Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Dec 2010 (Friday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Permission to Copying my own photography?

Shirlsworld7
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 10:43 |  #1

I do have a question today. I am a beginner in photography and recently took some photos of my new grandbaby. I sent the photos to a local store to have them copied. When I went to pick them up they told me I couldn't have them without a release from the photographer (me). I tried to tell the young man I took the photos but he said he could tell they were not digitally enhanced photos but since they were Christmas pictures he allowed me to get them this time. I was told I needed to get a letterhead made up for future photos. I understand where he was coming from but do I need to makeup a letterhead giving myself permission to copy my photographs? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Shirlene

sponsored links
Hot ­ Cocoa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 10:45 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Shirlsworld7 wrote in post #11508179 (external link)
I do have question today. I am a beginner in photography and recent took some photos of my new grandbaby. I sent the photos to a local store to have them copied. When I went to pick them up they told me I couldn't have them without a release from the photographer (me). I tried to tell the young man I took the photos but he said he could tell they were not digitally enhanced photos and that Christmas pictures but I needed to get me a letterhead made up for future photos. I understand where he was coming from but do I need to makeup a letterhead giving myself permission to copy my photographs? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Shirlene

I would be VERY mad, I would talk to a manager, or threaten a lawsuit, or do what he says.

Pixel Peeper

SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 24, 2010 10:49 |  #3

This happened to me at Wal-Mart. I had a bunch (like 100) of my best photographs printed, so I could show some family and friends. I get there and they told me I had to sign a release form, saying I took those pictures, and then had to speak with the photo manager and sign some more crap. I was pretty mad that I had to go through all of that. I told them
"I'm sorry I take pictures that are good....but I won't be coming here again."

Canon PowerShot SX40HS
Steady hands, an open eye, and a (hopefully) empty SD card
My flickr page (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 24, 2010 10:53 |  #4

Hot Cocoa wrote in post #11508186 (external link)
I would be VERY mad, I would talk to a manager, or threaten a lawsuit, or do what he says.

Really ?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Hot ­ Cocoa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 10:55 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

neil_r wrote in post #11508220 (external link)
Really ?

yeah, that is just annoying. I would find something to sue for. I hate it when people do that kind of stuff.

Pixel Peeper

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,287 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 24, 2010 10:57 |  #6

Hot Cocoa wrote in post #11508186 (external link)

neil_r wrote in post #11508220 (external link)
Really ?

My sentiments exactly. I commend these guys for insuring that no theft is taking place. It is nice to see photo printers aware of copyright laws and actively working to protect the photographers rights. Sure it's a pain when you are the photo copyright owner but imagine if it was the other way round, your photos being reproduced illegally without your knowledge or compensation.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 24, 2010 10:59 |  #7

Me too. I hate it when people won't copy my copyrighted, protected images:rolleyes:

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

Hot ­ Cocoa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:01 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I guess if you put it that way....

Pixel Peeper

tcusta00
339 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:02 |  #9

Just sign a release and go on with your life. They're protecting... you.

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2010 11:03 as a reply to  @ Hot Cocoa's post |  #10

:lol:

People complain about others stealing their pictures.

Then people complain about stores trying to prevent copyright theft.

There's no winning, is there?!

kilowat
284 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 24, 2010 11:08 as a reply to  @ tcusta00's post |  #11

I took some wedding pictures( My first) for my son in laws sister, WalMart told them they need a release, I had signed the CD with permission to print and my #ph # they went ahead and printed the photo's

mike
40D, 350d xt
, canon TC 1.4, canon 70 200mm f2.8 tamron 28 75mm f2.8

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 24, 2010 11:20 |  #12

IMHO every store should have every customer sign a form as a matter of routine stating they are the owner of the photos, instead of making an uninformed judgement of which photos are professional and which are not. The fact is even snapshots taken by someone else belong to the photographer, if you want to get technical about it.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Hot ­ Cocoa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:22 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

hawkeye60 wrote in post #11508331 (external link)
IMHO every store should have every customer sign a form as a matter of routine stating they are the owner of the photos, instead of making an uninformed judgement of which photos are professional and which are not. The fact is even snapshots taken by someone else belong to the photographer, if you want to get technical about it.

^^^ this!

Pixel Peeper

Shirlsworld7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:26 |  #14

Oh I'm not complaining about them being watchful and protecting photographers. I am more or less just asking what or how I need to make up a letterhead which is what I was told I needed... Has anyone else had to write one up and if so what should it say?

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 24, 2010 11:28 |  #15

Shirlsworld7 wrote in post #11508358 (external link)
Oh I'm not complaining about them being watchful and protecting photographers. I am more or less just asking what or how I need to make up a letterhead which is what I was told I needed... Has anyone else had to write one up and if so what should it say?

I think Costco has a form on their site you can download.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

sponsored links

7,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Permission to Copying my own photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.