Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me buy a new location lightstand

sc0rp
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2010 06:53 |  #1

Hey Guys,

So I think I may need to buy a new lightstand for location work.

I currently have a Manfrotto 307B Maxi Stacker Stand (external link) and a bunch of Chinese specials and Nano's which don't usually leave the house. Now when using the 307B on location I'm having some major issues with the wind knocking around my Ranger head with Octa's attached around on the spigot on top. It's like pivoting around in lightish winds (10km/h, 15km/h gusts) and in heavier winds I have no chance as it just spins around. There's plenty of dead weight on the stand so that's not the issue.

I've had a read over POTN and other forums.

Even Rob's thread over here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=852980 which made me checked my lighstand but don't think it thats.

So do you think buying a bigger better steel light stands like the Avenger A0040CS (external link) or an Avenger A2030D Turtle Base (external link) help at all? Keeping in mind that shipping for these to Aus cost the same if not more than the lightstand its self so I would be looking at around $400 USD Shipped for them.

I've seen a number of photographers using the Avenger Turtle Bases on location

Or should I give up using softboxes outside in anything but dead still days and start looking towards using hard modifiers like the stock reflectors, maxi-lite and beauty dishes for location work unless I have assistants holding the softboxes and strobes for me?

sponsored links
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 08, 2010 08:15 |  #2

I have 2 A0040CS's , they are built like tanks. Very strong, relatively heavy. Good for location as it has a 'lazy leg' also. Heavy enough to hold all modifiers in low-mid wind. Anything higher than low-mid wind and you'll still have stuff falling over.

There is no magic silver bullet for wind. Unless you tie stuff down. But it's a great stand. I only buy Avenger stands they are really great and ok on the wallet.

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2010 10:40 |  #3

+1 on Avenger stands.

If you're looking for a conventional stand instead of a C-Stand and want something reasonably lightweight and portable, look at the A630B and A653B stands. Really well built, and the handles are great. You can get the stand locked down TIGHT, to where you can't physically rotate the center column even if you try.

As a side note, are you sure it's the stand that's rotating and not the ranger head on the baby pin?

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 08, 2010 11:02 |  #4

I don't see how a stronger stand will alleviate the issue of the strobe and modifier rotating on the stand. The problem is the spigot where the strobe mounts to is round while the thumb screw is flat. This creates a very small surface area of adhesion. I too have ran into this issue and have tightened the thumbscrew to the point where it broke the mount on the strobe. To resolve this I had grind a flat spot on the spigot so that the contact area was greater and it holds in a brisk wind(guessing 20km/h gusts) now.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,603 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 08, 2010 11:57 |  #5

I don't understand why those spigots ar round.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2010 17:09 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #6

The new Avenger Spigots I got have a flat surface on 1 side, makes a huge difference. I too thought it was the stand rotating, but found it's due to the spigot and the head mount.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

sc0rp
THREAD ­ STARTER
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2010 19:20 |  #7

mumbles wrote in post #11415802 (external link)
I have 2 A0040CS's , they are built like tanks. Very strong, relatively heavy. Good for location as it has a 'lazy leg' also.

The Lazy leg could come in real handy for uneven terrain.

Sheldon N wrote in post #11416544 (external link)
+1 on Avenger stands.

If you're looking for a conventional stand instead of a C-Stand and want something reasonably lightweight and portable, look at the A630B and A653B stands. Really well built, and the handles are great. You can get the stand locked down TIGHT, to where you can't physically rotate the center column even if you try.

As a side note, are you sure it's the stand that's rotating and not the ranger head on the baby pin?

The Avenger A630B looks nice. I'm not to sure what I'm after though I have 5 conventional stands at the moment + a cheap boom so I'm thinking maybe turtle base C stand. I'm just not sure how much of pain it would be to carry it around on location. The C-Stand's look a lot easier to sand bag aswell.

emitecaps wrote in post #11416687 (external link)
I don't see how a stronger stand will alleviate the issue of the strobe and modifier rotating on the stand. The problem is the spigot where the strobe mounts to is round while the thumb screw is flat. This creates a very small surface area of adhesion. I too have ran into this issue and have tightened the thumbscrew to the point where it broke the mount on the strobe. To resolve this I had grind a flat spot on the spigot so that the contact area was greater and it holds in a brisk wind(guessing 20km/h gusts) now.

