Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you buy expensive lenses from the B/S forum to save $100-$150"
Yes of course
52.1%
No way
17.4%
Never purchased from the B/S forum
30.6%

121 voters, 121 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES FROM B/S....POLL

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 21, 2010 13:17 |  #16

Nope because I can save nearly just as much with cash back tricks. I want to save at least 20% or more. Buying used is especially good for third party lenses that have poor resale value since someone has taken the hit for you already =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,048 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2010 13:40 |  #17

hairy_moth wrote in post #11491828 (external link)
Umm... Yes you do.. (take a look starting at page 7)
http://www.tax.ny.gov …ications/sales/​pub774.pdf (external link)

that's dealing with businesses...

why would he have to pay taxes buying a used item off of someone?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 13:43 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

hairy_moth wrote in post #11491828 (external link)
Umm... Yes you do.. (take a look starting at page 7)
http://www.tax.ny.gov …ications/sales/​pub774.pdf (external link)

For these purchases, the tax is not collected by the seller, but you are still required to pay it. I am expecting the day where some gung-ho state tax collector starts combing these boards for all of the uninformed people that brag about not paying sales tax (whether they do it knowing they are required to or not.)
I am also sorry to say, that with your web address right in your sig, you would be very easy to track down and would be low hanging fruit for such a tax collector.

Like residents of most states where sales tax is collected, as a New Yorker, you are required by state law to pay sales tax yourself, directly to the state, for purchases where the tax is not collected for you by the seller. I acknowledge that laws regarding this are generally unknown and unenforced -- but with states like NY and NJ on the verge of filing for bankruptcy and asking Uncle Sam for help.. rest assured, the day is coming when they will start .. and they will do it retroactively.

That's interesting but I am not worry a bit.....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2010 13:48 |  #19

DreDaze wrote in post #11491958 (external link)

It is not about business, the document is titled: "Purchaser's Obligations to Pay Sales and Use Taxes Directly to the Tax Department Questions and Answers"

And, in case you think tax is due only when purchasing new from a registered NY business, here is a quote from page 10:

Most sales of tangible personal property are subject to sales and use tax.
Some examples are: cigarettes and other tobacco products; alcohol; candy;
books (other than college textbooks purchased by full and part-time college
students for their courses); electronic equipment; furniture; collectibles
(stamps, coins, etc., bought for collections); works of art; off-the-shelf
computer software; and generally, a garage sale item costing more than
$600.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 13:50 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #11491958 (external link)

Not necessary. If a business, the said seller or service provider, must have a business license. Basically, if the sales tax isn't included in the transaction, you, the person who is paying for the service, must pay the local and state taxes yourself on behalf of the vendor. Is ridiculous. Consumers are helping the state of your residency to enforce the tax law.

Facebook (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 21, 2010 13:52 |  #21

I would buy off of this forum no problem - if they have a decent amount of posts and a history in the feedback thread, I wouldn't be concerned.

Use paypal and enjoy - they usually side with the buyer but I haven't had a bad experience yet.

DreDaze
18,048 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2010 13:53 |  #22

the whole first page talks about how it's dealing with paying taxes from purchases within NY, and outside of NY...the personal property is just referring to items that are purchased with non business uses:

The questions and answers in this publication also apply to businesses located in New York State that are not
required to be registered for New York State sales and use tax purposes. .... Also, the term personal purchases will be used to mean non-business related purchases.

edit: i didn't mean it's talking about businesses as in a business paying tax...i mean it's talking about how a person buying from a business needs to pay tax...the problem with that is buying used off of this forum, you are buying off a person, and not a business...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 13:53 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

hairy_moth wrote in post #11491997 (external link)
It is not about business, the document is titled: "Purchaser's Obligations to Pay Sales and Use Taxes Directly to the Tax Department Questions and Answers"

And, in case you think tax is due only when purchasing from a registered NY business, here is a quote from page 10:

That's just unenforceable.....how are they going to document all the purchases? Monitoring your PayPal accounts??? :)

Facebook (external link)

Beau1k
295 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 21, 2010 13:54 |  #24

Pay tax on something used? Something where the tax was already paid when it was new? How many times can (1) item be taxed? That seems like double taxation to me!!

7D - Transcend 32GB 600x - 70/200 IS II & 17-55 - Dolica Proline Carbon Fiber

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2010 13:57 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #11492014 (external link)
the whole first page talks about how it's dealing with paying taxes from purchases within NY, and outside of NY...the personal property is just referring to items that are purchased with non business uses:

edit: i didn't mean it's talking about businesses as in a business paying tax...i mean it's talking about how a person buying from a business needs to pay tax...the problem with that is buying used off of this forum off a person is not a business...

I believe so...... I love this quote, "If a business does not collect New York State and local sales tax from a purchaser, it is
the purchaser’s responsibility to pay tax directly to the Tax Department on a taxable transaction."

Facebook (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2010 14:00 |  #26

TooManyShots wrote in post #11492017 (external link)
That's just unenforceable.....how are they going to document all the purchases? Monitoring your PayPal accounts??? :)

There you go!

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but with many states that currently have really serious financial problems, to the point that they will be looking to the US government to bail them out (like Greece is looking to the European Union to bail them out) and when those states include California whose economy makes up a ridiculously large percentage of the US economy (i.e., the federal government can't afford to bail them out), I think it is naive to think that the states are not going to get creative about raising additional revenue... that is if you consider enforcing standing laws creative.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 21, 2010 14:05 |  #27

Beau1k wrote in post #11492020 (external link)
Pay tax on something used? Something where the tax was already paid when it was new? How many times can (1) item be taxed? That seems like double taxation to me!!

an item can be taxed as many times as it is sold.. sales tax, not item tax

Gear List | Wish List |

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2010 14:06 |  #28

Beau1k wrote in post #11492020 (external link)

I bought a used motorcycle once. When I went to get it registered for plates, the clerk asked me for a receipt. I told them, "I bought it used, I didn't get one." "How much?" asked the clerk. When I told her, she calculated the sales tax required and added it to the amount I needed to pay for plates.. That is actually when I became aware of these laws.. that and when I noticed the line on the NJ state tax form (something like) "Sales tax due for out of state and other purchases where tax was not collected"

DreDaze
18,048 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2010 14:06 |  #29

hairy_moth wrote in post #11492049 (external link)
There you go!

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but with many states that currently have really serious financial problems, to the point that they will be looking to the US government to bail them out (like Greece is looking to the European Union to bail them out) and when those states include California whose economy makes up a ridiculously large percentage of the US economy (i.e., the federal government can't afford to bail them out), I think it is naive to think that the states are not going to get creative about raising additional revenue... that is if you consider enforcing standing laws creative.

yeah...they're going to try and enforce people from california paying taxes on items that they buy online from businesses like B&H...you're already supposed to when you file your taxes, but I'm sure a large majority of folks don't...but that being said, i still don't think it pertains to buying from individuals...but i'm willing to agree to disagree on all that wording :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2010 14:10 |  #30

It really depends on the lens and the seller. Good communication is very important for buying used.

sponsored links

5,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES FROM B/S....POLL
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.