Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Dec 2010 (Monday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Body - Nikon Lens??

PTone
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 14:54 |  #1

Hi folks

I have a Canon D50 and would like to put sigma 50-500mm APO DG OS HSM lens or alternatively a Sigma 150-500mm on it.

The Nikon fit Sigma is cheaper than the Canon fit but does the Nikon fit work ok on the canon with an adapter to convert it to canon fit?

I know the Nikon has lens actuator motors in the camera body but it sounds to me from the specs that the APO DG OS HSM Nikon fit must have motors in the lens

to be honest I'm confused and would appreciate some guidance

Cheers
Paul

sponsored links
HokkaidoStu
323 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 13, 2010 14:57 |  #2

You mean a Canon 50D (the D50 is an older Nikon camera)?

You can connect the lens via an adapter but you won't have autofocus, IMO it would be a waste of time.

my blog (external link)
my SmugMug page (external link)

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 13, 2010 15:10 |  #3

where are you buying the 50-500 from? they're the exact same price on b&h.
and like hokkaidostu says since you lose AF it would be a waste to get an adapter and everything.

flickr (external link)

PTone
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 15:22 as a reply to  @ HokkaidoStu's post |  #4

Yep you're right is a 50D - i guess I've been looking at too many Nikon ads :-)

Thanks for the your view - i'll ditch the notion of using a nikon lens
Paul

PTone
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2010 15:25 as a reply to  @ roosterslayer's post |  #5

I'm in UK as the prices of our kit are about 50% higher than yours in USA (instead of your $ sign , change it for a £ sign and keep the number the same) and the Nikon I saw was cheaper than the canon fit - so every penny helps.

I wish we had B&H prices over this side of the Atlantic

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2010 15:26 |  #6

Even if it was $100 cheaper, losing AF would suck. IMO

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2010 15:27 |  #7

I'd take a trip to the USA, buy photo gear, go back to UK. Then you might even end up saving money :p

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 13, 2010 15:27 |  #8

I never owned Nikon gears before, but I am 99.9% positive that you will lose autofocus, even if you get an adapter.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

sponsored links

1,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Body - Nikon Lens??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.