03civicsi wrote in post #11405609 (external link)
[IMG]

amazing shot man..BW goes well with the photo

-Saidur

sponsored links

1,448,103 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.