Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 04:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Craigslist Robbery Story

dannythrottle
289 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 22, 2010 03:51 |  #61

Just buy from respected members, may it be a forum, ebayer, or friends and if the deal is too good to be true steer clear... as for CL its stock full of shadys, only thing I would possibly buy are vehicles.

Canon 5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
Former Canon 7D | 10-22mm f/3.5

sponsored links
P1et
386 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 22, 2010 09:08 |  #62

This all works well for smaller items, but I had to sell a couch and table on Craigslist recently. Really no way to meet someone at Starbucks for this. They have to come to your home to check out the furniture, which I never feel comfortable with...

Canon 50D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX | ST-E2

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 23, 2010 21:46 |  #63

w8291 wrote in post #11455875 (external link)
when i do the starbucks thing I always make sure to buy some coffee and small talk the baristas so they know i'm there and can help watch for me

I'll always do CL deals at starbucks and I'll make sure I have a nice big magma hot cup of coffee in my hand the whole time. I'll usually have my wife there as well, but at another table looking for me to signal if things are ok or not. I wonder how much money starbucks has exchange hands because of CL.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 23, 2010 22:15 |  #64

I find the prices on CraigsList are frequently higher that on eBay. A lot of the folks think they can still get $200 for AE-1. But occassionally you can find a jewell. The best part is you can see the item and determine if there is a problem before you hand over the coin.

The tips for finding a safe place to exchange are important to heed when dealing locally. There are alot of bad folks on CraigsLists and eBay and even on this Forum. So expect to get burnt once in a while. The nice thing about eBay and PayPal is if you hve a good case, you will win on eBay.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

chris ­ jones
196 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 23, 2010 22:24 |  #65

Lesson learned today: Don't mess with trigger happy photographers

Flickr (external link)

Sramdon
66 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 24, 2010 11:01 |  #66

professorman wrote in post #11459072 (external link)
Remind me of a show I watched on Spike last night 1000 ways to die. #259 De-Throned (external link). Very funny.

That was very funny, i watched it too.

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark iii, 70-200 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8, Speedlite 580 EX, Alien Bees AB400
My Site (external link) | facebook (external link)

Hot ­ Cocoa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2010 11:13 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Starbucks is a good idea, I always prefer to ship, even if it is local.

Pixel Peeper

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 25, 2010 00:27 |  #68

All this gun talk over buying/selling on craigs is pretty funny IMO. Talk about paranoia...

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 26, 2010 12:04 |  #69

Let's keep this in perspective:
1. There have ALWAYS been robberies/thefts/murde​rs/etc.
2. We hear about it quicker now because of cell phones/tv/internet/etc​.
3. Use common sense and you'll be fine. Know your area and environment.

Meet in well lit public places. Banks, Starbucks, in middle of Walmart parking lot, etc. Avoid deals that seem "too good to be true". No, no one is going to sell you a 1dsmk3 for $500. When I was in a certain place in the midwest I kept my .45 handy (were lots of break ins and such)...here in Troutdale Oregon I keep it locked away. Etc. Bring a friend/spouse/etc and you'll be fine.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 26, 2010 18:08 |  #70

LudaChris wrote in post #11510952 (external link)
All this gun talk over buying/selling on craigs is pretty funny IMO. Talk about paranoia...

There is no paranoia! It is common sense. If I am carrying thousands of dollars of equipment (BTW, it takes only one lens to do that), either I am with people I know and trust or I am carrying an equalizer. There are bad people out there and I hope I never meet them, but if I do it will be as Neal Boortz remarks DRT (dead right there). With a little common sense, I probably will never get in that situation and I hope no one on this list does either.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

SE ­ Smith ­ Jr
566 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2010 02:47 |  #71

bcd01 wrote in post #11518284 (external link)
There is no paranoia! It is common sense. If I am carrying thousands of dollars of equipment (BTW, it takes only one lens to do that), either I am with people I know and trust or I am carrying an equalizer. There are bad people out there and I hope I never meet them, but if I do it will be as Neal Boortz remarks DRT (dead right there). With a little common sense, I probably will never get in that situation and I hope no one on this list does either.

Amen!

-Steve

StarJack
609 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 31, 2010 20:47 |  #72

Mozzie (White Collar): "Paranoia is a skill. The secret to longevity."

:lol:

Regards,
Steve

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 31, 2010 21:04 |  #73

Ditto.... Starbucks.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 31, 2010 22:53 |  #74

I recently sold my printer on Craigslist and then my automobile, both from my home, both buyers came inside. In fact, the person who bought my car arrived with his friend in a white convertible BMW M3.

Both transactions went smoothly, thankfully, all cash. And unless the bills are made by the Russian Government, I am able to tell a real bill from a fake one.

And I agree with ScottBerger here.

mark

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 23:32 |  #75

Exactly! I personally find collapsible batons to be effective enough. It's poor form to bring a gun to a knife fight :)

My Gearlist

sponsored links

8,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Craigslist Robbery Story
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.