Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon CP-E4

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 14, 2010 15:28 |  #1

I know this sounds slightly daft, but I was just about to buy one online, when I spotted a third party version for £18 (as opposed to £150). Given that's quite a dramatic difference in cost, despite the obvious non-brand element; do I really need to pay for an official Canon branded product at such a massive cost difference?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

sponsored links
mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 14, 2010 15:51 |  #2

Jahled wrote in post #11452347 (external link)
I know this sounds slightly daft, but I was just about to buy one online, when I spotted a third party version for £18 (as opposed to £150). Given that's quite a dramatic difference in cost, despite the obvious non-brand element; do I really need to pay for an official Canon branded product at such a massive cost difference?

Yongnuo makes one, and superior to the canon product in that the tabs holding the batteries in place do not snap off.

Physically you cannot tell the Yongnuo pack from the Canon .. exact in all respects except it seems the Yongnuo is made of slightly more robust plastic.

Canon undoubtedly outsources the manufacture of these low volume, low value components so they are made in the same factory anways.

Just make sure you get the right one .. there are several different models offered by Yongnuo.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2010 15:52 |  #3

I have only tried Canon's CP-E4, which works well (it should). There is a control of the battery pack from the flash, and there is a special connector to maintain the weather resistance of the 580 EX II when the CP-E4 is connected. I assume that especially the latter thing is perhaps not as efficient on something that costs 1/10th.

Anders

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 14, 2010 15:56 |  #4

Pixel makes a version for canon that recycles faster than Canon's CP-E4 and much cheaper, but at the sacrifice of a light clicking noise. I'm satisfied with mine. The clicking is not a problem in any wedding I have shot with it, as most of the ambient noise is much louder.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Jahled
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 14, 2010 16:01 |  #5

mmahoney wrote in post #11452440 (external link)
Yongnuo makes one, and superior to the canon product in that the tabs holding the batteries in place do not snap off.

Physically you cannot tell the Yongnuo pack from the Canon .. exact in all respects except it seems the Yongnuo is made of slightly more robust plastic.

Very helpful, thanks mate; I shall investigate a bit more before anything is ordered :)

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2010 16:13 |  #6

I've had some quality issues with the Pixel units. They are cheerfully replaced so the only cost is mail back to HK.
Both they and the Yongnuo units are as good as, or better built than the Canon product.

Pixel version has added benefit of a duplex circuit so if one side (4 cells) goes bad the other side (4 cells) keeps working. Just a slightly longer recycle time. Still shorter than without an external pack.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2010 22:20 |  #7

You can pixel ones from Edward of cheetah stand.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 14, 2010 22:43 |  #8

And you can get the Yongnuo units from Flash Zebra.
Not sure what either US source brings to the party for the $20 or so premium per unit.
It costs about $12 to ship 2 units back if there is a problem and they are replaced with HK supplier paying shipping.

Probably almost as much to send a defective unit back to Edward or Lon.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2010 08:53 |  #9

Dave - Turn around time and customer service. Not sure how long for HK suppliers but flashzebra will send you the new stuff befor eyou return your old one. I bet Edward does similar. I had small issue with miniphone splitter and Lon took care of it quickly. This is for a < $5 item.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE

Jahled
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 15, 2010 15:38 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #10

Guys, I'm still reeling that an 'official' Canon product can cost £150, and apparently a third party product can sale at such a huge cost difference. Am I being simply naive, or is this a case of that Canon logo simply slapping on a rather mental price difference? :confused:

James

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 15, 2010 16:41 |  #11

don't know the answer to your question. All I know is I just got the CPE4 as a present.

I'm not sure if there are widespread reports of the battery tabs cracking or breaking off. If there are, the I will stand corrected. But I also owned the almost identical product for my Nikon flashes.

Both are well made and unless you treat it poorly or like a bull in a china shop, I don't see anything breaking on it.

I like it for what it is. I'm sure a relatively simple product such as this can probably be duplicated much cheaper by aftermarket suppliers.

I however follow the credo: Pay me now or pay me later. I buy quality to begin with so I don't wind up buying again later. ymmv.

MARK

Jahled
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 15, 2010 16:48 |  #12

MDJAK wrote in post #11458793 (external link)
I buy quality to begin with so I don't wind up buying again later. ymmv.

MARK

That's the philosophy i've tried to follow so far, but £150 to £18 on amazon was jaw dropping yesterday, so I had to pose the question

James

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2010 16:52 |  #13

Don't know UK prices but here in US canon is $150 and pixel one is $70 or so. Roughly half.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 15, 2010 17:54 |  #14

Jahled wrote in post #11458445 (external link)
Guys, I'm still reeling that an 'official' Canon product can cost £150, and apparently a third party product can sale at such a huge cost difference. Am I being simply naive, or is this a case of that Canon logo simply slapping on a rather mental price difference? :confused:

No reeling required :lol:

Think it through and realize that Canon outsources such small items and the same manufacturer also makes for others, such as Yongnuo.

I use this stuff every day, for many tens of thousands of frames every year and can tell you that the Yongnuo CPE4 is the Canon equal in every respect .. and it's superior in construction of the battery holding tabs. And the Yongnuo is durable .. it's been with me on hundreds (that's not an exaggeration) of event shoots and has been suitably abused. And comes back for more. A strong piece of kit.

Buy your wife a nice dinner with the money you save ;)

PS .. post a link to the one you're looking at on Amazon.

This is the one I have:
http://cgi.ebay.ca …m1c17ef2760#ht_​2691wt_783 (external link)

PPS .. edit to add that this applies even more to the off camera cords. The Canon OC-E3 is famous for breaking (the plastic holding the small set screws breaks) and if you're unlucky when it breaks your 580 will find itself falling to the floor. Not funny. I bought two of the Canon ones and both broke so I tried the Yongnuo cord and it is identical to the Canon cord EXCEPT the plastic does not break. So I own two Yongnuo cords (different lengths) and both have worked flawlessly. Again this is in everyday, professional use over a two year period.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

2,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon CP-E4
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.