Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Choice of 50mm 1.4

the ­ pokemon ­ kid
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 08, 2010 19:37 |  #1

Hey guys,

I am looking at 50mm Primes. I am looking to go for a f/1.4 as I have not way near enough money to afford a f/1.2... yet :P

But I am stuck on choice wise. I have been looking at the Canon f/1.4, Ziess planar f/1.4 and the Sigma f/1.4.

I have a see the build quality of the Ziess and I much prefer it and also optically i thought it was better than the two. The main problem is that it is MF.

At the beginning of next year I am getting a 7D as I am going to start filming. As I have seen from the other thread, people have said that the Ziess is really great for filming. but the problem is that I also do Music photography and the AF helps a lot! so this is where I am stuck... SO if someone could help point me in the right direction it would be great :D

I want to stay away from the 50mm f/1.8 as I have had two and they felt really plasticy and the second one fell apart on me.

Are there any other possible suggestions for a 50mm Prime?

Canon 7D, 17-40mm L, Tokina 10-17mm Fish-eye F/3.5-4.5, Canon 50mm f/1.4, 580ex flash, 430ex x2
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
cskorik
845 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 08, 2010 19:40 |  #2

These are all excellent choices. I have owned a 50 1.8 and two 50 1.4 made by Canon. I have heard very good things about the Ziess and the Sigma, but I don't think they're really worth the extra money. You'll get quieter autofocus, but really that's about it... they are larger and heavier and more expensive than the Canon. I'd go for the Canon 1.4 anytime.

My portfolio (external link)!

Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2010 19:45 |  #3

I'd go for the Sigma with those choices. Its a great lens.

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 08, 2010 21:07 |  #4

Sigma has smoother bokeh and is sharper wide open especially in comparison to the Canon. Zeiss has great contrast and I really like it from 2.8 to 5.6. I've had all these 50mm lenses and only kept the Sigma because it was AF. I would have kept the Zeiss but I found the Contax Distagon to be essentially the same but at half the cost so I was willing to sacrifice electronic aperture. I kind of regret this though but since I only use it from 2.8-5.6 stopped down focusing isn't that bad. I use the Sigma when I need the AF as my MF skills aren't quite good enough to keep up with moving objects at wide apertures.

the ­ pokemon ­ kid
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2010 15:58 |  #5

Okay, I am looking into the Sigma more now. But I cant see the reason at the moment to spend the extra £100 on a lens which might not actually be better than the Canon equivalent...

Canon 7D, 17-40mm L, Tokina 10-17mm Fish-eye F/3.5-4.5, Canon 50mm f/1.4, 580ex flash, 430ex x2
flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 09, 2010 16:30 |  #6

All these have been discussed ad nauseum here. Do a search to get tons of additional opinions.

I'm happy with the Canon 50/1.4. I've had it for probably 7 years.

Almost bought the Sigma a while back. But looking at the images from both side by side, I really couldn't justify the additional price, weight and size. Even more so with the Canon 50/1.2L.... Both of these are lovely lenses, but just not all that practical.

I have no experience with the Zeiss. It's a manual focus lens (so the autofocus on it is really, really quiet ;)), which are harder to use on crop sensor cameras, which is where I tend to use my 50mm most.

If you get the Canon, buy the matching lens hood. When the lens is stored, reverse the lens hood on it. That protects the focus ring from getting bumped. This is one of the weaknesses of the Canon... a hard bump on the focus ring can damage the mechanism.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 09, 2010 18:08 |  #7

I own the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I love it mounted on a full frame body.

I found 50mm to be too long as a standard lens on a 1.6 crop body, I found the Sigma 30mm f1.4 to be much more of a useful focal length. In fact it was such a good lens it displaced a 17-40 and became the lens most often mounted to my 20D.

John.

dmstraton
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 09, 2010 18:16 |  #8

I have been so impressed by Zeiss that I just sold 2 cameras, 1 TC and 4 lenses to fund more.

True, they are not autofocus - but they do use focus confirmation, both the red light with beep and the green circle at the bottom of the viewfinder - frankly the only thing I miss AF for is my kid running around.

With manually focusing you very quickly can get used to zone focusing with the distance scale on the lens and then refine your focus in the viewfinder. It's actually pretty quick once you're used to it...plus because they are made for manually focusing it is a lot easier to do than a FTM autofocus lens, those focus rings are really bad once you get the real thing.

The Zeiss rock if you do any video. The color and contrast out of camera is insane, they're razor sharp (though 50 1.4 is softer wide-open, it's crazy sharp at smaller apertures). They're built like tanks.

dmstraton
5DmkII, Zeiss 21 f2.8, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro-Planar, 580EXII, Voigtlander Bessa R2M, Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton

dude163
64 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2010 18:30 |  #9

Id get the zeiss :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/riverviewfoto/ (external link) flickr
http://dude163.blogspo​t.com/ (external link) vintage lens blog

sponsored links

2,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
Choice of 50mm 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.