Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 05:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are the purple pants to distracting?

rhubarbcrumble
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2010 05:13 |  #1

I've been invited into an exhibition about Youth and i'm considering using this image. I love the focus and the intense stare from the eye.

My only concern is are the purple pants just to damned distracting?

What do you think?

Cheers

IMAGE: http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/7174/7174631ef4a2bfd887f58c3c849995cc341efbd.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.uploadhouse​.com ….php?id=7174631​&showlnk=0  (external link)

www.duncanwright.com.a​u (external link)

sponsored links
Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2010 06:24 |  #2

By posing the question, even in the title, you're setting your picture up for people to be distracted by the trousers.

rhubarbcrumble
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2010 06:34 as a reply to  @ Jonta's post |  #3

well that is what I wanted to know...

www.duncanwright.com.a​u (external link)

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2010 07:13 |  #4

Well then; a partial answer would be: If you ask people "Do the trousers distract you?", they'll distract them.

Consider that you felt the need to ask other people if the trousers distract them, which probably means that they distracted you, without being asked that specific question.

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2010 08:48 |  #5

Yes they are distracting as is the red cup, the patterned couch, the corrugated steel background and the junk at camera right rear. I won't even touch the overexposure issue.

When one studies photography most instructors at some point early in the study will stress the importance of simplicity. Avoid clutter, bright colors, bold patterns, and backgrounds that attract the eyes. Another thing that instructors teach is that anything close to the camera will be large and obtrusive.

Benji

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 09, 2010 08:56 |  #6

If you have others you are considering, take a closer look at them.
This photo doesn't really say much.....you asked.

I wouldn't say the pants are really distracting....I mean from what?

learncanon
177 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 09, 2010 09:38 |  #7

I think the purple adds liveliness of youth

J-RoN
146 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2010 09:57 as a reply to  @ learncanon's post |  #8

I don't really mind the purple pants because most of the picture seems to have a purple feel to it, everything is a coldish blue/purple. But, your main point is the eyes in this picture, and I'd have to disagree only because you can only clearly see one eye. If you're looking for that powerful stare, to me, it's kinda hard to get across when only one eye is powerful, and the other is covered with hair and not clearly visible. I definitely like the concept however, I would just see if you have any others that may work better.

60D / Rebel XT / Sigma EX 10-22 / Nifty Fifty / Etc...

ca7696
679 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 09, 2010 10:09 |  #9

since you mentioned it...yes they are the first thing my eyes were drawn to.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2010 10:25 as a reply to  @ ca7696's post |  #10

Benji wrote in post #11421955 (external link)
Yes they are distracting as is the red cup, the patterned couch, the corrugated steel background and the junk at camera right rear. I won't even touch the overexposure issue.

When one studies photography most instructors at some point early in the study will stress the importance of simplicity. Avoid clutter, bright colors, bold patterns, and backgrounds that attract the eyes. Another thing that instructors teach is that anything close to the camera will be large and obtrusive.

Benji

Agree...and this photo doesn't portray "youth" to me?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 09, 2010 11:09 |  #11

There are some interesting subtleties in this image. Space on the left, clutter on the right, Dark space on the left, well lit but organized clutter on the right. And who is this cherub who hides behind her cup centered in the frame? The trousers are a nice lead into the cup, the blond mop, and the corrugated backdrop. I think this is a nice image as is. It has a story.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 09, 2010 16:08 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

that feels more like "underage drinking" or "college party-goer" to me..especially because those red dixie cups are pretty much the symbol for alcohol at highschool/college parties and for underage drinking.

EDIT: Looking at it now I'm getting a bit of a cult initiation feeling as well...don't drink the kool aid!

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 09, 2010 19:30 |  #13

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question - Yes! Very much so. But distraction from the rest of the image may be a good thing.

But please don't let the harsh critiques dissuade you from shooting and posting more. It's all part of learning and improving.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2010 19:41 |  #14

You could try selectively desaturating parts of the image, except for what you want focus on. Maybe her eyes and head/hear, and the red cup.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

sponsored links

1,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are the purple pants to distracting?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.