Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Dec 2010 (Friday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Permission to Copying my own photography?

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2010 08:11 |  #31

Maybe you guys should just use pro labs. Issue solved, no more crappy prints or crappy customer service.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

sponsored links
SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 25, 2010 09:10 |  #32

cory1848 wrote in post #11511802 (external link)
Maybe you guys should just use pro labs. Issue solved, no more crappy prints or crappy customer service.

I never use the quick, store labs for anything else, except for quick prints to show friends or family. If I actually am using the picture for anything or selling it, I use either online sources or a local print shop. But of course for just some quick visuals to show off, online is too slow and local labs are too pricey for something like that.

Canon PowerShot SX40HS
Steady hands, an open eye, and a (hopefully) empty SD card
My flickr page (external link)

tcusta00
339 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 25, 2010 09:13 |  #33

cory1848 wrote in post #11511802 (external link)

Some of us are hobbyists and don't have money to spend on the pro labs all the time. Quick prints to show friends and family are easy to source at places like Walmart.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 25, 2010 10:42 |  #34

Beau1k wrote in post #11508727 (external link)
What good is a release if anybody can sign for it and there's no follow up? This is ONLY to cover THEIR ass not ours.

Yes, that's true.... But I am very glad to hear that the stores are being careful and making an effort to protect peoples' copyright.

It doesn't stop people from lying and saying the photos are theirs. How can the store be expected to completely prevent that?

However, if your copyright is properly registered at the US Copyright office, and someone deliberately circumvents your copyright protections by lying on a form that they own the copyright, I ain't no attorney, but suspect that might qualify for the $30,000 per instance enhancement penalty award in court. And to make it easier, you have proof in writing.

100 images? That's potentially another $3,000,000 on top of what else is awarded (usage, penalties, reimbursement of legal fees).

Now, if it ever goes to court it probably wouldn't all be awarded in a case where someone just had 100 4x6s printed for personal use. It's the potential, though, up to which the court might award.

Think about it folks... Do you really want to complain to the clerk or managemant or even "sue the store" (good luck with that) for their making a reasonable effort to protect your copyright? That sounds pretty ass backward to me. Just sign the form stating that the images are yours to do with as you see fit (assuming they actually are).

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2010 12:26 |  #35

tcusta00 wrote in post #11511945 (external link)
Some of us are hobbyists and don't have money to spend on the pro labs all the time. Quick prints to show friends and family are easy to source at places like Walmart.

Pro labs are not that much more expensive than the Walmarts and Walgreens. But if its just friends and family, I can see your point.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

ryant35
Goldmember
4,340 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2010 12:48 |  #36

Costco does as good if not better then my local pro lab at 1/3 of the cost.

1DsMKII, 2 7D's & Grips & 1 dead 40D, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 1.4X TC III, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8, 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)"Ducky in the City" Fun for the ducky loving community.Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 25, 2010 14:14 |  #37

ryant35 wrote in post #11512608 (external link)

And the lab is still in business?

What is the name of the pro lab?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2010 14:27 |  #38

ryant35 wrote in post #11512608 (external link)

I would take Costco over walmart or walgreens anyday but I would never even thing about printing a clients wedding photos from there. If Costco was just as good, than that tells me your local lab isnt that good. Even mpix is far ahead of Costco.

Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 25, 2010 15:08 |  #39

Hot Cocoa wrote in post #11508231 (external link)
yeah, that is just annoying. I would find something to sue for. I hate it when people do that kind of stuff.

You mean that protect themselves from you suing them kind of stuff or the protect your interest as the copyright kind of stuff? Which of those two do you hate?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 25, 2010 15:09 |  #40

Shirlsworld7 wrote in post #11508358 (external link)
Oh I'm not complaining about them being watchful and protecting photographers. I am more or less just asking what or how I need to make up a letterhead which is what I was told I needed... Has anyone else had to write one up and if so what should it say?

Walmart has forms right there at the store for you to sign.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 25, 2010 15:15 |  #41

RDKirk wrote in post #11513007 (external link)
Walmart has forms right there at the store for you to sign.

Yep. When I got my school kids pictures printed last year, they would not release the pictures to me without filling out the form. It was mildly annoying, but not the most traumatic experience I have ever had at Wal-Mart.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 25, 2010 16:40 |  #42

cory1848 wrote in post #11512537 (external link)
Pro labs are not that much more expensive than the Walmarts and Walgreens. But if its just friends and family, I can see your point.

The one hour store is far more expensive than the pro lab I use (Richmond Pro Lab out of Virginia I do believe), except maybe the small prints of 4x6 are about the same. Of course it has to be shipped so everything is done in bulk, still cheaper though. I don't use the local lab anymore because their prices are twice as much as the one hour labs and honestly have gone down hill, they USED to be far above anyone in the film days - but when I stopped using them the quality had just diminished.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 25, 2010 20:21 |  #43

hawkeye60 wrote in post #11508331 (external link)
IMHO every store should have every customer sign a form as a matter of routine stating they are the owner of the photos, instead of making an uninformed judgement of which photos are professional and which are not. The fact is even snapshots taken by someone else belong to the photographer, if you want to get technical about it.

If it's applied evenly... across the board... I'd be fine with it. If it's applied haphazardly, I'd be annoyed and would take my future business elsewhere.

Then again, I have established a good working relationship with a local non-chain photo place, and it feels good to be trusted when I walk through the door.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

ryant35
Goldmember
4,340 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2010 21:19 |  #44

cory1848 wrote in post #11512895 (external link)
I would take Costco over walmart or walgreens anyday but I would never even thing about printing a clients wedding photos from there. If Costco was just as good, than that tells me your local lab isnt that good. Even mpix is far ahead of Costco.

Maybe Costco isn't as good mas mpix but it's much cheaper and I don't have to wait and pay for shipping.

1DsMKII, 2 7D's & Grips & 1 dead 40D, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 1.4X TC III, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8, 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)"Ducky in the City" Fun for the ducky loving community.Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)

liquidtek
202 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 26, 2010 01:49 |  #45

Hot Cocoa wrote in post #11508231 (external link)
yeah, that is just annoying. I would find something to sue for. I hate it when people do that kind of stuff.

this made me LOL

1D mk IV | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Canon 430EX II
My SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

7,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Permission to Copying my own photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.