Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Einstein - Pre Orders !!!

seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2010 18:09 |  #556

GVal wrote in post #11418708 (external link)
I also received mine last week from a late July order without rubber bands; According to the customer service rep I talked to before I had these shipped, these units have a different spring to fix the tension issue but not the redesigned fingers. I was also told that PCB will replace these units with the redesigned ones if you request for them to do so.

Thanks. I was not sure why I did not get the rubber bands.

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 09, 2010 13:24 |  #557

From the sounds of it and reading up, these should be readily available early to mid January correct?

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Florida_Photography
44 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 13, 2010 17:40 |  #558

I just received mine today. I was testing out the Cyber Commander with them and I was about 30 test fires in when I heard a REALLY LOUD POP! It was so loud that my ears are ringing, almost like a gun went off. Since the pop noise went off I haven't tried to test fire again. I turned the devices off and removed the diffusion dome to look at the flash bulbs. Everything looks normal to me, but what do I know? I presume that as long as there aren't any cracks or smoke I'm good concerning the flash bulb. I'm concerned that the pop happened internally where I can't see anything.

I'm going to power it back on and test it out again to check if it still works in a bit. I have a feeling that I will need to call for support and perhaps a replacement. I'm only glad this didn't happen when I was working with a model.

Ocala Portrait Photography (external link) | Canon 7D + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS + Sigma 50mm + Canon 10-22mm + (3x) Einstein 640 + Canon 430EX II

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 17:40 |  #559

Florida_Photography wrote in post #11446505 (external link)
I just received mine today. I was testing out the Cyber Commander with them and I was about 30 test fires in when I heard a REALLY LOUD POP! It was so loud that my ears are ringing, almost like a gun went off. Since the pop noise went off I haven't tried to test fire again. I turned the devices off and removed the diffusion dome to look at the flash bulbs. Everything looks normal to me, but what do I know? I presume that as long as there aren't any cracks or smoke I'm good concerning the flash bulb. I'm concerned that the pop happened internally where I can't see anything.

I'm going to power it back on and test it out again to check if it still works in a bit. I have a feeling that I will need to call for support and perhaps a replacement. I'm only glad this didn't happen when I was working with a model.

Crossing my fingers for you

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 13, 2010 17:57 |  #560

Florida_Photography wrote in post #11446505 (external link)
perhaps a replacement.

Definitely a replacement. I think you'd be foolish to keep that unit.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Florida_Photography
44 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 13, 2010 18:06 |  #561

Quick update: the unit is broken. The thing seems to think that it's firing a flash, but no flash is being emitted.

I have 3 units and 1 of them seems to be defective. I'll be calling Paul C. Buff Inc. tomorrow to ask for a replacement.

Ocala Portrait Photography (external link) | Canon 7D + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS + Sigma 50mm + Canon 10-22mm + (3x) Einstein 640 + Canon 430EX II

Craig ­ in ­ LA
133 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 18:16 as a reply to  @ Florida_Photography's post |  #562
bannedPermanent ban

Sounds like a capacitor blew. Definitely dead. Can't store any power.

--- Craig ---

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 18:29 |  #563

Florida_Photography wrote in post #11446649 (external link)
Quick update: the unit is broken. The thing seems to think that it's firing a flash, but no flash is being emitted.

I have 3 units and 1 of them seems to be defective. I'll be calling Paul C. Buff Inc. tomorrow to ask for a replacement.

Reminds me of that youtube video.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

digadv
427 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2010 18:42 |  #564

All electronics have a certain failure rate ... mostly early in the life of the product. Some vendors may "burn in" units to make sure they weed out any issues, but I do not know of any. At least you have a couple of functioning units.

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 13, 2010 21:14 |  #565

Craig in LA wrote in post #11446710 (external link)
Sounds like a capacitor blew. Definitely dead. Can't store any power.

My thought as well. Fire up an old unused speedo pack w/o conditioning the caps properly...kaboom :)
Sounds roughly the same, though you do get cap leakage sometimes...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

Florida_Photography
44 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 16, 2010 11:43 |  #566

Ok. Quick follow up about my Einstein unit, which seemed to break after 50 flashes...

I called up PCB to tell them about the problem the next day and they had me check for any obvious signs of exterior damage to make sure that it wasn't something simple that they could diagnose over the phone. The couple theories that they had me test turned up negative, so they decided to ship me a new unit and told me to pack up the broken one to ship back to them. They shipped the new unit the next day, and it arrived very quickly by the day after that.

They emailed me a UPS label that I have to affix to the broken Einstein's box. I will be dropping that off at the UPS store later today to ship back to PCB.

While I am unhappy that one of the three lights that I received was not reliable, I am very much pleased with the service provided by PCB. I was able to get my replacement in time for a shoot that I was planning today, and they made it easy for me to handle the return.

The one thing that I am confused about is whether my units have the temporary rubber band fix. I never found a rubber band in the boxes, so I assume that the quick release accessory mount has been updated. Perhaps someone could give me some instructions on how to figure out if that part is the old or new model.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 16, 2010 12:16 |  #567

Florida_Photography wrote in post #11463268 (external link)
... I never found a rubber band in the boxes, so I assume that the quick release accessory mount has been updated. Perhaps someone could give me some instructions on how to figure out if that part is the old or new model.

No, you do not have the "complete" accessory mount fix on your new Einsteins. As of yesterday, PCB still had not received the modified mount "fingers" that are integral to the latest promised mount revision. In typical PCB fashion, I was told they were expected "any day now". Great. What you do have in your lights are stronger springs. I was told by CS that the stronger internal springs obviate the need for the rubber bands. So, you have a partial fix in your lights. Apparently (and I'm not 100% certain of this), these lights will only be swapped for ones with the "improved" mounting fingers on request.

Dave F.

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 16, 2010 12:59 |  #568

Florida_Photography wrote in post #11463268 (external link)
While I am unhappy that one of the three lights that I received was not reliable, I am very much pleased with the service provided by PCB.

That's their moniker. Ignore the unreliable, shoddy worksmanship of our products.... Isn't our customer service amazing?

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 16, 2010 13:04 |  #569

I am getting my second Einstein tomorrow, both of which have the stronger spring, and they said I can swap out my lights when the new fingers come in. I haven't had a problem with the stiffer springs as of yet which is a good thing.

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2010 13:51 |  #570

That's their moniker. Ignore the unreliable, shoddy worksmanship of our products.... Isn't our customer service amazing?

....which is apparently better than Elinchrom, whose, to use your word.....moniker, is "Ignore the unreliable, shoddy worksmanship of our products.... Isn't our customer service......non existent".

Based on what the complaints are over on the Eli threads recently. One user said out of the 12 months he has owned his Eli's, he was only able to use them 7 months due to lack of service/parts/or even a response from them. Others have complained of lack of or poor service from the Eli distributor. Those guys were stating they were "hoping the Eli distributor was monitoring this forum....and would therefore see the need to have better CS".

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links

71,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
Einstein - Pre Orders !!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.