Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 25 Dec 2010 (Saturday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter for Canon 100-400mm for Birding

hramakers
679 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 25, 2010 09:43 |  #1

Hello All and Merry Christmas!

I finally got a Canon 100-400mm yesterday and need to get a filter for the lens for protections as well as........

Is anyone using any particular filters to help with their bird photogrphy? Circular poloarizer?

Thanks for the insight!!

Hal

Holger

sponsored links
Fiddlefingers
195 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 25, 2010 13:11 |  #2

As far as I'm concerned bird photography is all about speed so I don't use a polariser as that just reduces the shutter speed. I used to have UV filters on my lenses for protection, but then decided there was no point in putting inferior glass in front of an expensive lens. You can get expensive filters for protection, but for me that defeats the purpose of trying to protect something expensive. I just use the lens hood for protection.

http://www.tomgilland.​co.uk (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,698 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 25, 2010 14:34 |  #3

^^ ditto.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 25, 2010 23:04 as a reply to  @ Wallace River's post |  #4

Long list of threads about using a filter or not. You decide which side of the glass you want to be on, if you want to use a filter for "protection" spend money on it.

Spend some money and get one that doesn't degrade the quality of the image, good luck with that though.

However if getting the absolute best from lens isn't an issue and it more about just protecting the lens then buy what you want.

Circular polarizers, neutral density and even a couple other special filters can offer help or desired effects in certain situations. But they don't live on the end of the lens.

For some people this bears repeating; a CP is for use only in certain circumstances and leaving it on the lens all the time is foolish at best.

A CP is a good thing to have when needed.

A UV filter makes a really crappy coaster, ash tray or magnifying glass but IMO these are all still better uses than placing one in front of my lenses.

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

hramakers
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 26, 2010 07:48 as a reply to  @ BradM's post |  #5

Thank you for the insight....logic makes absolute sense...

Brad...thanks for he coaster,ashray....comm​ent.....I still can't stop laughing about it! I think that states your opinion quite well!

Maybe I'll just wrap a piece of SaranWrap over the front of the lens to protect it LOL

Holger

encphotogjoe
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 26, 2010 09:30 |  #6

I have used CP, UV and asorted filtes in the past and have never been happy with the results. Now I go mostly filterless and keep the lense hood on the lense as some sort of protection. In the middle of summer on a bright day, I occasionally use a CP and/or UV filter, but that is rare.

Canon 7d 100-400 mm zoom.

hramakers
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 26, 2010 13:34 |  #7

Thanks ENC....I'm convinced to stay filterless...doesn;t seem worth the money if you shoot through inferior glass with ! May experiment alittle as you suggest but won;t be leaving one on

Holger

h14nha
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 26, 2010 15:56 |  #8

The 100-400 HATES filters for some reason. A filter will denegrade your image quality so I only use the lens hood for protecting my glass as its very deep and does the job instead.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

hramakers
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 26, 2010 15:58 as a reply to  @ h14nha's post |  #9

Thanks all for the input!

Holger

Candor
Goldmember
4,852 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 26, 2010 19:31 |  #10

The hood is really all the protection you need imo. I have hiked well over a hundred miles with mine in all types of terrain without any mishaps. You would have to be very unlucky to cause any damage to the front element with the hood on.

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,321 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 26, 2010 19:45 as a reply to  @ Candor's post |  #11

^^Hood only, for the 100-400; you really won't need much else, and it's slow enough already without losing a stop or two to a CPL for the most part.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,594 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter for Canon 100-400mm for Birding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.