Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Feb 2006 (Wednesday) 14:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guerrilla marketing

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 01, 2006 14:23 |  #1

There has been discussion on a few sites (all gaming) I go to about companies that hire people specifically for the purposes of guerrilla marketing on online forums.

These employees are expected to develop and maintain between 50 and 100 active identities across any forums that involve their clients products. They maintain these to actually develop the accounts as recognized individuals. That way rather than new poster X making their first post stating some product is really great, GoodBuddy42 with 150 posts is saying it and people are more likely to believe them. If your first and only post is a link its spam. If your 50th post is a link asking are company Y any good it looks like a legitimate post. The objective is achieved though, people click the link, see the product.

Just makes you wonder though, all the examples I found were gaming related but it would be strange if it was just limited to that. It'll certainly make me wonder next time I see someone talking up a product, or offering links to somewhere.

So who do we think is getting paid to visit our forum? :)

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 01, 2006 14:26 |  #2

We're pretty diligent about weeding them out..
But your right,. it's a lot easier when it's a first post.

For while waaay back when I thought Condyk was working for Sigma :lol:

Likewise,. if we had a bunch of Canon schills on the forum,. we'd never notice! :lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,532 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2006 14:27 |  #3

There have been a few posts in the past here, that seem like that, none I can find right off, but I remember seeing some that made me think spam.

Sevas Tra...

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 01, 2006 14:35 |  #4

Anytime you see what you think is Spam and wish to see it dealt with in some way feel free to report it.

To do so,. just click the little red triangle thing that's under the avatar.. next to the "dot"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,784 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Feb 01, 2006 14:38 |  #5

I'm not going to mention any names. ----> Rushprintingservices.c​om <---- did such attempt few weeks ago with about 20 fake members. All of them have been banned and messages deleted. They are very easy to deal with once you find one such post.

If you see more of similar attempts of any posts mentioning rushprintingservices.c​om please notify us.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Wazza
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 01, 2006 14:45 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #6

Pekka wrote:
I'm not going to mention any names. ----> Rushprintingservices.c​om <---- did such attempt few weeks ago with about 20 fake members. All of them have been banned and messages deleted. They are very easy to deal with once you find one such post.

If you see more of similar attempts of any posts mentioning rushprintingservices.c​om please notify us.

Will report, sir. :)

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 01, 2006 14:49 |  #7

Hey,. isn't Pekka spamming? :lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,532 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2006 14:52 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #8

CyberDyneSystems wrote:

Who can I report Pekka to? :D

Sevas Tra...

Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 01, 2006 14:52 |  #9

Iv seen this done in the Auto Industry, I know a parts company that got all its staff to spend an hour or two a day creating identities and gaining a reputation so they could try and pass of recomendations.

But, once you have seen enough spam you soon know what to look for, the members are soon spotted and banned, and posts cleaned up.
They tried it again of course, but a quick email to the company mentioning legal issues soon put a stop to it.

I think the biggest problem with it, and the reason it will never work is as a general rule the people who become mods and forum admins tend to be on the Intelligent side, and generaly have lots of experiance dealing with differnt people.
They tend to be a little older and wiser than most, which is how they became a mod in the fisrt place (there are always exceptions though ;) ).

Spammers on the other hand, especialy any hired speficily for the job, will tend to be on the lower end of the pay scale and have a level of experiance, and often intelligence, that reflects that.

So no matter how many ways they try, and no matter how smart the person giving them advice and telling them what to do is, they will never really be able to out smart the mods and admin who keep then in check.
There will always be exceptions, but they will not keep a low level spamming job for very long, and so don't pose much of a threat.

besides which I can think of many, cheaper, and far more insideous ways of spreading your company name in a forum than simple Spam.

edit, I really want to know how I ended up with CDS's key board at work as well as home.....?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 01, 2006 15:03 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com/albums/v31/Moppie​/banhim.gif (external link)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Sean-Mcr
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 01, 2006 16:08 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote:

Likewise,. if we had a bunch of Canon schills on the forum,. we'd never notice! :lol:

I was a MOD one of the sites Condyk (Dave) used to Frequent. He's always been evangelical with his new lenses (not to mention fickle) as you can see by his current posts on his new lenses:D

As for spammers

The site i got to know Dave on was was a very large commerical AV related site. They were/are the offical forums for many leading UK based, AV related Magazines. Digital photo user being one of them

As a Mod on the photography section and knowing the site pretty well as a five year member, i saw it all. As i'm sure long term mods here have.

Posts counts mean nothing to me, that's what my time on a commercial forum taught me. Best AV forum in the world, but i left on a matter of principle, regarding sponsors

I don't know what good composition is.... Sometimes for me composition has to do with a certain brightness or a certain coming to restness and other times it has to do with funny mistakes. There's a kind of rightness and wrongness and sometimes I like rightness and sometimes I like wrongness. Diane Arbus

http://www.pbase.com/s​ean_mcr (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 01, 2006 20:58 |  #12

People are idiots no matter where you go. Being able to hide behind a monitor only intensifies it for most of them.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 01, 2006 21:10 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote:

I think he works undercover for Zeiss/Jena. :D

I can spot them a mile away - they're the ones with the "L" in their signature. Some of them. Others have other things in their signature. But they're around. ;)

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

EricKonieczny
675 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 01, 2006 21:17 as a reply to  @ Tom W's post |  #14

Within the Stock market on a the popular baords, Yahoo, CNN money, Forbes, paid posters are rampant and have just about made all the boards useless :evil:

EKREATING photography - capture the feeling! (external link)
20D w/Grip|28-105 f3.5-4.5|70-200 f2.8L IS|10-22|580EX w/ ST-E2|Tripod 3021BPRO w/ 488RC2 Midi Ballhead & TC-80N3 Remote|Archos GMini 400|Tamrac Expedition 5

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 01, 2006 21:44 as a reply to  @ EricKonieczny's post |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I used to be a moderator for the guitar forum on America Online. We used to get them there, too.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go change out of my boot-cut Lee jeans which I got for only $21.99 at Sears and put on my comfortable new fleece sweats from Old Navy before I heat up some yummy Hot Pockets...

Steve

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guerrilla marketing
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.