Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Epson V600 scanner or CanoScan 8800F

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2010 12:27 |  #16

Yes on the film scans, unless you want to send them out. Depends on how valuable your time is. I still shoot film and have my processor burn a CD of scans. Those I want to want to make better I rescan at higher resolution, color correct with ColorPerfect, then import into Aperture for metatagging and further editing. I have the v500, but would buy the Canon 9900F if I were getting one today (in that price range for medium format).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 15, 2010 06:19 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #17

Thanks again! It's hard to get a good sense of the experience of scanning negatives on something like the V600. This review isn't very complimentary:

http://www.filmscanner​.info …nPerfectionV600​Photo.html (external link)

But there are plenty of Amazon reviews that are quite positive, whatever that's worth. Any input on how long/onerous the process of scanning negatives is?

Much appreciated, I think we're almost at the end of this saga...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,813 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2010 11:44 |  #18

The Canon 8800F holds two strips of 6 exp., and one full pass of the scanner takes just under one minute at 1200 dpi. The main issue you will run into is the need to clean each one meticulously to remove dust, and if you don't you will have results like this...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG.jpg

That is the single major factor for paying for a service to scan films for you!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

snabjab
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 15, 2010 11:59 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #19

Many thanks for the feedback. Does that necessitate additional hardware like a compressed air blower or a microfiber cloth?

I'm also curious to ask about resolution. Is the attached photo what one can expect in terms of resolution when scanning from negatives using such hardware?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,813 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2010 12:38 |  #20

snabjab wrote in post #11457083 (external link)
Many thanks for the feedback. Does that necessitate additional hardware like a compressed air blower or a microfiber cloth?

I'm also curious to ask about resolution. Is the attached photo what one can expect in terms of resolution when scanning from negatives using such hardware?

The photo was shrunk to 60% of the linear scanned resolution, for posting on POTN

Cleaning with simply a dry cloth creates more static, and attracts more dust! I'd suggest canned air instead.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sue.t
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 15, 2010 20:52 |  #21

Scanning photos with the V500 produces far better results than those I get from my HP All-in-One OR from our Epson NX510 All-in-One. No comparison. The clarity and color is far superior.

I used to think the HP did a great job UNTIL I started scanning with the V500.

Have done most of my negatives with the V500 too. It's relatively simply & quick. Better results than scanning the prints from the same negatives. Even scanned one of those little Instamatic 110 negatives with good results. That surprised me!

-

Aweitzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 18, 2010 10:47 |  #22

David C wrote in post #11419135 (external link)
Interesting thread, but do note that the original post was a year ago, and the OP has probably gotten deep into or finished the project by now. Still, it would be interesting to know what he actually did and how he liked the result.

My wife said a stern "NO." Edit - To buying the scanner and the whole project.
I dropped the project. I used the 300 saved for the scanner to buy tickets to Disneyland, and proposed to her.Edit - at Disneyland.
The negatives are still in a fireproof safe.
All in all, im happy lol.

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 18, 2010 14:25 |  #23

Aweitzel wrote in post #11474180 (external link)
My wife said a stern "NO." Edit - To buying the scanner and the whole project.
I dropped the project. I used the 300 saved for the scanner to buy tickets to Disneyland, and proposed to her.Edit - at Disneyland.
The negatives are still in a fireproof safe.
All in all, im happy lol.

Heh! Well, I guess congrats are in order...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Aweitzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2010 03:51 |  #24

Its the one and only time she's said no when I wanted to buy something towards
Photography. Id rather have that a no, and I yes to the important question any day!
Thank you. We are happy, no date set.

Aweitzel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2010 03:51 |  #25

Photography. Id rather have that a no, and I yes to the important question any day!

Erin ­ Elizabeth
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2010 17:47 |  #26

Aweitzel wrote in post #11477768 (external link)

It only took me stalking to see how your work is coming along to find out your news. Congrats...on your booming photography skills.

skywalkerbeth
643 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 03, 2011 21:05 |  #27

Tony-S wrote in post #11418577 (external link)
The biggest problem is that most prints don't have much tonal range compared to the negative. Remember, film compresses the dynamic range of a scene (s-curve) and a print compresses that even further (another s-curve). As long as the scanner can do 8-bit (24-bit color) you should be fine. Nearly all are 48-bit today.

So would my old old Epson 4180 scanner (at least 5-6 yrs old) be good enough? I've used it maybe twice, for one reason or another.

Would I be better off just spending a few hundred bucks and getting something new? This is mostly prints. I have computer EQ that is only a year old so maybe something newer is better...

Canon 7D, 30D, G1X Mark II, S90, SD800IS | Canon 35mm 1.4L | Canon 24-105 F4L IS | Polarizers | Canon 100mm F2.8 macro |Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Gitzo 1550T Tripod with 1780qr head | Remote | Diffuser
My Blog: http://skywalkerbeth.b​logspot.com/ (external link)
My site: www.compassrosegalleri​es.com (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 03, 2011 21:23 |  #28

No doubt the scanners today are better than those of a few years ago, but the 4180 is considered a decent scanner. I'd give it a try and see if you like the results. It's a 48/16 bit scanner.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

16,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Epson V600 scanner or CanoScan 8800F
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.