Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which rechargeable AA's give the best performance in a 580EX?

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2010 10:02 |  #31

Well we obviously use batteries differently. I have at least 60 rechargeable batteries; a mixture of Powerex 2700 mah and 2000 mah so obviously I'm not opposed to use rechargeables. However, for my needs inexpensive Rayovac alkalines also work well. I typically pop four in my flash to power the electronics and use an external Dynalite Jackrabbit Pack II to power the actual flash. I shoot thousands of frames at events and I haven't depleted the alkalines. In fact, I'm still using the first 12 of the 48-pack I bought a few months ago.

This allows me to use my rechargeable in other devices like my Pocketwizards.

isoMorphic wrote in post #11471309 (external link)
Alkaline batteries don't last long in most high drain devices due to voltage drop which is why i mix Lithium with Eneloop. If i use anything else in my Cybershot for example it will give me about 3-5 shots and the camera will shut off. Using 1.2v Eneloops will do the same thing as Alkaline and using strait Lithium is not cost effective at all. But mixing Lithium with LSD gives me the ability to save money and increase the battery life by preventing the voltage drop.

Gear List

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2010 10:03 |  #32

Hmmm....I sense an arbitrage opportunity. I can send you a large batch and you resell them for less than $11.99 and we split the profits. :D:D:D

Armans Photography wrote in post #11473929 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;11473929]I am located in Canada :) let me tell you $11.99 is awesome price for our market :) but $7.95 id definitely better.

Gear List

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2010 10:13 |  #33

PixelMagic wrote in post #11473988 (external link)
Hmmm....I sense an arbitrage opportunity. I can send you a large batch and you resell them for less than $11.99 and we split the profits. :D:D:D

If only we could avoid to pay for the shipping and duty :)

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2010 10:25 |  #34

everything above sounds pretty solid. I'd also second the recommendation for a good charger though, don't get expensive rechargables and use them on included charger, it's definitely worth paying for a maha, la crosse or similar which can charge intelligently and charge individual batteries (not just in pairs)

Gear

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 18, 2010 16:49 |  #35

Armans Photography wrote in post #11473948 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;11473948]Y​es you can not mix batteries, but if 580ex II is not high drain to batteries than I don't know what is.

Your flash produces a heavy drain when it charges no doubt about that. But is not really a high drain device like a P&S that is powering many different things constantly including a CFL back light to illuminate the LCD. Also you can get more or less pops from a set of batteries depending on how quickly you are taking each photo. So to say you can take X number of photos in with one set of batteries is only going to be true in some situations.

It's also obvious there is no voltage cutoff circuit in your flash or it would be impossible to get anywhere near that number of shots from Alkaline cells. I just mention this because there are thousands of people around the world who have P&S cameras and have been in this situation with both Alkaline and Rechargeables. When it happened to me the only suggestion i found by searching around was to use higher cost Lithiums which are bad for the environment. If someone wants to use Enloops or even Alkaline in a device which has a voltage limitation they will still need a 1:1 ratio of cells with a lower voltage drop.

You can read about this very issue here although Enloops as they suggest simply don't cut it with my Cybershot
http://www99.epinions.​com …_4BP/content_30​9637189252 (external link)

Charge - Discharge Rates
The effective capacity of a cell depends on the rate at which it is charged and discharged as illustrated in the graph on Discharge Rates (external link). This is because the electrochemical actions in the cell take a finite time to complete and they can not follow instantaneously the electrical stimulus or load placed on the cell. This is explained in the section on Charging Times (external link). If a cell is subject to short term charging and discharging pulses, as in EV and HEV applications, the chemical effect of a charging pulse may not be fully completed before the subsequent discharge pulse starts to reverse the process. Even with coulomb counting this can lead to errors in determining the SOC of the cell unless the rates of the chemical actions are taken into account.

