Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 08 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XMAS pictures

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2010 20:16 |  #16

1downfall wrote in post #11425107 (external link)
Was going to mention this.....and a tad bright to me. I know the baby's skin will be brighter than average....but he is almost too bright.
I really like #2. Compositionally, I might have had more room on the right....the blank wall draws away a bit...Good work...love the clarity in these!
What did you light these with?

Thanks! He is really pale so getting his skin tones right is not easy to do. I used a 430ex ii in an umbrella softbox off camera to light these.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

sponsored links
ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2010 20:19 |  #17

bone11 wrote in post #11425124 (external link)
White balance is off. #2 and 3 are look completely different than 1 and 4. The faces are generally overexposed and in #1 the eyes especially look over processed. I'm not sure what the child's skin is like, but these shots make him look unnatural. Kids are tough.

I have trouble with white balance. Which ones look right to you? I did go kinda overboard on the eyes for the first, but the client loves it. I'll probably try to dial it back in the future. His skin tone is real pale so it was hard to get right. I agree that kids (especially babies) are tough. Thanks for the input!

-Wayne

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 09, 2010 20:20 |  #18

350speed wrote in post #11425237 (external link)
Cool shots. Just little too bright. Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

I've calibrated my monitor and have had a lot of issues in the past with prints coming out too dark. So, I may lean towards brighter pictures because of this. Thanks for the input!

-Wayne

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 09, 2010 21:38 |  #19

StimpyJCat wrote in post #11425640 (external link)
Thanks! He is really pale so getting his skin tones right is not easy to do. I used a 430ex ii in an umbrella softbox off camera to light these.

I agree, every photo but #4 has his face way too bright. Can't you pull the exposure down with RAW development or something? Anything?

You mention over exposing because your print process isn't that good, but what if a client wants a digital version? Do you re-develop the files so they look good on a computer? Sounds like you should get your print process fixed or out source our prints until you can get it corrected. It's easier to develop photos for a tangible finish rather than adding brightness to compensate for a flaw in your workflow.

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 10, 2010 09:11 |  #20

wlaramie wrote in post #11418408 (external link)
Outstanding set. Well done.

Nice work!

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

Carlitos714
42 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 10, 2010 10:58 |  #21

StimpyJCat wrote in post #11424968 (external link)
Thanks! I hope you are able to get home and see your family soon. I love taking pictures of my daughter. She is growing up soo fast.

thank you very much!

My First Noob DSLR | Canon 20D | Canon 50mm 1.8 MARK II | Canon EF 28-90mm III

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2010 14:05 |  #22

Carlitos714 wrote in post #11428550 (external link)
thank you very much!

Thank you for your service!

-Wayne

bone11
103 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 10, 2010 14:23 |  #23

StimpyJCat wrote in post #11425657 (external link)
I have trouble with white balance. Which ones look right to you? I did go kinda overboard on the eyes for the first, but the client loves it. I'll probably try to dial it back in the future. His skin tone is real pale so it was hard to get right. I agree that kids (especially babies) are tough. Thanks for the input!

#5 is probably the closest, but it still is too cool. 1 & 2 are too cool, with 3 and 6 being way too cool. 4 is too warm. It's not that they are too cool in general, but they are uneven. The top of the head looks like it had different lighting than the bottom so the heads have a split shading on them. I think other lights in the room were interacting with your setup.

The whites of the chair on #4 look over exposed as well.

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2010 14:32 |  #24

bone11 wrote in post #11429560 (external link)
#5 is probably the closest, but it still is too cool. 1 & 2 are too cool, with 3 and 6 being way too cool. 4 is too warm. It's not that they are too cool in general, but they are uneven. The top of the head looks like it had different lighting than the bottom so the heads have a split shading on them. I think other lights in the room were interacting with your setup.

The whites of the chair on #4 look over exposed as well.

I can see what you are talking about. It wasn't an ideal setup because I took these at their house. I should have paid more attention to the other light sources in the room. Thanks for taking the time to give me this detailed breakdown of the pictures.

-Wayne

Tim ­ Park
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 10, 2010 16:29 |  #25

Wayne, you did a great on executing the shots! You got some really nice compositions. I didn't get a chance to read all the comments in detail, but I think the colors too cool. I also think you can bring down the exposure on his face. This can definitely be a challenge with very fair skin. Also, I think a brighter background would bring more balance and warmth to the shots. Again, the shots are great, so it's just a matter of some pp choices.

Tim

www.timparkphoto.com (external link)
5DmkII, 5D
24LII, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
580EXII, 580EX (2)

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2010 17:02 |  #26

Tim Park wrote in post #11430217 (external link)
Wayne, you did a great on executing the shots! You got some really nice compositions. I didn't get a chance to read all the comments in detail, but I think the colors too cool. I also think you can bring down the exposure on his face. This can definitely be a challenge with very fair skin. Also, I think a brighter background would bring more balance and warmth to the shots. Again, the shots are great, so it's just a matter of some pp choices.

Tim

Thanks, Tim! I'm still working on my PP skills and will continue to soak up the wisdom here on the forums. Thanks for the advice.

-Wayne

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2010 17:38 |  #27

Very nice where these with a cto gel or just a normal flash with nothing? I just similar shots but didnt get the diffrent colors in the lights

ThreeGuysPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2010 17:44 |  #28

unlimited6986 wrote in post #11430544 (external link)
Very nice where these with a cto gel or just a normal flash with nothing? I just similar shots but didnt get the diffrent colors in the lights

Thanks! The tree had multi-color lights. I just used a normal flash with no gel inside an umbrella softbox.

-Wayne

sponsored links

2,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
XMAS pictures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.