Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a deal gone bad

this thread is locked
musso
662 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2010 15:55 |  #1

OK here is the story. i have a 1dc up for sale or trade i was contacted by a member here we went back and forth over a few days and came up with a trade we both could live with. i sent out the camera and emailed hie the tracking number i asked him to do the same. I emailed him when the package got to him. i never heard from him the package sat at the post office for 2 days. It then got picked up i have emailed him in those two days asking for the tracking number no reply. i got a reply from his girlfriend saying that he was in the ICU after an accident OK she did not know about the trade or anything. i have emailed him asking him to send the package back of to refuse the package before it was picked up. he has been on the site several times since i got the email from his girlfriend. no one will answer the phone either. or email me back. what should i do.

thank you
joe

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2010 15:58 |  #2

I think I'd try to be extremely patient and as understanding as humanly possible.

It sounds as if there is a major crisis on the other end. Chalk it up to bad timing, say a prayer for the buyer and wait it out for a while.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 23, 2010 16:02 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #3

musso wrote in post #11504414 (external link)
OK here is the story. i have a 1dc up for sale or trade i was contacted by a member here we went back and forth over a few days and came up with a trade we both could live with. i sent out the camera and emailed hie the tracking number i asked him to do the same. I emailed him when the package got to him. i never heard from him the package sat at the post office for 2 days. It then got picked up i have emailed him in those two days asking for the tracking number no reply. i got a reply from his girlfriend saying that he was in the ICU after an accident OK she did not know about the trade or anything. i have emailed him asking him to send the package back of to refuse the package before it was picked up. he has been on the site several times since i got the email from his girlfriend. no one will answer the phone either. or email me back. what should i do.

thank you
joe

Well if I was in the ICU I would not be getting in touch with you either.
How long of a time span are you talking here?

Sometimes things happen and to be honest there is nothing you can do. If his GF sent you a PM how do you know it has not been her on the site lately and not him?

If you got enough info and checked feedback prior to the deal just relax and I hope all works out for you and him.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2010 16:14 |  #4

it was an email not a pm and if the girlfriend was checking the email i should have been responded to at least once other than the first time. and why did the camera get picked up if he in the ICU i would think that a camera was the last thing i would be worried about it that situation. i asked them to refuse the shipment. time span is about a week or so

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 23, 2010 16:27 as a reply to  @ musso's post |  #5

I would wait another week or so, but I don't like the direction this is going.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2010 16:31 |  #6

Well, I'm not of the same opinion as those above. He is in the ICU, how does someone in ICU pick up a package? It's not like they are going to let his GF sign for it. Well, I guess that depends on how you shipped it, but every time I have had to pick up a package I have been asked for ID.

Now, the GF has access to the email, but no one is responding to the email now? That doesn't make sense. There is nothing he can do with he camera from the ICU, so why pick it up?

Finally, the user name has been on POTN but he is supposed to be in ICU? I can't imagine someone in ICU being about to just surf they net. I could be wrong, but lets face it....if he can visit POTN then he can get email.

Here's what I would do, but this is me. After one full week of no responses I would inform them that I am contacting the police. Since I have their address, it won't be hard for them to find him. If he is in fact in ICU, he won't be hard to find. If he is not in ICU, then he better send me my trade or my camera back. This is theft and it is still illegal. If the GF picked up the package, then she can mail yours to you just as easily. Its pretty simple to me, get the police involved. Once you let them know you are doing that you should have no problem getting what is due to you. If he is really and truly in the ICU, then who picked up the camera? And why didn't they send you what you were to receive?

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2010 16:39 |  #7

i have offered to overnight a return postage tag to them for the camera or pay for the trade item postage. i think someone should at least email me or call me.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2010 16:49 |  #8

musso wrote in post #11504643 (external link)
i have offered to overnight a return postage tag to them for the camera or pay for the trade item postage. i think someone should at least email me or call me.

If no response, just tell them you are contacting the local police in their area and you are going to provide them with the emails. I'm sure you will get a response right away. If you have emails stating a 'trade', then they will have to honor it or you can have them arrested.

Give them a day or two and then hit them with the police thing. I'm certain you will get a response quickly. Even if it isn't pleasant, who cares, at least you will get some progress.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 23, 2010 16:57 |  #9

i think i will give then until monday or Tuesday of next week and then pursue further action.

thnak you
joe

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 23, 2010 18:31 |  #10

It looks like postal fraud, I think I would be talking to the postal inspectors about now.

The post office is not going to release a package addressed to somebody requiring signature that does not have the same name and address. They have always asked for ID from me when I pickup a pack requiring a signature.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 23, 2010 19:07 |  #11

We do not allow public floggings or the raising or lynch mobs. Neither do we allow the public airing of private transactions anymore than we allow public negotiations in the For Sale forum. Since this thread was heading down that path it is now closed.

Musso, you have been given several suggestions. How you handle it is up to you but you may not pursue it in public.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links

1,376 views & 0 likes for this thread
a deal gone bad
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.