Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 40D Shutter Failure - 7000 Actuations!

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,780 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2010 01:44 |  #46

Phil has summed it up rather well, above, and I'd just like to add that the process
of a shutter replacement in a Canon camera requires decent knowledge of electronic
assemblies and micro-mechanical mechanisims.

This is not to say that it can't be done by a non-Canon technician, but to stress
that the process requires something of a working knowledge of electronic
and small mechanical assemblies. If you understand how an electronic ribbon
cable attaches to another component, and understand how a bunch of seemingly
unassociated screws hold together the case of any given electronic device, and have
a basic understanding of how these electronic devices interconnect together while
knowing about the differences between the various interconnection methods,
then you're all set and ready for undertaking a repair on your own.

You may also need to know some soldering techniques, as Canon assemblies are heavy
on ground-wire connections, from my own experiences. I replaced an A690's broken display
recently, only to discover that the assembly is grounded six ways to Sunday, while the actual
assembly is grounded 'till the cows come home. Grounding was accomplished with the metal
frame of the camera, and has served well through a 10-day visit to the Arctic Circle.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

sponsored links
mnsoda
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 21, 2010 09:16 |  #47

I experienced similar symptoms to my 40D. Only works in live view, some pictures are haft over exposed, flash does not work and error 99. Sent it into canon beginning December, got in a week ago. It was a failed shutter. My 40D has 10k clicks, very disappointing but this hobby is not cheap.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2010 09:39 |  #48

callumogrady wrote in post #11489129 (external link)
Excuse the french

LIVE VIEW F*CKING WORKS !

views and is able to take photos!

What now guys ?

WOW IM SO EXCITED AHA (:

CALLUM

OK, if you can take photos in Live View, then you do not have a shutter issue. More than likely, you have a mirror lock up issue. This is something you can work around for the time being. I would find a local Canon place and show them what it going on. I can only imagine the mirror lock up would be less expensive because they don't have to get as far into the camera.

One thing about Live View, you can't AF in Live View. I believe you can use the AF-ON button to get focus between shots, but you will not be able to shoot moving objects in Live View. I use Live View from time to time and I focus my shot, then activate Live View. I never bother with it for sports or wildlife, only subject's that are not moving.

Even on my 50D there is no way to AF in Live View. If there is, I haven't figured it out.

Depending on what you shoot, you could be fine for the time being. I would still take the camera back to the Canon place and say 'look, the works just fine in Live View, so it's not the shutter.' See if you can get someone a little smarter to help you this time. I actually quite surprised they didn't try this at the shop. Live View and/or Manual Cleaning are two very good ways to see if the shutter is functioning. It sounds to me like the Canon rep you spoke with didn't think to check either of these, so I would talk to someone else next time.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2010 12:47 |  #49

50D can AF in live view, it has "live" focusing in addition to "quick" focusing which is what the 40D has. But if that 40D is having mirror trouble then the 'quick' focusing likely won't work. Live focusing is slow but it works, just press the AF-ON button in live view and make sure that the live focusing mode is enabled rather than quick mode.

Sounds like mirror motor issues if live view works perfectly. If the shutter was broken it would likely cover part of the sensor even in live view mode but you can check it yourself quite easily: just put it on a manual cleaning cycle or bulb exposure, take off the lens and have a look at the sensor to see if the shutter is hanging around. Try mirror lockup to look at the shutter itself on the first press of the shutter.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

dru8p
239 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 21, 2010 14:41 |  #50

callumogrady wrote in post #11489129 (external link)
Excuse the french

LIVE VIEW F*CKING WORKS !

views and is able to take photos!

What now guys ?

WOW IM SO EXCITED AHA (:

CALLUM

this happened to me also, i kept getting an err99 in viewfinder, but live view worked.
try calling canon, they have a bunch of steps you can try before sending it in. updating firmware, and some other stuff. unfortunately, i had to send mine in and they 'claimed' it was due to the shutter mechanism and cost me about $220 usd

Gear: 40D, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 580ex ii

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2010 15:44 |  #51

hpulley wrote in post #11491700 (external link)
50D can AF in live view, it has "live" focusing in addition to "quick" focusing which is what the 40D has. But if that 40D is having mirror trouble then the 'quick' focusing likely won't work. Live focusing is slow but it works, just press the AF-ON button in live view and make sure that the live focusing mode is enabled rather than quick mode.

