Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Dec 2010 (Friday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A note about using Paypal Gift

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 09:31 |  #1

I'm not trying to butt into anyone else's business, but I just wanted others to know a couple things about Paypal (I use it all the time, like most of you).

1. This is going to come off as a "holier than thou" comment, but here goes: Paypal Gift Option isn't supposed to be used for buying and selling equipment. To me it feels dishonest and I don't use it (unless I'm giving a gift to someone or transferring money from one family member to another). What you do is your business, but here's part of the reason I mention it:

2. Buyer protection. Paypal is really good about resolving disputes, but they won't help you if you used the Gift option to buy a camera, lens, etc. They are in business, and their commission is fairly reasonable (at least for now).

If you buy an item and use gift (to avoid the money transfer fee that Paypal uses to make a profit, pay their employees, etc.) then they can't back you up if you get ripped off.

I know this because I used Gift a couple years ago, even though I felt funny about doing it. Sure enough, it was a scam and the camera was never delivered. It was out of state, and I should have known better (Craigslist), but I told the guy who sold me the camera I'd be visiting him to get my camera. I also threatened to report him to the FBI because it was an interstate fraud (which is actually quite serious--a felony). It worked and he refunded my money.

What did Paypal have to say about all this? They said, "you used the gift option to pay for your purchase. We feel you are trying to avoid payment of services due to Paypal, so we can't help you in this matter."

Please don't start a flame war based on this post. I'm just trying to help others.

Mike

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
twiggles
763 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 10, 2010 09:35 |  #2

Great insight MIke!
3% sucks, but its a small price to pay for protection. (as a buyer or seller)

T-Wiggles

40D Gripped | 5D Gripped | Elan 7 | G12 | 24-105L | 80-200 f/2.8L | 85 f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 10-20 | 430 EX (x2) |etc etc etc... My equipment FAR OUTWEIGHS my skill...always looking for CC

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 10, 2010 09:39 |  #3

I agree with your first point, and will add that Paypal will send you a warning to stop if they suspect that you are using the gift option to pay for items.

But I disagree with your second point. In my experience Paypal Buyer Protection does not apply to any transaction outside of ebay, even if the transaction is listed as eligible. I was ripped off through Paypal once, and they would do nothing to protect me even though I had plenty of evidence (and was theoretically eligible for buyer protection). My credit card company ended up handling the matter.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2010 09:45 |  #4

Paypal's Buyer "Protection" is a joke - your only protection is to use a credit card.

millscas
231 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 10, 2010 09:55 |  #5

seller protection is a joke if used credit card as well...

best way is meet up with cash, which isn't an option ever... i say sell it for the price you want, and add 3% to cover it, don't worry about gifts

Canon 7d - 550ex - 430exII - 70-200mm 2.8 - 50mm 1.4 - 24-70 2.8 tammy - yn 560's-- 3 er 4 of em

jm2e
127 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 10, 2010 10:00 |  #6

bobjames wrote in post #11428128 (external link)
your only protection is to use a credit card.

If private individuals could use CC to collect funds for a camera, they would find
a fee on them as well.

But, when a buyer says "paypal gift only, or you pay fees" it tends to come across as "I'm friggin trustworthy. You don't think you can trust me? Well screw you! You pay the friggin fee for my trust you weak negotiator!" I think it's lame.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 10:02 |  #7

Paypal's Buyer "Protection" is a joke - your only protection is to use a credit card.

I agree with this and that is why I pay the 3% and use my card. I have used gift a few times in the past for some very small amounts, but that was it.

The funny thing is that I have sold a few items here and stated my price included paypal and shipping, but the buyers sent it as a gift anyway. Just thought that was interesting.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 10:04 |  #8

You have obviously never had to use it. Pay Pal stands behind the customer!

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 10:06 |  #9

millscas wrote in post #11428180 (external link)
seller protection is a joke if used credit card as well...

Now this I agree with. Pay Pal usually sides with the customer. I sold something (celular modem). Six month later the buyer complained it died. I felt 6 months was beyond a reasonable warranty and declined to refund his money. A couple emails to Pay Pay and I was screwed. I even showed Pay Pal the dates, etc.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2010 10:08 |  #10

if its less than $50 i will used gift. Anything more i use regular paypal just for the small added protection they provide.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

James ­ Emory
857 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 10, 2010 10:10 |  #11

Mmm, are we saying the there is no fee to either the buyer or seller using Paypal Gift?

James Emory
Olympus E-PL2, VF2 Electronic Viewfinder, Olympus lenses; 14-42mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm, Manfrotto monopod, Slik U212Tripod, Canon Pixma MP990 Printer, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,745 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 10, 2010 10:24 |  #12

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #11428046 (external link)
Please don't start a flame war based on this post. I'm just trying to help others.

Mike

Mike, while I agree with you, this topic was pretty much beaten to death last week:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=965087

tun
285 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2010 10:37 |  #13

http://www.rolbe.com/p​aypal.htm (external link)

Just use this paypal fee calculator to figure out how much a gift equivalent payment would be.

Gear List | eBay Feedback (external link) | FM Feedback (external link)

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 10, 2010 10:38 |  #14

1. This is going to come off as a "holier than thou" comment, but here goes: Paypal Gift Option isn't supposed to be used for buying and selling equipment. To me it feels dishonest and I don't use it (unless I'm giving a gift to someone or transferring money from one family member to another). What you do is your business, but here's part of the reason I mention it:

"Gift" is an option under "Personal" type. It's definitely not appropriate for purchasing something. Why not select "other" or "money owed"? so that you don't feel being dishonest.

2. Buyer protection. Paypal is really good about resolving disputes, but they won't help you if you used the Gift option to buy a camera, lens, etc. They are in business, and their commission is fairly reasonable (at least for now).

If you buy an item and use gift (to avoid the money transfer fee that Paypal uses to make a profit, pay their employees, etc.) then they can't back you up if you get ripped off.

There is no "Seller Protection" either. By using PayPal "personal" payment, both the buyer and seller have to trust each other, it's not a good idea to use this option if you feel you can be ripped off.

You don't need to worry about PayPal. They can collect 3% on the money already in their system many times. These kind of personal payment is just a computer optionation, 0 cost to PayPal.

I know this because I used Gift a couple years ago, even though I felt funny about doing it. Sure enough, it was a scam and the camera was never delivered. It was out of state, and I should have known better (Craigslist), but I told the guy who sold me the camera I'd be visiting him to get my camera. I also threatened to report him to the FBI because it was an interstate fraud (which is actually quite serious--a felony). It worked and he refunded my money.

Exactly, what really protects you is the law and yourself. If you trade with a REAL person (not from Africa), check his references, or even speak with him over the phone, google him over the internet. I doubt anyone with a decent job would want to risk ruin their reputation over handreds of dollars.

If you think checking somebody's references is too much work, you just want buy and pay, DON'T use "personal" payment, because it's not designed for blind transactions.

What did Paypal have to say about all this? They said, "you used the gift option to pay for your purchase. We feel you are trying to avoid payment of services due to Paypal, so we can't help you in this matter."

Mike

PayPal is not entitled to your money. You give them money in case you need their help, both when you don't need their help, you don't have to pay. It's quite simple and no need for debate.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

edseiz
363 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2010 10:48 |  #15

I agree, let's keep things honest. Yes 3% sucks, but the best thing is to split fees, if the 3% is a deal breaker, make your price a tad higher. Win-win with Paypal.

"Someone asked, what camera do you shoot with? Canon, of course, I replied. But when there was film, I shot Nikon. Someone then said, what is film?"

sponsored links

4,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
A note about using Paypal Gift
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.