Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H and price matching

dtsang
253 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 05, 2010 21:15 |  #16

it could be worse, a few years ago b&h would laugh at you when you asked for a pricematch.

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2010 21:45 |  #17

I don't owe allegiance to any one retailer. I hate wasting time with price matching, I just find the best price at one of the many places I do business and order it there.

Flickr (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 05, 2010 22:05 |  #18

If that made you laugh, imaging it was the CS guy on the other end. He must be flooring :)

Btw, B&H does match price. It did with Leisure Pro when I was looking for a Pelican case.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 06, 2010 00:45 |  #19

MDJAK wrote in post #11401559 (external link)
the fact you made a mistake does not make you dumb. Stupid maybe, but not dumb

KIDDING!!!!!!!

Hey, we all make mistakes.

I called B&H and had the team leader of computers search for the correct RAM upgrade for my MAC tower. He found the wrong RAM, I bought it, brought it home and found it was wrong. I had to go back down there, return it, and buy the right ones.

Mistakes happen. When I got an email survey, they asked what I disliked most. I told them their team leader should have been more careful in his search.

It then asked what what I liked most. I said mistakes happen and they are still the best in the business.

Mac RAM? Try Crucial. That's where I buy RAM from, since the modules are matched to your computer with their software used for that purpose.

7D, 5DII

dtsang
253 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 06, 2010 08:36 |  #20

K6AZ wrote in post #11401883 (external link)
I don't owe allegiance to any one retailer. I hate wasting time with price matching, I just find the best price at one of the many places I do business and order it there.

i usually don't either, but i do have some preferred vendors. e.g. b+h & adorama > j&r > abes. again this is just *my* preference.

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 06, 2010 10:02 |  #21

Well, the guy could have given him an explanation of why they wouldn't price match. I find B&H's response here to be rude. And kind of dumb. The OP may have been wrong, but he was ready to do business. Had B&H explained the situation, they may have gotten a sale. Instead, they got a negative thread on POTN.

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 06, 2010 10:17 as a reply to  @ Stefan A's post |  #22

I don't think that B&H got a negative thread. They price matched me with Abes of Maine, for an Apples to Apples item.

I am also quite confident that they get 'shopped' all the time by competitors, senior management and regular customers who ask for discounts/price matching etc and are not ready to buy at that moment, so yes I think it is important to Clearly state that you have your money in hand and you are buying now, it creates a sense of urgency.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

va_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 07, 2010 09:26 |  #23

I've got to say... B&H has always treated me good... I cancelled the order for the lens elsewhere, and ordered with B&H....

When I bought my 7d from B&H, a few days later, the price dropped $100.... one phonecall, and B&H gave me that $100 back... they were in no way obligated to do so... as I agreed to purchase at the other price... but they did it...

I'd think about using somewhere else... but Adorama's website gives me a headache... it blows my mind that a company that sells single items for thousands of dollars can't afford to hire someone to build them a decent website... I've gone to Adorama looking for stuff several times, and I always end up leaving the website and going to B&H because B&H's site is so much easier to navigate and use...

But... this time... totally my fault....

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2010 09:40 |  #24

I see a lot of criticism for Adorama and a lot of love for B&H in this thread. I use whichever has the better price on the item I desire. That is usually Adorama. I don't have a problem with their website or customer service. I even called once about when an out of stock item would be available. They shipped me one that day. They said they had a few for those who took the time to call. B&H had that same tripod listed as available for $40 more. When I tried to order it they were out. That's when I called Adorama. I don't get the remarks I see on here about Adorama. I've never had anything but great service from them.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 07, 2010 09:56 |  #25

from my point of view what B&H should have said is your comparing a US vs grey market lens and explained the difference, not we are not going to do that

not educating your customers is why they wont come back to you, if you explain to people why the price is different they are likely to return even if they dont buy this item

so not very good customer service from a company perspective, from a customer perspective I wouldn't say he did it wrong but if he worked for me he would only get a few warnings before he was out the door

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2010 10:09 |  #26

i bought some stuff from bh, two day later amazon.com had one of the items $100 cheaper. bh would not lower the price to match. it will make me think the next time i purchase something from bh.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 07, 2010 13:11 |  #27

tekkie wrote in post #11410035 (external link)
from my point of view what B&H should have said is your comparing a US vs grey market lens and explained the difference, not we are not going to do that

not educating your customers is why they wont come back to you, if you explain to people why the price is different they are likely to return even if they dont buy this item

so not very good customer service from a company perspective, from a customer perspective I wouldn't say he did it wrong but if he worked for me he would only get a few warnings before he was out the door

I think they are smart to not feel they need to explain why they will or won't price match a particular item. It is their discretion to do so or not; I can see why they don't want to make it a matter of policy. I don't see why it matters anyway. If you are shopping for lowest price do you really care what their rationale is? Maybe the owner had a bad day at the track and said no price matching today... What's the difference?

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2010 13:27 |  #28

I bought my 24-105 f/4 L from B&H. A week or so after it arrived, I found a coupon code on POTN.
I called B&H up and explained that I had a coupon that I hadn't applied when I bought the lens.
They put me on hold while they looked up the info. The guy came back on line, and told me they would credit $100 back to my credit card.

It was as simple as that. They have always treated me well. I have no reason to go anywhere else.

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2010 13:30 |  #29

and maybe it is 3 weeks before xmas, with 200 people in the que waiting for service and he was having a bad day. Let's cut him a little break.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 07, 2010 14:13 |  #30

va_rider wrote in post #11409879 (external link)
......Adorama's website gives me a headache... it blows my mind that a company that sells single items for thousands of dollars can't afford to hire someone to build them a decent website....

We are in the process of rebuilding the website.:D

BTW, while it is true that we have some costly items on our website, our pricing is highly competitive - with some items selling at very little more than cost.

It's maybe not so well known, but Adorama is less than half the size of our closest competitor; still, we do our best to bring you a service and selection of items that we believe punches far above our weight!

sponsored links

2,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H and price matching
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.