Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disney World - should I take my 7D?

jarias
581 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2010 15:29 |  #76

One of the best decisions for me was buying the wife a G9 (which she is getting the G12 for christmas ) I always bring her camera as well as mine but the G series takes really good pictures for its size

George

Gear List

sponsored links
chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 13, 2010 15:38 |  #77

I too went on a recent road trip to Disney world. I drove from NYC to Disney World with gh.
stopped at just about all states on way there. We had tons of fun!!
As far as Disney World, I had no problem carrying my 5D-2 around my neck while we walked around and took tones of photos.
I ended up going on all the rides as well.
When it was time to go on the rides i left the camera in one of the lockers you could rent for a quarter or so, and there is an employee watching over them and explaining to people how they work.
Had no problem at all, and i think i brought it on a few rides as well.

I usually chose one lens to bring with me for that day, and left the others at the hotel in my case.

Have a blast!!!!

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 13, 2010 15:41 |  #78

Take P&S camera, and enjoy the family vacation.
You will have many other opportunities to photograph your children with 7D, but this isn't the one you want to wear yourself down, lugging it around.

Disney World is HUGE and very BUSY place.
It will take all day and few days to enjoy the place. Meaning it will wear you out even without your 7D.
If your family is going to some relaxing vacation locations with beautiful scenery like beach or mountain, then 7D would be a better choice.

UPDATE:
Oh dear.. the original post was week ago. lol

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

rsash
60 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 13, 2010 16:02 as a reply to  @ Pasukun's post |  #79

Take the 7D, I took a 1NRS plus 540EZ for years and never regretted it, it is a good feeling taking better photos than the DW photographers, even when one says 'Oh, you have a double doofer', because of the shutter button on the grip to take portrait shots.

Not for this time of year but in the summer I found that the characters went into the shade to get out of the sun so a flash was needed.

Ash

cvt01
466 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2010 16:28 |  #80

I just tried a Panasonic GF1 with the 14-45 kit lens (28-90 equivalent FL). I would say this thing is the best of both worlds. Compact-like size and weight and DSLR-like IQ. Pick one up and sell it after the trip (you will have a hard time letting it go...). You may loose $100 in the process...
385g including batteries and 17mm pancake lens... the kit lens may weigh a little more but not by much.
Focus is really fast... ISO noise is acceptable up to 1600.

Peter
flickr (external link)
1Ds I, 1Ds II, Rokinon 14, Canon 135L,
Sony A7, Zeiss 35 1.4 ZA, Minolta MD 35 f2.8, Konica 40 f1.8, Konica 50 f1.7, Voigtlander Nokton 50 f1.1, Takumar 55 f1.8, Helios 44-2, Minolta MD 135 f3.5

jase1125
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 14, 2010 13:01 |  #81

I ended up taking the 7D and glad I did. I ended up deleting most shots with the P&S as they were so crappy looking. I did candids and didn't get all into the "rules" so as not to ruin the vacation :) Additionally, we did the Disney Photo Pass where Disney photogs took pictures (Nikon D90's). I looked at them and about 60% of them really sucked.

Jason

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,183 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 14, 2010 13:04 |  #82

jase1125 wrote in post #11451496 (external link)
I ended up taking the 7D and glad I did. I ended up deleting most shots with the P&S as they were so crappy looking. I did candids and didn't get all into the "rules" so as not to ruin the vacation :) Additionally, we did the Disney Photo Pass where Disney photogs took pictures (Nikon D90's). I looked at them and about 60% of them really sucked.

Good for you! (I concur about the Disney photo's, not one of them met my standards)

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

bucket772
517 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 14, 2010 13:13 |  #83

jase1125 wrote in post #11451496 (external link)
Additionally, we did the Disney Photo Pass where Disney photogs took pictures (Nikon D90's). I looked at them and about 60% of them really sucked.

+1

Although i neat setup with the scanner and wi-fi and all, for the life of me I can't figure it out. Better the 75% were shooting on tripods. And of that 90% were in portrait. I saw two (2) photogs using a flash bracket (Chef Mickey and Wilderness area). And that was for all 4 parks. Even in Cinderellas castle when you can get pictures done after you get your little princess made up fancy, the photog was in portrait and flash hanging off the side. Surprise!!!! serious shadows. Ugh. I applaud the setup and easy of use for the purchaser but seriously. My s95 smoked the images. If your gonna drop that kinda coin on a setup like that, why not add a bracket.

DaveHoffmanPhotography​.Com (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2010 13:46 |  #84

I'll be at Disney Monday (for five days) and am definitely bringing my new T2i. I'm looking forward to it and hoping to pick up another lens before I go (a prime). If nothing else, I'll grab the Thrifty Nifty Fifty.

More than photography, I'm looking forward to above freezing temperatures.

Thank you. bw!

jarias
581 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 14, 2010 13:51 |  #85

Good choice on taking 7D i take my gear everywhere just got back from big bear

George

Gear List

vegasboy
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 14, 2010 13:54 |  #86

Mr B Pix wrote in post #11385389 (external link)
1. Call your insurance agent and get a rider for your photography equipment. You'll never worry again.

Pretty simple actually.

As for who can insure your photography stuff, are we talking Home Insurances or do you think some automobile insurances can do so as well?

-Alex
5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.2L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | Alienbees |
Fotosbyalex.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) |
Like my Facebook (external link) | Instagram @evoalex (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 14, 2010 15:48 |  #87

tkbslc wrote in post #11382366 (external link)
Just ask yourself how the DSLR shots will help you remember the trip any more vividly than shots from a compact camera. Also ask yourself what your kids will remember - dad worrying about his expensive big camera, or Dad having fun with them.

+8 million

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Limboy1
106 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 14, 2010 19:30 |  #88

rsash wrote in post #11445900 (external link)
Take the 7D, I took a 1NRS plus 540EZ for years and never regretted it, it is a good feeling taking better photos than the DW photographers, even when one says 'Oh, you have a double doofer', because of the shutter button on the grip to take portrait shots.

Not for this time of year but in the summer I found that the characters went into the shade to get out of the sun so a flash was needed.

Ash

DW Photographers. Explain?

Canon 40D
Canon 17mm - 85mm
Canon 50mm 1.8

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 14, 2010 19:47 |  #89

Limboy1 wrote in post #11453541 (external link)
DW Photographers. Explain?

Disney has photographers all over all the parks snapping pictures of you on vacation. They want to sell you individual shots or have you purchase a CD of images.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 14, 2010 19:49 as a reply to  @ post 11382787 |  #90

Just did Disney World and I would recommend the PS.
The slr will really get in your way and kinda spoil not only your fun but your family also.
I know its tempting but trust me.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

sponsored links

21,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disney World - should I take my 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.