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 18, 2010 21:06 |  #36

elogical wrote in post #11474094 (external link)
everything above sounds pretty solid. I'd also second the recommendation for a good charger though, don't get expensive rechargables and use them on included charger, it's definitely worth paying for a maha, la crosse or similar which can charge intelligently and charge individual batteries (not just in pairs)

Agreed. Especially when you see the packaging on the top-of-the-line Maha charger... I don't remember it exactly, but the slogan on the box is something like "Advanced battery charger from the future!" Worth the price of admission right there. :)

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

H2OSkier
228 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 18, 2010 21:22 |  #37

lannes wrote in post #11467959 (external link)
Maha make a 2400mah AA Imedion LSD.

http://www.mahaenergy.​com …iewItem.asp?idP​roduct=426 (external link)

So you get the features of an eneloop with the extra capacity, perfect for flash

I use the 2000mah Imedion LSD in a Zoom H4N. The Zoom tends to run though batteries pretty quickly. I'm going to try the 2400mah and see if I can get some more run time. The 2000mah work great in my 580exs.

Ken

Gear List

mpeters
249 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 19, 2010 11:56 |  #38

I use Maha powerex and imedion's. The powerex's are excellent. The imedion's are nice for gear that tends to sit for awhile between uses.

I highly recommend picking up one of their smart chargers - I have the C-9000 wizard. This permits you to do a specific break in as well as a refresh test. The testing will return the actual rating of the batteries - individually. This allows you to assemble matched sets to get optimum performance. All of my AA rechargeables (about 60 total) are labeled in groups of 4, from best performance down.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
44,097 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 20, 2010 15:36 |  #39

These here are awesome. Just picked them up:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5277901271_35892e92d2_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/prodigy83/52779​01271/  (external link)
Rechargeables (external link) by Prodigy83 (external link), on Flickr

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

HarleyHuffman
418 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 20, 2010 19:10 |  #40

tanneu wrote in post #11467107 (external link)
sanyo eneloop. I have them in my 430EX II and reclying time is very fast.

Agree, Agree, Agree!

Canon 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 16-35/2.8 L II USM AF, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, 580EX II, bags of sb-26(s)
dictated (but not read...) :twisted:

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 20, 2010 20:06 |  #41

nonameowns wrote in post #11467086 (external link)
i bought my from apple. An charger and 6 batteries are awesome. my flash is a 430 and with moderate usage over 2 and half month it finally need recharge. yes it that long.

FYI, an Engadget article found that the Apple brand batteries were just re-branded Eneloops plus the Apple tax. Save yourself the Apple premium and get the originals at Costco for much cheaper.

And yes, I highly recommend the Eneloops. They do last a long time, but the fact that the hold a charge when not is use is key. That is unless you want to have to charge batteries all day before you are going to shoot a lot.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

belgianbob
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 21, 2010 06:49 |  #42

Panasonic infinium are equivalent to Eneloops, if you need an alternative. Work really well too: 2 sets in my 580mk2 last a whole day (10+ hours) of shooting, giving about 1100 frames.

5D, 24-105L F4 IS, lots of old EOS bodies, manual bodies and lenses, Bronicas, Metz CL45s, many bulldog clips and gaffer tape, all stuffed into my 20 year old Billingham!
And then there's the Elinchroms...

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 21, 2010 11:05 |  #43

I have been using Eneloops for about a year now. I am still amazed at how well they perform. I don't think you can beat them for the price and convenience when you want a good performance AA battery.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

fredroj
66 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 21, 2010 11:06 |  #44

+ 1000 FOR sanyo eneloop!!

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 21, 2010 11:10 |  #45

I now use Powerex 2400 mAh ones, as well as Sanyo Eneloop 2000 mAh ones. I have a GP 2700 mAh one, and those really need me to charge the day before for them to work properly. I charged my set of GP's 5 days before, and when I went out to do some test shots, I only got maybe 100 pops out of it before the 580EXII stayed in E-TTL green light all the way (low batt).

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links

8,665 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which rechargeable AA's give the best performance in a 580EX?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.