That's the issue it's spinning around the spigot / top the center column of the stand and it doesn't look like the spigot is removable on the stand. I've tightened it as hard as I could to the point it's actually dented the top of the center column.

Any chance you would be able to take a picture of your spigot that you've ground?

TwoShoes wrote in post #11418760 (external link)
The new Avenger Spigots I got have a flat surface on 1 side, makes a huge difference. I too thought it was the stand rotating, but found it's due to the spigot and the head mount.

I've been looking at the Avenger Spigots and it has a lot more surface area for the head to mount to.

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2010 19:28 as a reply to  @ sc0rp's post |  #8

I'm actually after the same thing, not until after Christmas for me though. The stands I have now are good for what they are, but I need something solid that I can rely on without and assistant and just heavily bagged.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 08, 2010 19:41 |  #9

The A0040CS is that stand. ^ i mean, i could throw it out a car at a high rate of speed, and not worry about it. The only concern i've ever had with these stands are that - if they were to fall, they could hurt someone if hit directly with it. They have that much mass. Granted unlikely, but still.

Regardless, they are much less likely to fall over. So i guess it minimizes this worry in some respects.

mitchman
254 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 08, 2010 22:01 |  #10

Is it available in black? We had to put black gaffers tape all over our chrome avenger boom stand to keep it from throwing weird reflections on the shiny subject we were shooting. If possible, I'll never buy a chrome stand again.

5DM2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 16-35 f/2.8, Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR, Gitzo GT3531
3 x 580EXII's, PocketWizard FlexTT5's, AC3 Zone Controller, Westcott Apollo softboxes www.focalpointmarketin​g.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 09, 2010 06:39 |  #11

Mine is Chrome. I've never had any reflection issues. That's weird. I guess i don't understand what the problem could be, how are you getting reflections if the light source is shooting away from the stand? Even with multiple lights... i've never seen this.

sc0rp
THREAD ­ STARTER
143 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2010 07:43 |  #12

mumbles wrote in post #11419478 (external link)
The A0040CS is that stand. ^ i mean, i could throw it out a car at a high rate of speed, and not worry about it.

Care to youtube that?

mumbles wrote in post #11421542 (external link)
Mine is Chrome. I've never had any reflection issues. That's weird. I guess i don't understand what the problem could be, how are you getting reflections if the light source is shooting away from the stand? Even with multiple lights... i've never seen this.

There really seems to be two camps when it comes to stand colors. Those that love the chrome due to the fact they won't scratch / chip as easy.. Then those that love the black as they don't reflect the light all over the place.

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 09, 2010 07:48 |  #13

sc0rp wrote in post #11421682 (external link)
There really seems to be two camps when it comes to stand colors. Those that love the chrome due to the fact they won't scratch / chip as easy.. Then those that love the black as they don't reflect the light all over the place.

This is the first, in many years of shooting - i've ever heard that. Weird.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,603 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2010 08:19 |  #14

mumbles wrote in post #11421701 (external link)
This is the first, in many years of shooting - i've ever heard that. Weird.

Wouldn't reflection issue be more for product photographers if that got stands all around their shooting table?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

mitchman
254 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 09, 2010 08:31 |  #15

bobbyz wrote in post #11421809 (external link)
Wouldn't reflection issue be more for product photographers if that got stands all around their shooting table?

Exactly. (sorry I didn't explain this better). We were shooting a chef preparing food on a dark granite counter top. The boom arm was high and behind the counter. The lights in front of the counter, would reflect off the boom arm and cause reflections on the counter top.

I'm probably making too big of a deal out of this. We've only had this problem once. But I thought I'd share anyway. :)

5DM2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 16-35 f/2.8, Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR, Gitzo GT3531
3 x 580EXII's, PocketWizard FlexTT5's, AC3 Zone Controller, Westcott Apollo softboxes www.focalpointmarketin​g.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me buy a new location lightstand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.