Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 19 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bighorn Sheep

MartyMcFly
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2010 13:36 |  #1

Hey guys, here are a few shots I took the other day while driving trough Montana.

Please feel free to comment and critique. I would really love any advice people have for shooting in snow.

I tried a few different processed to get rid of the blue hue in the background but didn't get it done....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

50D / 24-70 f2.8L / 70-200 f4L IS / 430EX II

sponsored links
ca7696
679 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 19, 2010 18:40 |  #2

wow great shots

Northontguy
973 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 19, 2010 20:12 |  #3

Looks really good to me. Nice pics.

GEAR- 7D, sigma 17-50, 100-400L,430ex II

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 20, 2010 04:33 |  #4

nice shots

dgraham329
Cream of the Crop
11,133 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2010 09:41 |  #5

nice captures

dano57
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2010 16:27 |  #6

Agree with everyone above. Great Work!

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

fuzzybunny88
34 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 26, 2010 14:36 |  #7

They look great.

fishwich
319 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 26, 2010 14:50 as a reply to  @ fuzzybunny88's post |  #8

Yes, great shots.

scottkinf
34 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 27, 2010 23:11 |  #9

Great shots, especially with the high contrast.
Take this as constructive criticism, and it may not be possible with wildlife shots, but try to compose such that there are no wood piles or fences, etc. that connect with the subject.

Either wait for the animal to move or you change your vantage point.

Sometimes, this happens to me and I don't catch it until looking at it in PSE.

sek

MartyMcFly wrote in post #11479515 (external link)
Hey guys, here are a few shots I took the other day while driving trough Montana.

Please feel free to comment and critique. I would really love any advice people have for shooting in snow.

I tried a few different processed to get rid of the blue hue in the background but didn't get it done....

Scott K.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,811 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2010 03:14 |  #10

scottkinf wrote in post #11525945 (external link)
Take this as constructive criticism, and it may not be possible with wildlife shots, but try to compose such that there are no wood piles or fences, etc. that connect with the subject.

Thumbs up to that!

Otherwise, great color tone/white balance in these photos.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

NGordon
45 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2010 19:12 |  #11

I agree with scottkinf, and for me they are cropped to closely. Great captures though.

7Dmkii

MartyMcFly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:42 |  #12

Thank you for the kudos guys !!

I would have loved to have captured these shots without all of the fencing and stuff but I mean they were literally on the side of the road LOL. There was also a mini junkyard right behind them so that is why the crops are a little tighter. Thank you for the comments on composition and background as well, I have really been trying to work on that, just needs more practice. It's amazing how I get excited and start firing away on my subject and forget to see big picture. (pun intended)

I did get some 8 x 10 and a 6 x 9 prints of these from Mpix and they really did a good job. Of course I didn't notice until I got them back that I must of had some snow spray on my lens and there were little bubbles in the shot. Too late to clone em out :(

HOSTED PHOTO

risingwolf
502 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2011 17:42 |  #13

Was this from Hwy 200 between Plains and T Falls? Lots of sheep there but I never have my camera when I need it. Only live 1 hr from there and need to spend the day but you never know when they will be close. We lose many to cars and trucks because people don't slow down on the 13 mile stretch of road.

May there be peace
Canon 7D and 5D Mark III.

bettyn
Goldmember
3,446 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 01, 2011 21:22 |  #14

Great shots. Saw some Big Horns in Idaho but wasn't close enough to get any good pictures.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

MartyMcFly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2011 00:05 |  #15

It was in between West Yellowstone and Ennis on Hwy 287. Here is a link to Google maps so you can see where they were taken at in relation to the area.

http://maps.google.com …WjyQQ&cbp=12,10​.4,,0,4.05 (external link)

sponsored links

3,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bighorn Sheep
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.