Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 23 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motorsport photography

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2010 15:01 as a reply to  @ post 11416849 |  #61

I always wonder what if real life, face to face personalities are the same as internet personalities. If so, there would sure be a lot of people with missing teeth.:)

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

sponsored links
aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2010 15:35 |  #62

whuband wrote in post #11418054 (external link)
I always wonder what if real life, face to face personalities are the same as internet personalities. If so, there would sure be a lot of people with missing teeth.:)

Many years ago, during the switch from BBS forums to web sites and internet forums, a wise man posted a sort of directive on how people might best communicate with strangers through this new medium. His advice was to conduct yourself as if you were speaking with a Clergyman whom you were meeting for the very first time. It's probably a bit over-the-top and a bit of a dated reference for most people but it can certainly do no harm to raise your standards instead of lowering them as most do today.
Your point is well taken - it's all to easy to come across as what I call a IBSD* when you are hiding behind a keyboard and an IP address.

*Internet Big Swinging Dick

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

nascarsbeanr48
105 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 08, 2010 15:44 |  #63

dinanm3atl wrote in post #11400961 (external link)
That is simply just not true. It depends on the track and where you are. Say Road Atlanta... If you are using the 500 you will need to leave the 'credential area' and go out into spectator areas to shoot down into the Esses. A 70-200 or 300mm IMO is more useful at Road Atlanta than lugging around a 500.

Is the 500 the 'motorsport lens of choice'? Probably. Doesn't mean I would say get that lens first off if you want to shoot motorsports. I would recommend renting a 300mm f/4 IS and a 1.4x TC... and experiment and see if that is what you want to do.

Furthermore if you are at Road Atlanta... you could shoot the whole thing with a 70-200 and if you want to get a little more reach a 300mm f/4 IS. Even if you are in the spectator area. Some spectator spots are within 6 inches of the credential areas. What do you lose? Some zoom compression? Look of a big 500mm?

First day of Petit 2010 I wore shorts because it was hot and I was just messing around... 70-200 @ 200mm on a Canon 40D... from spectator area at 10a/10b.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dinanm3atl/5049​831516/  (external link)
American Le Mans Series Petit Road Atlanta BMW Rahal Letterman M3 7 (external link) by DinanM3atl (external link), on Flickr

all i used at the nascar race is what is on my signature...and i dont understand how there are lenses say 16-24 or something like that...whats all that all about...ive tried doing research on this stuff but damn it gets complicated!!! and dinanm3atl,did you see the pics on the other thread about nascar and see what i came out with..i want to shoot better shots before the next nascar go around in march before formula drift and the long beach grand prix in april..thansk for your time

Mark M.
Bodies-gripped Canon 7D and gripped Canon 40D
Lenses-Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 18-55, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
Flashes-2 580 ex speedlites
www.Instagram.com/Muno​z_Images (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2010 16:34 |  #64

nascarsbeanr48 wrote in post #11418278 (external link)
all i used at the nascar race is what is on my signature...and i dont understand how there are lenses say 16-24 or something like that...whats all that all about...ive tried doing research on this stuff but damn it gets complicated!!! and dinanm3atl,did you see the pics on the other thread about nascar and see what i came out with..i want to shoot better shots before the next nascar go around in march before formula drift and the long beach grand prix in april..thansk for your time

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=4​&APIComp=3 (external link)

this may help you make a decision on what you need to use.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2010 10:45 |  #65

nascarsbeanr48 wrote in post #11418278 (external link)

I do not quite understand what you are asking. Want me to check out your shots and comment? Want to post some here?

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

nascarsbeanr48
105 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 09, 2010 12:03 |  #66

Flores wrote in post #11418565 (external link)
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=4​&APIComp=3 (external link)

this may help you make a decision on what you need to use.

im sorry but i am totally confused!!!! lol

Mark M.
Lenses-Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 10-22, Canon 18-55, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 300mm f/4L IS

nascarsbeanr48
105 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 09, 2010 12:11 |  #67

dinanm3atl wrote in post #11422600 (external link)
I do not quite understand what you are asking. Want me to check out your shots and comment? Want to post some here?

im basically asking what lenses with so little focal length like 16-24 or somethin like that do compared to a 50-200 you know?? and what lenses what you recommend for motorsports?? and here is the link to the thread my pics are in..

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=944740

Mark M.

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 09, 2010 19:51 |  #68

nascarsbeanr48 wrote in post #11423119 (external link)
im basically asking what lenses with so little focal length like 16-24 or somethin like that do compared to a 50-200 you know?? and what lenses what you recommend for motorsports?? and here is the link to the thread my pics are in..

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=944740

This is based on using a consumer level camera to shoot mostly from the stands or what? Sorry if I've missed any information you've given previously.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 10, 2010 07:36 |  #69

nascarsbeanr48 wrote in post #11423058 (external link)
im sorry but i am totally confused!!!! lol

LOL.

that is an archive of test shots with different lenses at different settings.

you should be able to pick lenses your interested in, and figure out which one has the ability to take the 'best' picture.

if it looks a little fuzzy, or has some color fringing in the test image, you can be certain your pictures will look the same way with that lens.

the lens selected on the left is the picture you see, if you move your mouse over the image, it will switch to the lens on the right.

nascarsbeanr48
105 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 14, 2010 02:34 |  #70

aphphoto wrote in post #11425524 (external link)
This is based on using a consumer level camera to shoot mostly from the stands or what? Sorry if I've missed any information you've given previously.

well,for nascar i am shooting in the pit terraces right above the pits...and for the long beach grand prix,i will be shooting from anywhere i can find a good location to shoot from general admission..and i am using only the stuff in my signature bacause i didnt want to make any more bigger purchases until i pay these off ya know?

Mark M.

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 20, 2011 12:04 |  #71

adamsti wrote in post #11403464 (external link)
Down under things may differ, but at the ALMS race at Road America it's very hard to find anybody who is not carrying a 500 around with them, media of course, not the spectators.

Agreed about Road America. I go there all the time for the vintage races and ALMS. I used a 100-400L down in turns 5-8 there this year, but am going to give the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (I have a few TC's just in case) a try this year. I found the autofocus was a little slow with the 100-400, and cloud cover was really killing my results, so we'll see if I have any better luck with the Sigma.

Just an amateur here, but there's a lot of places at Road America where you can about stand right next to the press photographers...

mcdd
129 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 26, 2011 09:59 |  #72

I shoot for a Snowmobile and ATV magazine and shoot most of my stuff with the 70-200 f/4L and 1D MKII. The 70-200 hasn't let me down yet, and while it would be nice to have the extra stop with the 2.8, I haven't run into to many situations where I was in dire need of a faster lens. As for the 1D MKII, they can be had for cheap now, and are brilliantly fast and accurate. That package shouldn't run you anymore then $1500.

Kyle McDougall Photography - Canadian Landscape Photographer
www.kylemcdougallphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links

11,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motorsport photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.