Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you buy expensive lenses from the B/S forum to save $100-$150"
Yes of course
52.1%
No way
17.4%
Never purchased from the B/S forum
30.6%

121 voters, 121 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES FROM B/S....POLL

grant247
696 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 21, 2010 12:31 |  #1

Do you buy expensive used lenses ($800-$5000.00) from the B/S forum to save 10% off retail?

sponsored links
sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:36 |  #2

For a $800 lens, $150 is attractive.
For a $5000 lens, not so much..

I think your range is too wide.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:36 |  #3

You should go with a % savings from new price to normalize.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

grant247
THREAD ­ STARTER
696 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 21, 2010 12:43 |  #4

sangjiny wrote in post #11491634 (external link)
You should go with a % savings from new price to normalize.

Done...thanks

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 12:43 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Why not? Depending on the seller, the lens, and the condition (date code). For the highly regarded lenses, usually you can't get any more cheaper than $200 off buying it new.

As a New Yorker, I don't have advantages ordering online from BH or Adorama since I still have to pay taxes. :) Buying used, or at times even brand new gear, off the forum, I don't have to pay taxes. There are couple of long time, highly regarded forum members who regularly sell new items with receipts too.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 21, 2010 12:49 |  #6

Never bought from there but I'd totally do it.
Not just because you can save some bucks, but because you can evaluate pics taken with the lens and see if it's a good copy or not. ;)

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:49 |  #7

I think for 10%, I wouldn't.
Not that it's not a great deal to buy something at a discount, unless the lens is very rare, buyers usually have multiple sellers to choose from, and they usually offer higher than 10% discount from new.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

ScottCullum
72 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:56 |  #8

I want to, but it seems like shipping to Canada is like sleeping with your sister... CONUS only!! (that was a joke, I really don't mean to offend anyone!!)

Anywys, I have the money, and a real desire to own a 24-105, but it looks like I'll just have to be patient and wait for one to come up from a Canadian member.

I would buy used to save a few hundred bucks. Most people that own a very expensive lens are probably going to take very goo care of it, in order to ensure they can sell it for max $$ later.

5Dc / 28-70L / 50 1.8 mk I / 580EX / BG-E4

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 21, 2010 12:56 |  #9

I bought all my L lenses from the B/S forum(except the 500mm and the 24-70 I bought new.) I would buy a 300f2.8 from there as well. Just need to be clear on you communication with the seller, ask for pics, history reason for selling etc...

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:57 |  #10

i haven't purchased any lens costing $800 or more yet.

i did buy a cheaper lens costing $450 new at 10% saving from B&S

Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 12:59 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

ScottCullum wrote in post #11491754 (external link)
I want to, but it seems like shipping to Canada is like sleeping with your sister... CONUS only!! (that was a joke, I really don't mean to offend anyone!!)

Anywys, I have the money, and a real desire to own a 24-105, but it looks like I'll just have to be patient and wait for one to come up from a Canadian member.

I would buy used to save a few hundred bucks. Most people that own a very expensive lens are probably going to take very goo care of it, in order to ensure they can sell it for max $$ later.

That's because the custom fee involved. I have shipped computer parts to Canada before. Of course, I am talking about only $200+ parts and can safely declare it as "gifts."

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 21, 2010 13:05 |  #12

Just 10% ? No I wouldn't . I'll buy new instead .

Hi

ScottCullum
72 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 21, 2010 13:13 |  #13

TooManyShots wrote in post #11491772 (external link)
That's because the custom fee involved. I have shipped computer parts to Canada before. Of course, I am talking about only $200+ parts and can safely declare it as "gifts."

Ya, brokerage fees and duties and taxes... It adds up and it seems like there is no solid way of calculating it out, because it's always different.

5Dc / 28-70L / 50 1.8 mk I / 580EX / BG-E4

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2010 13:14 |  #14

TooManyShots wrote in post #11491673 (external link)
Buying used, or at times even brand new gear, off the forum, I don't have to pay taxes. There are couple of long time, highly regarded forum members who regularly sell new items with receipts too.

Umm... Yes you do.. (take a look starting at page 7)
http://www.tax.ny.gov …ications/sales/​pub774.pdf (external link)

For these purchases, the tax is not collected by the seller, but you are still required to pay it. I am expecting the day where some gung-ho state tax collector starts combing these boards for all of the uninformed people that brag about not paying sales tax (whether they do it knowing they are required to or not.)
I am also sorry to say, that with your web address right in your sig, you would be very easy to track down and would be low hanging fruit for such a tax collector.

Like residents of most states where sales tax is collected, as a New Yorker, you are required by state law to pay sales tax yourself, directly to the state, for purchases where the tax is not collected for you by the seller. I acknowledge that laws regarding this are generally unknown and unenforced -- but with states like NY and NJ on the verge of filing for bankruptcy and asking Uncle Sam for help.. rest assured, the day is coming when they will start .. and they will do it retroactively.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

mds2004
194 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2010 13:16 |  #15

Bought the 70-200. When I get my 30 days + 30 posts Il sell my 18-55 + 55-250 and buy a Tamron 17-50.

Gear

sponsored links

6,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES FROM B/S....POLL
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.