Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Location Lighting Final

ES ­ Photography
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2010 20:47 |  #1

Hi everybody! My name is Ethan and this is my first post. :D Anyway for my final in location lighting class I am doing action sports prints that will be matted and displayed. The plan is 10 final images. Along with the action shots I'm going to do portraits of the athletes in the studio (5 action, 5 studio). Here's some images before I blab. Sorry for the watermark. The last one is obviously not retouched, thats all I'll say. Let me know what you think.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Now herein lies my problem. I'm trying to decide on if I want the portraits to be horizontal or vertical orientation and if I want them to be displayed before or after their action shot. As you can see all of the action shots are portrait orientation besides one. (Pretty sure I won't use it just because of that).

So here is the idea my girlfriend came up with; have all of the portraits be landscape orientation and have all of the subjects be weighted to the left side and be displayed before their action shot. That way the viewers eye would be led into the action shot. What comes to mind?

sponsored links
Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2010 04:00 |  #2

Sounds a bit boring if you were to do them all that way. What background do you plan on using in the studio?

I could see a commercial website, like Extreme Clothes Inc. doing something like this on their website:

Famous athlete 1:

Action vertical     Portrait vertical
Action vertical Portrait vertical
Action vertical "I like Extreme Clothes because they're awesome"

Famous athlete 2:

Portrait vertical     Action vertical
Portrait vertical Action vertical
"I <3 EC" Action vertical

So if you leave out the "I <3 EC"-bit, you could alternate the sides (Would probably work better with an even number of images, or a higher number). But hey, try it and see what works best afterwards.

Edit: Before confusion takes hold:
1: EC is a fictitious company.
2: The four lines of "action vertical" and three lines of "portrait vertical" are there to illustrate proportion, not number of images.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2010 10:53 |  #3

First one is awesome, nice capture.

ES ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2010 00:42 |  #4

Hi Jonta thank you for your reply! I am using a white cyc wall.

I'm not following what you mean. Do you mean switch up the order so the portrait is alternating between being before and after the action shot?

I have pretty much decided i'm going to compose the portraits like this and the plan is to have them after the action shot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Here are the final action shots
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jonta wrote in post #11421241 (external link)
Sounds a bit boring if you were to do them all that way. What background do you plan on using in the studio?

I could see a commercial website, like Extreme Clothes Inc. doing something like this on their website:

Famous athlete 1:

Action vertical     Portrait vertical
Action vertical "I like Extreme Clothes because they're awesome"

Famous athlete 2:

Portrait vertical     Action vertical
"I <3 EC" Action vertical

So if you leave out the "I <3 EC"-bit, you could alternate the sides (Would probably work better with an even number of images, or a higher number). But hey, try it and see what works best afterwards.

Edit: Before confusion takes hold:
1: EC is a fictitious company.
2: The four lines of "action vertical" and three lines of "portrait vertical" are there to illustrate proportion, not number of images.

Thank you :)

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #11422646 (external link)
First one is awesome, nice capture.

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 11, 2010 06:04 |  #5

ES Photography wrote in post #11432102 (external link)
I'm not following what you mean. Do you mean switch up the order so the portrait is alternating between being before and after the action shot?

I wouldn't say "before" and "after", but "to the left of" and "to the right of".

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 11, 2010 21:05 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

what program is that on your desktop?

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

zap800
42 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 12, 2010 00:32 |  #7

I like all but the first one. I think it would have looked better if it was a landscape. the long bike and extended arm lends itself to a landscape versus a portrait orientation. All the other pics I really like.

:eek: If the enemy is in range, so are you :eek:
T1I flashpoint grip, canon 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm IS, 420ex

ES ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2010 04:24 |  #8

Adobe Bridge :)

stayhumble wrote in post #11436241 (external link)
what program is that on your desktop?

Okay thank you for the critique. I agree. Some times i get into this bad habit of only taking verticals. I will work on it. Thanks again :)

zap800 wrote in post #11437006 (external link)
I like all but the first one. I think it would have looked better if it was a landscape. the long bike and extended arm lends itself to a landscape versus a portrait orientation. All the other pics I really like.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 12, 2010 12:50 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

im such a noob, i had that program and never even knew.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

ES ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 13, 2010 01:30 |  #10

Hey that's okay. We all learn something new every day! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

stayhumble wrote in post #11439071 (external link)
im such a noob, i had that program and never even knew.

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 13, 2010 13:10 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

really appreciate that man! and totally forgot to mention...AWESOME photos

my favorite is the one where the skier hits the rails. the photo portrays to me, a silent calm night on the slopes..nobody out there, but just you, your skis, and the jibs

and as a snowboarder, i know this is one of the greatest feelings...

sponsored links

2,013 views & 0 likes for this thread
Location Lighting Final
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.