Sounds like mirror motor issues if live view works perfectly. If the shutter was broken it would likely cover part of the sensor even in live view mode but you can check it yourself quite easily: just put it on a manual cleaning cycle or bulb exposure, take off the lens and have a look at the sensor to see if the shutter is hanging around. Try mirror lockup to look at the shutter itself on the first press of the shutter.

Thank you for sharing! Now I can AF in Live View. LOL

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

callumogrady
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 24, 2010 16:26 |  #52

FireDragon wrote in post #11488969 (external link)
Did you take out the 3 volt watch battery yet ? maybe take it out for a few min to clear all the circuit stuff. Could be just a small hardware/software hiccup.

Merry Christmas guys!

FireDragon, just where is the 3 volt battery?
I don't have a user manual on me on the trip to reference too at the moment.

- Canon 40D Body
- 100-400mm
- 17-55mm

callumogrady
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 24, 2010 16:37 |  #53

Okay so now its basically impossible for me to get to Canon,
Heading home from holidays tomorrow and they are shut for the Christmas period
I live 10 hours from the Canon workshop! aha

I will probably send it in.
But thats where things start racking up,
$20 to send it in, then I get a quote, if I don't accept the quote from Canon, $50 for them looking at it and a $10 postage fee back home

The LV works fine and takes photos perfectly, but when I go to review the photo the 40D Error 99's
Manual cleaning is fine, I select it, shutter goes up, the screen says Clean and then I switch the camera off and shutter goes back down to normal.

Just testing the camera while typing this message,
Now the camera works fine in the viewfinder, will happily take the photo and does the full actuation!
I cannot view the photo because it just Error 99's after the shot ):

What is going on with this thing, its so eratic, help ! (:

- Canon 40D Body
- 100-400mm
- 17-55mm

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2010 16:53 |  #54

It is starting to sound more like a circuitry issue. If you take the CF card out, can you view the images on your computer?

It won't do you any good at all if the camera is not writing the image to the card. If it is writing the image to the card, then there has to be some kind of internal circuitry issue. This is just my best guess. The problem with ERR 99 is the fact that is covers a wide range of potential issues. It is a very vague error. If you Google it you will see what I'm talking about.

callumogrady
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 24, 2010 16:55 |  #55

I can view the images on the camera, just when I turn it on and go straight into it
Its when LV is enabled it Error 99's

The images are saved on the card and I can view them, they are all just as I had taken them.

- Canon 40D Body
- 100-400mm
- 17-55mm

FireDragon
233 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 24, 2010 19:54 as a reply to  @ callumogrady's post |  #56

Open up your main battery compartment. It will be right were the hinge is. CR2016 3V will be written on it. You will also see a finger grip on th side to pull it straight up.

Good luck........... Dennis

http://firedragonphoto​graphy.com/ (external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2010 20:18 |  #57

Err99 when you go to view the picture? Hmm, are you sure the pictures are being stored? Doesn't sound good. Check the memory card slot for bent pins.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

callumogrady
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 24, 2010 20:25 |  #58

Thanks for the tip FireDragon, the battery trick didn't work
Asked me to reset the date but didnt fix the issue

hpulley
I enable LV, take a photo, the photo shows on the screen for two seconds in review, then back into LV
When I press the review button manually, the camera displays the latest image for a split second and Error 99's.

Whereas if I don't enable LV and just go straight to review, the images load fine and I can review them all. Including the ones that I had just taken on LV.

- Canon 40D Body
- 100-400mm
- 17-55mm

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 25, 2010 16:03 as a reply to  @ callumogrady's post |  #59

Well, the good news is that it doesn't sound like a shutter problem.
Can you post one of the images?
Doesn't matter what it is or how good or bad it is.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 26, 2010 11:34 |  #60

philwillmedia wrote in post #11513164 (external link)
Well, the good news is that it doesn't sound like a shutter problem.
Can you post one of the images?
Doesn't matter what it is or how good or bad it is.

Well, it's only good news unless it's a circuitry issue. If that is the case, it could be costly to fix.

sponsored links

9,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 40D Shutter Failure - 7000 Actuations!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.