Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have decided family shoots BITE!

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 09, 2010 11:45 |  #1

Ok, I"m only half serious :lol: My husband & I mostly do engagement and wedding shoots, but every now and then we get a family wanting a session, and man! My experience has been that it is agonizing trying to get natural, relaxed, spontaneous shots of families. I mean, mothers are micro-managing every move, dads are glum & bored, toddlers are nap-deprived and whiney....I mean, we get decent shots, but it's just exhausting trying to joke some of these people into a real smile! Maybe we should stick to weddings...;)

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
MommaBird80
345 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 09, 2010 20:21 |  #2

Hahaha! Sorry, I just totally loved your rant!

Canon 7D - XSi 450D gripped/ EF 50mm f/1.4 / Tamron - AF 28-75/2.8 XR/ 85 1.8 USM/ 380EX flash
There will always be someone that takes better pictures than me so that just gives me so much more desire to learn :)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 09, 2010 20:27 |  #3

MommaBird80 wrote in post #11255987 (external link)
Hahaha! Sorry, I just totally loved your rant!

I'll be here all week. ;)

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

ten1437
303 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 09, 2010 14:45 |  #4

preach it!!

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 09, 2010 15:03 as a reply to  @ ten1437's post |  #5

I have a pre-shoot lecture. I tell people to focus on me only and ignore the others, because sure as hell the moment the kid sits still, the mother turns her head and ruins it.

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2010 17:03 |  #6

Good idea, John

Gear List

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 10, 2010 08:17 as a reply to  @ Michelle Brooks Photography's post |  #7

We can totally relate. We focus on weddings and high school seniors, but there is always the occasional family who wants you to do their pictures. And sometimes, if we think it is a good fit, we'll take it as it can be very profitable. We've just had to start learning how to figure out if it's worth our time during the initial consultation/e-mail/phone call.

One big reason we don't like doing family sessions is because we end up shooting twice as many shots because we're trying to capture one with everyone looking and smiling. This is especially challenging with babies/infants/young kids. And since we end up taking more shots, then we end up spending more time culling, editing and switching faces in PP.

It's tough because when you are just starting out it can be hard to turn away work. However, if you can afford to be selective and find affluent families who have more discretionary income to spend and have older kids who can all follow directions, then it can be a really, really good opportunity since there are so many combinations to capture and sell. I know some photographers who average $2-4K per family session. That's comparable to a wedding and way less work!

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 10, 2010 22:25 |  #8

And lets not forget that we don't escape this effect with weddings. I can't be the only one here who's been ready to tear there hair out over pouting or argumentative party members.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2010 08:52 |  #9

isophotostudio wrote in post #11431668 (external link)
And lets not forget that we don't escape this effect with weddings. I can't be the only one here who's been ready to tear there hair out over pouting or argumentative party members.

I guess my husband & I have been lucky in this area so far-- no Bridezilla's or Monsters-in-law or demanding family/friends yet. I'm sure it's in our future. :lol:

On the comment prior to this one-- $2-4K per family session?!? That would take some serious sting out of the ordeal for me!

Gear List

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 13, 2010 10:51 |  #10

I do only very few family shoots, but do enjoy it and if you manage the client well, they're a WHOOOOLE lot easier than weddings. Mom and Dad have to understand going in that they have only one job, to look into the camera and smile; you'll take care of the kids. Then, you need to be set up to do just that. Having someone on hand to help with arranging people or moving lights so you can stay with the camera and view the shot. You also want to engage the kids; talk about things they like and have other entertaining distractions.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 14, 2010 13:21 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #11

Yes, $2-4K for portrait sessions is definitely possible -- that's not what I average, but there are pros out there who have minimum investments of this magnitude. If you can start attracting these kinds of clients, guess who they are going to refer? Their friends...who are likely to be in the same tax bracket.

Our experience was that once we started doing projection ordering sessions, our average sales number doubled. Our best sales session for a bride was $2,200 and for a high school senior $1,700. However it is not uncommon for our clients to reach the $1,000-$1300 range either. We call it the grand club, and probably 40% of our clients reach this. And when they do, we will throw in something extra (unadvertised) when we deliver their order, such as an accordion mini-album.

Starting in 2011 we are going to require a minimum investment after the session. Nothing extraordinary but enough to make sure that if we book a client, it will be worth our time. We have had some clients who end up spending more on the session than products.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2010 14:01 |  #12

have the better entertainer of you two not shooting.

i typically do most the shots of groups when doing family photos. why? because the kids seem to get a real big kick out of me laying down on the ground with my wife standing over me doing crazy stuff like dropping leaves on my head. it typically goes something like this.

wife: Hey guys, should I drop this pile of leaves on his head?
kids: Yeeeeeeeeessssss!
me: noooooo, tell her no.
kids: yesss yesss yesss... (smiling at this point and looking my way)
me: parents, pay attention to me and be ready!
wife: okay, i'm gonna do it
me: no, no, no... she better not drop leaves on my head
kids: yes, drop leaves, yes yes yes
*leaves drop*
kids laugh which makes the parents lighten up which produces that natural "having a good time" photo.

I really would rather not have to go through all that or many of the hundreds of other ridiculous tricks we have in the bag, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... and that may mean a pile of leaves on your head. :)

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2010 14:05 |  #13

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #11443674 (external link)
On the comment prior to this one-- $2-4K per family session?!? That would take some serious sting out of the ordeal for me!

ahhhh... a man can dream.

One of these days... one of these days. :)

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

jolie1
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 21, 2010 21:09 |  #14

John the Geek wrote in post #11424168 (external link)
I have a pre-shoot lecture. I tell people to focus on me only and ignore the others, because sure as hell the moment the kid sits still, the mother turns her head and ruins it.

Lol:, I think this is a special advice

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 21, 2010 21:48 |  #15

jolie1 wrote in post #11494246 (external link)
Lol:, I think this is a special advice

It doesn't always work, but you can try.

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

sponsored links

4,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have decided family shoots BITE!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.