Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to make second monitor show before and after in lightroom 3?

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 23, 2010 14:47 |  #1

Im wanting my second display to show the before and after comparison of an image I am editing on my main display. Does anybody know how to do this?

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 24, 2010 08:16 |  #2

Shift+C in Library module will compare two images. So if you create a virtual copy of the "before" state, that might do the trick. Otherwise: Not possible AFAIK.

\ shows the before on the main screen. Shift+\ brings up Grid with Library filter on the second screen.

These are your options:
(Window > Secondary screen)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20101224-tnb8pwa5kmstpj24qqjgpd33mk.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 24, 2010 08:27 |  #3

The X/X button on the Tool Bar in Develop shows before/after, but I'm not sure if it can be spread over two screens.

Elie / אלי

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2010 08:34 |  #4

There isn't anyway I have found to do before on one monitor and after on another, you can have Before/After on a secondary monitor and use your main monitor for everything else, but you can't split the before and after between monitors.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 24, 2010 09:31 |  #5

Saxi wrote in post #11507599 (external link)
There isn't anyway I have found to do before on one monitor and after on another,

On the contrary, that's easily done.

Set the secondary screen to "Loupe" view (Shift+E), then, in Develop mode, hit \ to see the "before" on your primary screen.

Saxi wrote in post #11507599 (external link)
you can have Before/After on a secondary monitor

I've not found a way to do that yet.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2010 09:54 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #11507813 (external link)
On the contrary, that's easily done.

Set the secondary screen to "Loupe" view (Shift+E), then, in Develop mode, hit \ to see the "before" on your primary screen.

I've not found a way to do that yet.

Ahh, yes that does work. Only problem for me is my main monitor is the calibrated quality monitor, my second one is for email, so I'd rather see the after on my primary. I didn't think of doing that though, it does work.

As for putting before/after on secondary monitor, I was wrong about that as well LOL. It was only compare, I thought it was before/after I just checked and verified.

So just ignore what I said!

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

qwerty11
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 24, 2010 16:04 |  #7

Yea, I want the secondary monitor to do the before and after. Not before on one and after on another.

tomihawk
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 10, 2012 11:33 |  #8

This is an old thread but since it's one of the top results in a google search and something that still hasn't changed in Lightroom I thought I'd throw in my work-around. Create a snapshot of the original (Ctrl-N) and any time I want a before/after on the second monitor create another snapshot and use the mouse to swap between them as there's no keyboard shortcut for moving between snapshots.

One annoying side effect is changing between snapshots shows up in your edit history but since the mouse is in your hand and the pointer is in that area it's easy to just click to the last proper edit.

It's not ideal and doesn't work well if you have a lot snapshots already but it's the best way I've found to do it.

sponsored links

7,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to make second monitor show before and after in lightroom 3?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.