Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this sturdy enough for my needs?

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 23, 2010 22:25 |  #1

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=738​078&is=REG (external link)

I shoot with a 7D with a 17-55mm attached to it, most of the time.

The biggest/heaviest lens I'll shoot with is a 70-200mm f2.8 IS mkII.

I've heard good things about Benro, and on their new tripods, I believe one of the legs screws off and becomes a monopod.

Any thoughts? I don't think I need carbon fiber nor can I afford it.

$280 is about the most I can spend, but if you guys have any better suggestions at that price range, I'd like to get a few more recommendations. I don't want to spend anymore than $300 because it just won't be used too often. I generally like to travel light and shoot handheld, but there are some rare moments when I really do need them.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 24, 2010 19:41 |  #2

I just realized that I did not provide the link in my opening post. Sorry!

Patrick Choi

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 24, 2010 21:11 |  #3

the travel angel isn't the last word in stability. you have to consider what's important to you. the travel angel is a great small tripod but if your sole concern is stability, i'd avoid the above choice. a manfrotto 190 perhaps?

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 24, 2010 22:49 as a reply to  @ midget's post |  #4

I have the carbon fiber version of this tripod. With a few days of serious shooting under its belt, I have zero reservations.

If you can afford it, you may want to look at the carbon fiber version. You can get it off of ebay for less than $100 more than the aluminium.

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 25, 2010 02:51 |  #5

ender78 wrote in post #11510660 (external link)
I have the carbon fiber version of this tripod. With a few days of serious shooting under its belt, I have zero reservations.

If you can afford it, you may want to look at the carbon fiber version. You can get it off of ebay for less than $100 more than the aluminium.

As much as I would want a carbon fiber tripod, I'm maxed out at $300. I'm glad that you are having a good experience with your Benro.

Patrick Choi

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this sturdy enough for my needs?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.