Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Love my new G12!!

fiorito
90 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 16, 2010 18:35 |  #1

So, I just recently sold off all of my DSLR stuff (:cry:) however I just couldn't give up the full control so I purchased a G12 and must admit, I'm pretty impressed with it. I also picked up an SX270 flash as well as the Canon FA-DC58B filter adaptor, which is very well built I might add. So far, I'm happy with the results, the full manual control is a nice feature, the noise at high ISO's is acceptable and the video is a nice addition.

So my thoughts are now, do I pickup a wide angle and telephoto adaptor for this? I'm curious as to users feedback on these, specifically any brands they've used and the end results, are they worth the money? :)

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Dan

Selling it all! hate to see it go! :cry::cry:

sponsored links
michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2010 20:40 |  #2

Sorry to hear you sold all of your DSLR stuff but it sounds like you are quickly gathering a kit for the G12 ;) Glad you like the G12, I ordered one yesterday to accompany my DSLR (after returning the S95). I do like the Canon G series cameras, they do an outstanding job. Enjoy :D

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 16, 2010 22:11 as a reply to  @ michgirl's post |  #3

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/newsite/G10tel​e.html (external link)

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/newsite/G10wid​e.html (external link)

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/G11partA​.php (external link)

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/G11partB​.php (external link)

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/G11partC​.php (external link)

If you are going to add wide- or tele- converter lenses, do not buy cheap. If you are going to make good use of these, either spend the ~$150 each, or find deals on eBay or Craigslist for good used equip... Canon, Raynox, Sony, etc.

I went with Canon 2x Tele geared to my g9, and Raynox HD-7000Pro Wide .7x (high resolution version) and have been very pleased with the performance.
http://www.raynox.co.j​p …/comp_psg7.htm#​hd-7000pro (external link)

for the Raynox overall: http://www.raynox.co.j​p …_Digital_Still_​Camera.pdf (external link)
http://www.raynox.co.j​p …digital/pdf/Can​on_G10.pdf (external link)

These add-ons are a bit to lug around. But they do a great job of extending the camera's capabilities.

"Are they worth the money?" === only if you use them.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

fiorito
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 17, 2010 16:15 |  #4

Great info CarloY! Definitely link the Raynox series of lenses, now just a matter of reviewing it and then determining which to get. Like the macro series they offer as well.

Michgirl, I figured since I wasn't using it as much as I wanted to (health reason, bad back has limited my ability to carry a lot of equipment etc..) I figured I'd let others take advantage of the stuff, the G12 has proven to be a great replacement, small, lightweight and still offers a lot of flexibility that I enjoy.
The more I play around with it the more I enjoy it, has some pretty slick features. Just wish they’d provide a printed manual, nothing beats a good printed manual. While the PDF is nice when you have a PC available, doesn’t do you much good when you’re out and about and need to look something up (or until they have a version available for my Itouch that is!).

Seamless
163 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 17, 2010 23:34 as a reply to  @ fiorito's post |  #5

fiorito wrote:
until they have a version available for my Itouch that is!

If that's iPod touch, you can already copy a PDF file (which is the Canon manual's format) and read it on your Touch, with your choice of several apps. The screen size is a bit small, but unless you have the first version Touch, the capability is there.

jarias
581 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 17, 2010 23:40 |  #6

I picked one up for wife for christmas can not wait for Her (me) to try it out

George

Gear List

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2010 06:43 |  #7

I picked one up this week too. So far im very impressed. Tack sharp.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i818.photobucke​t.com …hread%201024/ac​47a6b2.jpg (external link)

I did a little review of my findings so far on my blog.

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 19, 2010 13:17 |  #8

Mjolnir, beautiful photo! thanks for the link to your blog. You use that 300 well!
Best,

Dave

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,651 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 11:40 |  #9

So I have a G 12. I would like to get an accessory telephoto lens. I am getting a bit overwhelmed/confused on the web looking at what is compatible and the such. This thread seems to have some good info. I want more than the 1.4x that canon offers. Could someone please simplify what I need to get a good quality telephoto greater than the 1.4X of the TC-DC58D. Thanks...

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2010 13:02 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #10

I have the Canon TC-DC58C 2.0x (external link) tele lens from my G9 that I use on my G11. It would work on a G12 also. You need an adapter tube to attach it. I use the Lensmate tube(s), but some think they are too expensive. You could also buy the Canon adapter tube(s), LA-DC58K (external link), but it's plastic and may be a little less easy to attach and/or remove the lens from it. Some just attach the tube(s) to the lens, and leave it attached for quick connection to the camera. The adapter tube(s) for attaching a tele lens or macro lens is really a two part tube system. Lensmate refers to them as part A and part C (external link). Other companies also make a tube system for attaching 58mm lenses to the G10/G11/G12.

I like the 2.0x tele lens on the G11, but it's rather large, and you often don't want to have to bring it along on a hike.

Dennis

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,651 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 13:42 |  #11

So, I need both part A (the base) and Part C ( the tele/macro section). Then I can get the TC-DC58c that will give me a 2.0x tele lens. Correct? Do I understand that the part A/C sections can be used with a certain lens designed for macro as well? Finally, are you able to increase your blur when using wide open apertures with these lenses? (I may not know what I am talking about. I'm just beginning to finally put some of these concepts together.) Thanks

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,651 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 15:29 |  #12

Okay, so much to chose from. I have now seen a post that says you will get some vignetting when using the lensmate part A/C set up with a tele lens at the wide angle. Dennis, have you had this experience? This post said that could be eliminated by using the part A/B adapter set up instead. Is there a reason to go with one set up or the other. I am interested in the TC-DC 58c. Thanks

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

fiorito
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2010 15:35 |  #13

Dennis, the Canon TC-DC58C 2.0x looks pretty good, do you have any samples taken with it posted anywhere? Seems like a reasonably priced lens.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,651 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 15:57 |  #14

what about this one...I'm skeptical about buying from these online stores in NY. This is the Hila 2.2 HD tele-converter. The guy on the phone said it would produce a better image than the canon because it was "HD". It is one sale for $149 including the adapter.
http://www.newworldvid​eodirect.com …tdetail.asp?Pro​ductID=740 (external link)

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2010 16:18 |  #15

fiorito wrote in post #11492587 (external link)
Dennis, the Canon TC-DC58C 2.0x looks pretty good, do you have any samples taken with it posted anywhere? Seems like a reasonably priced lens.

Sorry, I don't have any online, and don't have time right now to search my hard drive. However, here's the Lensmate link to the G9 lenses for tele, wide angle, and macro. Click on the link for each one to scroll through their tests of a variety of lenses and close-up/macro filters.

http://www.lensmateonl​ine.com/store/g9.php (external link)

I have all Canon lenses; TC-DC58C (2.0x), WC-DC58B (0.75x), and the 250D (+4) and 500D (+2) close-up lenses. I got them for my G9, but they all work on my G11. The WC-DC58B wide converter is not as great on my G11, since it can only be used on the Part A (base tube), and only at the widest angle (28mm) which then becomes 21mm equivalent. I get a pretty soft image on the right and left sides. I have to be careful to shoot in Av and f/4.0 with manual focus set to about 10 feet to get the best results for a landscape shot. It however works fine at macro distances.

Dennis

sponsored links

8,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Love my new G12!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.