Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tethering with Linux

bcdudley
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 15, 2010 23:50 |  #1

I was just reading about tethering with the Canon T1i. I am interested in doing this on my laptop. Since I am learning, I figure it will help me to see the picture on a bigger screen as I take them and make adjustments as needed.

Since I run Linux on my laptop, will I still be able to do this? I do have windows running in a VM, but I avoid it as much as possible. Putting windows back on my laptop is not an option. It crashes constantly even with a clean install.

edit: btw, I did Google for it, but all I could find was a 2 year old script for Ubuntu 7 that would take pictures when you snap your fingers. Other than that, I found lots of the same question with not many answers.

sponsored links
Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2010 11:56 |  #2

Tried Wine?

bcdudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2010 13:30 |  #3

No. I am assuming that since the Canon software uses Dot Net framework, it will not work under Wine. Is there a way to get it to run without Dot Net?

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2010 17:20 as a reply to  @ bcdudley's post |  #4

I've rarely used the Canon application other than processing RAW images so I can't speak if they indeed use .Net but found this link.

http://www.linux.com …icture-taking-with-gphoto (external link)

Also appears to support the 5D mark2.

http://www.gphoto.org/​doc/remote/ (external link)

Amateur photographer

cedm
631 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 17, 2010 06:35 as a reply to  @ robscomputer's post |  #5

I gave it a go with my 400D and manage to take pictures from digiKam and Darktable very simply.

- In digiKam (tested with v1.4), go into the "import" menu, then "Cameras", select your camera (if plugged in, it should appear there). In the newly opened window, click the "Capture" button. That's it, photo's taken.

- In Darktable (v0.7 minimum), select the "device" tab (top left), under your camera name, click the "tether shoot" button. Then open the camera settings" tab (top right) and click on the "capute image(s)" button. That's it. You can try the different options there.

If you prefer to use the command line, check out "gphoto2". DigiKam relies on the gphoto2 libraries for the remote control and I guess it's the same for Darktable.

Other applications may be able to provide tether shooting as well. I've only had a quick look.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF 100 F/2.8 macro

bcdudley
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2010 12:16 |  #6

Thanks, I will check both of those out. The I had been looking at the gphoto, but it looks like it requires lots of interaction. I want something that is more of just a monitor. Maybe the Darktable or digikam will provide that.

Thank you both.

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 17, 2010 14:56 as a reply to  @ bcdudley's post |  #7

The ability to take pictures from the computer via a remote tethered camera is nice for many things. It would be nicer still if one could run their own program to decide when to actually do the taking, rather than have to interact all the time with a GUI. Think time lapse photography as one example (take picture, archive it, mold the last 600 frames into a movie clip, put it online, go back to wait for the next time interval).

The ability to have the computer just collect the photos as you are shooting with the camera in hand would be good, too. This clearly has to go beyond interacting with a GUI. And you might want those photos to be posted on a web page as you shoot. Hobbyists might be doing the photo equivalent of twittering (is there a site for that, yet)? Professionals might be having their client watch a photo shoot from hundred of kilometers away and texting suggestions back.

Photographers who can also program computers do exist. Photography is one of the more popular hobbies among computer professionals. And Linux (or BSD) gives these people lots more flexibility to come up with their own program function ideas. With Windows, this is a lot harder, usually limited to what the existing applications already do.

7D, 450D, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 18-55/3.5-5.6, 60/2.8 macro
Wish List: 5DsR, 16-35/2.8L,100/2.8L macro, 135/2L, LC-E6E

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2010 16:47 |  #8

http://ultrawide.wordp​ress.com …pse-photography-on-linux/ (external link)

not exactly what you are looking for, but sure worth a look. depending on your skills you can even take that and make it fir your exact needs, source is there.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2010 16:55 |  #9

Skaperen wrote in post #11470416 (external link)
Think time lapse photography as one example (take picture, archive it, mold the last 600 frames into a movie clip, put it online, go back to wait for the next time interval).

piece of cake. use gphoto2 to shoot the pics, it has an option for time lapse so it is one command. then use a cli converter to convert the pics you just took to a video. then upload it whereever you want. scp, ftp, even uploads to websites can be done (curl). i am way too lazy to find the exact commands now, also you'd need to fill in some variables, but with the right search terms each command can be found within the first five hits on google ;) (or the manpage)

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

5,433 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethering with Linux
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.