I thought I had read at one point that they were holding up shipments again until the finger design was fixed. It sounds like maybe that process has been delayed, and if that's the case, I can see them potentially wanting to get units out the door in the interest of having $$$ flowing in.
I currently have two V1's and one V2 with the rubber band fix (I think they found the finger issue the same day I finalized my second order, and as a result it shipped about a week later with the rubber bands). I'm not having any problems with any of my lights, though I do have my modeling lights on the V1's set to be proportional at half power so I never have to worry about overheating. I do intend to get everything "updated" once they have all their issues worked out but even if the option is presented to me, I won't bother sending my V1's in for exchange until the V2 finger issue is resolved.