Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 85L f/1.2 II vs Sigma 85 f/1.4

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 22, 2010 21:19 |  #1

This is just a quick test between the Canon 85L f/1.2 and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. The images were done in jpg and cropped. I used ISO 800, with ambient lighting. The camera was setup on a tripod and triggered remotely.

I found that the Sigma performed admirably against one of the holy trinity, the fabled 85L f/1.2 II. The Sigma to me was sharper at all f stops. I just tested it to f/2.2, because you buy these lenses for their wide aperture. For $899 vs the Canon’s $1800-2000, it gets the job done. I can live without that extra 1/2 of a stop. Again this is just IMHO.

PDF (small file, compressed images)
http://db.tt/wnPuotR (external link)

MS Word Document (Larger file)
http://db.tt/pkPrNed (external link)

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
speters2
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2010 22:01 |  #2

You did an amazing job, thanks for sharing. I think I like the Canon over the Sigma up to f/1.8, after that the Sigma shows better contrast as well as sharpness - amazing.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 22, 2010 22:11 |  #3

Pretty much everything I expect from other sources. Now I wait for the 85L fanboys to show up and tell us wrong... lol

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 23, 2010 01:12 |  #4

If all your settings are similar, it looks like the Sigma allows lets in more light than the Canon. Is the Sigma also a little wider? Kinda like the difference with the Canon 50mm and the Sigma 50mm lenses.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 23, 2010 07:00 |  #5

themadman wrote in post #11500663 (external link)
Pretty much everything I expect from other sources. Now I wait for the 85L fanboys to show up and tell us wrong... lol

You mean like these guys...

http://www.slrgear.com​/reviews/index.php (external link)

:)

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

billythek
161 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 23, 2010 07:27 |  #6

And while you are at it, you should compare it to the 85mm 1.8.
It doesn't look like the eyelashes were in focus in any of those pictures.

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 23, 2010 07:29 |  #7

I had to choose between both a couple of weeks ago. I got the 85L only because I got an SUPER deal from Lens Rentals. Otherwise I'd go for the Sigma.
The only three reasons to pick the canon are, IMHO, if you REALLY need 1.2, the price holding trough time and assured compatibility with future bodies.
Otherwise, Sigma has faster AF, way cheaper, just as sharp and great bokeh.
Sigma have been putting out some great glass lately at very very competitive prices.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

darktiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 23, 2010 07:31 |  #8

I also like how fast it focuses.... While I did not have a problem with the 85L, the Sigma is significantly faster.

My Gear

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 23, 2010 07:38 |  #9

darktiger wrote in post #11500388 (external link)
I can live without that extra stop. Again this is just IMHO.
[/URL]

It's just 1/3the of a stop.. I can live without that too :-).

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

darktiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 23, 2010 07:56 |  #10

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5285051737_99b91f0598_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/52850​51737/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5249/5285051759_961874a255_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darktiger/52850​51759/  (external link)

My Gear

darktiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 23, 2010 07:58 |  #11

JelleVerherstraeten wrote in post #11501939 (external link)
It's just 1/3the of a stop.. I can live without that too :-).

I thought it was a 1/2 of a stop difference?

My Gear

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 23, 2010 09:50 |  #12

Thanks for sharing - looks like the Sigma might be in my not-too-distant future. :D

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

gte357s
489 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 23, 2010 23:48 as a reply to  @ hieu1004's post |  #13

In my opinion, the 85L is a (slightly) better lens. It is much more solid build, and I feel the color and contrast are better too (not scientific, just my impression). However, the Sigma is less than half of the price and focus faster. So, for me, I pick the Sigma. Really, $800 difference is big, I can buy another lens, or use it for my camera upgrade.

Canon 5D MK I | Canon 24-70 F2.8 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS I | Sigma 85 F1.4 | Tamron 1.4x TC | Canon 430 EXII

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,624 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 24, 2010 01:30 |  #14

Uh... I'm a fan of the Sigma 85. I like what it can do and the price. And had I not purchased the 85L already, I would likely have bought the Siggy85.

So now that's out of the way, something is odd with your samples/examples. The 85L @ f/1.2 is seemingly sharper than your other comparison photos (f/1.4-f/2.2). The f/1.4-f/2.2 photos look slightly OOF, due to probable front-focus.

At least this is my assessment of your comparison when viewing the *.pdf. I understand the sample photos were compressed so there's loss of IQ due to that, but when the f/1.2 looks quite sharp and everything else not-so-sharp... I'm not sure if this comparison is indicative of other 85L lenses. Perhaps your copy of the 85L is not as good as it could/should be?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 24, 2010 03:42 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #15

dxomark made a more scientific comparison .. and 85L in the centre is almost the sharpest 85mm lens on the market from wide open (Zeiss, Nikon, Sigma).. lenstip too, has got some charts showing such fact sigma is very sharp but behind canon at most of the apertures.

What should be a more or less a real trouble is that sigma's AF seems fast but not really reliable (warning from lensrate,The-Digital-Picture.com's experience, and my own experience of sigma 24F1.8 tend to prove that sigma is really far from being acceptable -> it's focusing, but surely randomly accurate).
In the same time, 85L is almost 90% of the time really accurate, assuming people have to know how to use an ultra thin DOF, the right AF point and have enough skill to point on the right part of the subject, and can keep tracking a moving subject.

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

sponsored links

25,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 85L f/1.2 II vs Sigma 85 f/1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.