Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Dec 2010 (Friday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A note about using Paypal Gift

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 10, 2010 13:10 |  #31

illrooster132 wrote in post #11429133 (external link)
there is no buyers protection from pay-pal . even if you use it to pay for an ebay item. trust me i been taken a couple of times and pay pal says. ( they can only get what the seller had in the pay pal account). so if is nothing thats what you get back.
i always been in the honest saide from pay pal but they're not being helpful when it comes to getting your money back.
so i use gift. it saves me money and makes me happy to get some of the unreturned money back.

I've had this happen to me. What really pissed me off though, is that paypal didn't freeze the seller's account. Even though they (paypal) ruled in my favor, they said there were no funds in the seller's account. They then closed the issue. A few months later, I met someone who got scammed by the same guy I did. It was the same paypal acct. When I contacted paypal regarding why they didn't refund my money once additional funds showed up in the seller's account, they said the issue had been closed, and the seller would have to authorize them to refund my money. WTF? This is after paypal had ruled in my favor!

Two things I really can't stand are flea-bay and paypal. I try not to use either one. And I will NEVER pay someone for something w/ paypal gift.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

sponsored links
kerrysroxy
421 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2010 14:05 as a reply to  @ Mk1Racer's post |  #32

I was wondering why people where using the gift option. To me that just seems fishy, I never had any problems with paypal. I bought three phones from china and the seller shipped them in a flimsy packaging . The phones where broke and I argued with the seller to pay for the shipping back to china. Everything worked out fine after I filed a complaint with paypal. Shipper paid for shipping back and we where refunded. I always buy stuff from eBay , this is how I got my sigma 70-200mm so far no problems. I only had that one issue with the phones :)

Gear:
Canon 7D, kenko extension tubes,
sigma 105mm
macro, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM II Macro, Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 10, 2010 14:14 |  #33

paypal protection is no joke, i have items refunded on me when item did'nt arrived in specific time frame were its scheduled. maybe 4-5 times now.

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

prime80
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 10, 2010 14:20 |  #34

I've only had two issues that I've tried Paypal Protection with. Both issues were clear misrepresentations of the product I bought (ie. computer parts that didn't work...period). In both cases, the seller refused to refund the money even after I returned the items to them at my expense. In both cases Paypal ruled that since the sellers had sent me the items (working or not) they couldn't help me. In both cases, one call to my CC company resolved the issue. I will NEVER pay for anything on paypal with a paypal balance. I ALWAYS pay with a CC.

John
R6, 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8
Full Gear List

raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 10, 2010 14:20 |  #35

Based on my experience, I had bought a USED LCD monitor before on ebay using Paypal but sad to say I have to return the item coz the picture posted while she was selling was actually taken from a brand new item and when i received the item it was completely of big difference like the screen was yellowish. So I called the seller back although she wrote on her ads that I can return the item 3 days before if not satisfied but when i called on the day i receive the item she argued and told me to sell it myself to another person...WTH was she thinking of me...So I called Paypal and they really help me refund by calling the seller and sending her emails although I lost a couple of bucks coz the shipment fee was charge on my behalf...

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 14:26 |  #36

everyone agrees that Pay Pal's customer service and value is not what it used to be.

However, the question is whether they are entitled to a fee if you use their service. The reasonable answer is yes. If you do not like their servce- use another one!

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Justin_Thyme
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2010 14:30 |  #37

3% is steep most of the time.
Another option is the Echeck. Not instant but normally 3 days or so and you still get protection with the $5 flat fee.
Trust me Paypal makes plenty of money off of Ebay or is it the other way around. Ebay makes plenty off of paypal? Either way Im not guilt stricken. I think if the fees were more reasonable there wouldnt be an issue but 3% for say a $2000 transaction is $60 when lesser amounts are not so abrupt. Its the same transaction no matter how you look at it, they arent giving up their money over it and the overhead is the same for $2 as it is for $10,000. Maybe if they just did a flat fee it would be more accepted.

As for protection 99% of the time paypal finds in favor of the buyer and just refunds them the money before the seller even has a chance to present a case. There are tons of people who use this as a means to screw over merchants. Send payment then as soon as they are sure the item is on the way file the dispute post haste before its even delivered.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 14:32 |  #38

Remember the credit card company gets a percentage of that (as much as 2.7%). It is not all for Pay Pal.
Understand, I am not a fan of Pay Pal. However, I ran a store on Ebay (back when Ebay was worth using) and without Pay Pal I would have sold much less.

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2010 15:50 |  #39

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #11429575 (external link)
everyone agrees that Pay Pal's customer service and value is not what it used to be.

However, the question is whether they are entitled to a fee if you use their service. The reasonable answer is yes. If you do not like their servce- use another one!

Again, I disagree. If they claim that part of their service is protection, then they don't deliver, they are as guilty as the Ebay'r that misrepresented their product. I assure you that if my company promised a client something then didn't deliver, we'd not only lose the client but wind up in court.

That said, they owe me $175 and since I won't be taking them to court, I'll just get back what's rightfully mine via PP gift until I'm whole. Shame on them for not standing up to their promises (fyi, they agreed I was right but said there's was nothing more they could do).

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 16:32 |  #40

I share your feelings about Pay Pal, have also been screwed (both as a buyer and a seller), and understand your position. Where we differ is that two wrongs do not make a right.
I wish there was a good alternative!

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2010 17:28 |  #41

Alway keep a ZERO balance in your Paypal account.

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2010 21:34 |  #42

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #11430228 (external link)
I share your feelings about Pay Pal, have also been screwed (both as a buyer and a seller), and understand your position. Where we differ is that two wrongs do not make a right.
I wish there was a good alternative!

Agreed that two wrongs don't make a right. That said, I truly don't think "forcing" a company to do what I have paid them (via fees) to do is wrong. In any other situation the remedy is court (where recouping my money wouldn't be considered wrong). In my situation, court isn't an option so I have to be creative in my remedy. Once I'm whole, I'll go back to paying fees for choose another option if available.

Gear List

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2010 21:48 |  #43

Sounds like we are closer on this topic than I orignally thought. Pay Pal has a monopoly on Ebay. This is obviously bad and the reason they feel no need to provide the customer service that they should. I closed my store on Ebay as I grew exhausted of the BS!!

Beau1k
295 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 10, 2010 21:58 |  #44

Don't be fooled into thinking that just because you pay the 3% to PayPal that they actually give a crap about you being ripped off or will do anything about it.

PayPal is notorious for not following up or honoring their buyer protection policies.

You have a much better chance of receiving help from your credit card company than PayPal.

7D - Transcend 32GB 600x - 70/200 IS II & 17-55 - Dolica Proline Carbon Fiber

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2010 22:18 |  #45

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #11431510 (external link)
Sounds like we are closer on this topic than I orignally thought. Pay Pal has a monopoly on Ebay. This is obviously bad and the reason they feel no need to provide the customer service that they should. I closed my store on Ebay as I grew exhausted of the BS!!

Sounds like we are for sure. Its a shame that entrepreneurs like you are beaten down enough by the crap that you throw in the towel

Gear List

sponsored links

4,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
A note about using Paypal Gift
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.