Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 MkII Patent In the Wild

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 08, 2010 19:34 |  #31

If the push toward DSLR video has any influence on Canon's lens line-up (which it already kind of does), then the 24-70 replacement will have IS. The 17-55 IS is extremely popular in the DSLR video field, but is not usable with full frame cameras. The 24-105 IS satisfies the full-frame users, but the max aperture is f/4. A 24-70 2.8 IS would definitely be a hot item for videographers.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 08, 2010 19:50 |  #32

bigcountry wrote in post #11392002 (external link)
are people willing to pay $1800-$2000 for this lens w/ IS?

Nikon sells theirs, w/o IS, for the mid 1700's (street) already.

http://www.amazon.com …ikkor-Angle/dp/B000VDCT3C (external link)

So, yes, people would pay.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2010 20:23 |  #33

If this has IS I might have to loo into this

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

Gazpacho
111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2010 10:14 |  #34

does anyone know anything about a possible release date?

http://www.facebook.co​m/thorstensphotography (external link)
http://www.thorsten-schroeder.com (external link)

Yesac13
69 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 12, 2010 15:31 as a reply to  @ Gazpacho's post |  #35

I find it interesting that so many think IS is not necessary.

Well, it depends on the photography style. Many photograph people or other moving things. You need shutter speed for these objects. I suspect many who photograph people and the like think IS is a waste of time. For them, this would be the case.

But for photographers like me who prefers still life or landscape photography... IS is tremendously useful because I can shoot at a much lower shutter speed and lower ISO and still get sharp pictures. I have shot in dim conditions with my 24-105mm f/4 IS at only 1/20 and ISO 3200 and got really sharp, bright pictures. With that experience, I will never buy a lens without IS unless its a lens with apertures faster than f/2. And EVEN those fast lens can benefit from IS.

IS also smoothens out video, too. So like it or not, almost all lens will come out with IS from now on. I am looking forward to it. I will pay up. This is a bonus for those who hate IS - you then can buy used lens with no IS for less...

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 12, 2010 17:38 |  #36

I know what you mean, Yesac13. I used to be one that thought that IS wasn't necessary at these shorter focal lengths - and truthfully, most of the time, it is not. But since I got my 24-105 a few days ago, and with the 28-135 I previously had, I'm finding that I am using IS quite a bit for just the kinds of shots that you mention. Last night, I shot one of those 1/20 second ISO 3200 shots at 99 mm focal length with the 24-105. My odds of getting a good, sharp result at those shutter speeds have gone up considerably with the IS.

If Canon can make a 24-70 f/2.8 IS that retains the smooth bokeh and functionality of the present 24-70 (and perhaps improves corner performance at the wide end at f/2.8), I will probably buy it. Maybe not in the first few months, but eventually.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 13, 2010 18:21 |  #37

Well Said X 10 !!

Yesac13 wrote in post #11439783 (external link)
I find it interesting that so many think IS is not necessary.

Well, it depends on the photography style. Many photograph people or other moving things. You need shutter speed for these objects. I suspect many who photograph people and the like think IS is a waste of time. For them, this would be the case.

But for photographers like me who prefers still life or landscape photography... IS is tremendously useful because I can shoot at a much lower shutter speed and lower ISO and still get sharp pictures. I have shot in dim conditions with my 24-105mm f/4 IS at only 1/20 and ISO 3200 and got really sharp, bright pictures. With that experience, I will never buy a lens without IS unless its a lens with apertures faster than f/2. And EVEN those fast lens can benefit from IS.

IS also smoothens out video, too. So like it or not, almost all lens will come out with IS from now on. I am looking forward to it. I will pay up. This is a bonus for those who hate IS - you then can buy used lens with no IS for less...

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 14, 2010 16:42 as a reply to  @ nonick's post |  #38

Yesac13 wrote in post #11439783 (external link)
But for photographers like me who prefers still life or landscape photography... IS is tremendously useful.

there's this fancy new accessory out there for you.
maybe you've heard of it...
it's called...

a tripod?!

don't get me wrong, I love IS and would love a 24-70 2.8 IS, but not for stills or landscapes. Those should both be done with tripods unless the venue doesn't allow them IMHO. I want IS for panning shots and shots taking FROM a moving object (boat)... There it's amazing.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2010 19:48 |  #39

jacobsen1 wrote in post #11452695 (external link)
Those should both be done with tripods unless the venue doesn't allow them IMHO.

dont know about you but i surely dont want to bring a tripod everytime i go out and shoot landscape.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 22, 2010 12:36 |  #40

it's called...

a tripod?!

don't get me wrong, I love IS and would love a 24-70 2.8 IS, but not for stills or landscapes. Those should both be done with tripods unless the venue doesn't allow them IMHO. I want IS for panning shots and shots taking FROM a moving object (boat)... There it's amazing.

venue? everytime i want to take my camera out to dinner at a lowlit restaurant i should take a tripod? :rolleyes:

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 22, 2010 17:14 |  #41

justinp85 wrote in post #11497573 (external link)
everytime i want to take my camera out to dinner at a lowlit restaurant i should take a tripod? :rolleyes:

I would hold off until at least the second date.

;) :)

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 22, 2010 17:21 |  #42

Tom W wrote in post #11499085 (external link)
I would hold off until at least the second date.

;) :)

ya i usually don't pull out the 3rd leg till the 2nd date..:lol:

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 23, 2010 00:11 |  #43

it's called...

a tripod?!

Just for your info. Many buildings, schools, theaters, venues, dance halls, restaurants etc.. DO NOT allow tripod!

Also, many places in big cities like NYC probibit the use of tripod. For example, you are absolutely not allowed to take pictures with tripod in the Rockefeller Center area. A 24-70 2.8 IS Zoom is very handy when you are out there taking pictures of the big Christmas tree, and your family, friends, clients...

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 05, 2011 04:29 |  #44

nonick wrote in post #11501079 (external link)
Just for your info. Many buildings, schools, theaters, venues, dance halls, restaurants etc.. DO NOT allow tripod!

Also, many places in big cities like NYC probibit the use of tripod. For example, you are absolutely not allowed to take pictures with tripod in the Rockefeller Center area. A 24-70 2.8 IS Zoom is very handy when you are out there taking pictures of the big Christmas tree, and your family, friends, clients...

That is why the dark side made 16-35 f/4.0 VR.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

Trey ­ T
996 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 05, 2011 11:16 |  #45

but thats only f/4.0, very slow. anything smaller than f/2.8 is slow, IMO, and it doesn't give enough narrow DoF(~6' if standing 10' away) for that range.

how if it's 16-35 f/2.8 VR, that's a completely different story with the overall design and final product.

KY707 wrote in post #11576852 (external link)
That is why the dark side made 16-35 f/4.0 VR.

sponsored links

11,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 MkII Patent In the Wild
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.