Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 01:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Different prices for different uses

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2010 01:24 |  #1

So I've shot a very high exposure, popular local university sport stadium on a freelance basis and have begun to sell the images. Most people that I have sold to or am in the process of selling to have had some involvement with the building's design, construction, material supply or the like. I've been approached by a beer distributor to use the images in their marketing (they were referred by the athletic dept at the University to me).

My question is - Should I be charging them the same price that I am charging all of the other people? The others are going to use the images for their own marketing such as websites, award proposals, prints for offices and the like. But this agency is interested in using them for cooler wraps, promotional banners, maybe 12 pack boxes and things like that, that will become out of my control once I sell the rights (non-exclusive) to them.. Should I / can I charge them a higher rate for this? I could offer them exclusive rights and essentially sell them the photos along with their rights and remove them from the market.

If I charge 1XX for each image to the typical client, what should I charge this person? I'm interested to know your take. Thanks for your time.

enlightphoto
28 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2010 03:07 |  #2

It depends on how you want to license your photos. If you think the use by the beer company is worth more, price it as Rights Managed and sell all specific uses for a four or five figure license fee. If you're OK selling the non-exclusive unlimited use rights to any client as Royalty Free, why would you charge more than you've charged the others.

Here's the ballpark: The client can get a high res microstock photo (if available) with all the commercial use for around $25.00. They can get the same rights with traditional RF licensing for about $500.00. Those two models are both price-based on file size. Rights Managed is priced according how the images are used. If a mom&pop store want to use your photos for a counter display in one store - why should that be the same as if it was Budwieser or Coors that wanted to use your photo to plaster all over a multi-state region?

I've written about license pricing (external link) based on my near decade of running a small niche agency.

Hope that helps...

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images (external link)
PORTFOLIO (external link) / Weblog (external link)
Facebook (external link) / Twitter (external link)

Architective
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2010 10:18 as a reply to  @ enlightphoto's post |  #3

Gary - Thank you for writing on this. I appreciate your writings on your website and have found them very useful.

One thing that I suppose it is worth saying is that I'm primarily an Architectural Photographer, and that is my main focus in the business. That's why it's a little odd to be approached by someone for the use of my images in this way.

I suppose I'm unsure if this is comparable with the rates from the stock photo sites. The images that they're intending to use are specific images of a local, very recognizable venue instead of standard basketball stadium type images. They're looking to put it on the cooler wraps and banners now, and may decide to use it for other promotional materials in the future, which makes me a little leery of giving them a one time usage/right price. I just want to make sure that I'm not short selling myself at this time of the initial negotiation.

I'm charging the other clients $150 per image for first party, non exclusive usage rights. In looking at some of the sites that you have linked on your site, I should be charging anywhere from $450 up to $1500 each, but I don't know that I can justify that. It's a new client, and I don't want to run them off at the same time. PM me if this gets too detailed for the forum. I appreciate your help.

enlightphoto
28 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2010 14:50 |  #4

Architective wrote in post #11496930 (external link)
Gary - Thank you for writing on this. I appreciate your writings on your website and have found them very useful.

One thing that I suppose it is worth saying is that I'm primarily an Architectural Photographer, and that is my main focus in the business. That's why it's a little odd to be approached by someone for the use of my images in this way.

I suppose I'm unsure if this is comparable with the rates from the stock photo sites. The images that they're intending to use are specific images of a local, very recognizable venue instead of standard basketball stadium type images. They're looking to put it on the cooler wraps and banners now, and may decide to use it for other promotional materials in the future, which makes me a little leery of giving them a one time usage/right price. I just want to make sure that I'm not short selling myself at this time of the initial negotiation.

I'm charging the other clients $150 per image for first party, non exclusive usage rights. In looking at some of the sites that you have linked on your site, I should be charging anywhere from $450 up to $1500 each, but I don't know that I can justify that. It's a new client, and I don't want to run them off at the same time. PM me if this gets too detailed for the forum. I appreciate your help.

Have you ever raised prices for an architectural client? Chances are not. Once you ask for low prices, that's what your client will expect from you, and you'll never be able to really ask for what the real value is. If you're giving them a fair price relative to the agencies and how they want to use the photo(s), then they'll either take it or they won't.

But, and this is a very big but, "DON'T PRICE OUT OF FEAR." Learn it, love it, live it.

Btw, the fact that the image is of something very specific, makes it worth even more to the client, not less. Chances are they'd have a much harder time finding another that they like as much. All the more reason to stand firm on fair stock pricing rates.

Give em a fair price, If they want to use it, they'll buy.

Cheers & good luck,

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images (external link)
PORTFOLIO (external link) / Weblog (external link)
Facebook (external link) / Twitter (external link)

Architective
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2010 16:23 as a reply to  @ enlightphoto's post |  #5

Gary - That is great advice. I ended up negotiating my prices down a bit based on the fact that they're willing to put my logo on the artwork, which will be statewide in stores, and get me exposure that I wouldn't get otherwise. I doubt that I will work for this client again, but if I do, I have no heartache working for the image price I negotiated to.

Don't price out of fear. Love it.

Thanks again Gary...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Different prices for different uses
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.